No announcement yet.

Capture the Packet - FAQ

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture the Packet - FAQ

Q) What is CTP?
    A) CTP is the ultimate network forensic scavenger hunt. In this challenge, contestants will monitor the network, look for clues, solve puzzles, and win prizes.

Q) Do I need to sign up?
    A) No. Any individual or team will be allowed to play provided there is space. Signing up early however will allow us ensure there is enough space to accommodate you.

Q) How do I sign up?

Q) What's provided for me?
    A) All teams will be provided access to the challenge server network, a span port for sniffing, table space, and power strips. Teams will be expected to provide their own computers, networking gear, and anything else which they might need. Tables are given on a first come first serve basis with priority given to those who register ahead of time.

Q) Is the network safe?
    A) The game network should be considered extremely hostile and you should connect at your own risk. While attacking other teams is not permitted, this is Defcon, you should leave any sensitive data at home.

Q) How long will the contest take?
    A) Everyone that signs up (assuming space is available) will get to play one round. Each round is only "ONE" hour. We will have several rounds to accommodate the volume of contestants. The winner of the round will be advanced to the finals.

Q) Is the contest really only one hour?
    A) Yes, you heard it right. We created this for those of you that don't want to commit an entire weekend++ to a contest.

Q) What happens if there is a tie?
    A) In the case of a tie, there will be a lightning round to break the tie.

Q) How is an event like this made possible?
    A) Check out our sponsors. (

Q) Who were the winners at Defcon 2010?
    A) The CTP Defcon 2010 winners are listed here. (

For further info, post here or email
    Last edited by RiVeRSiDE; 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM.
    Encrypt, or you'll regret it in the end.

Re: Capture the Packet - FAQ

Originally posted by RiVeRSiDE View Post
    Link for signup added to forum description. Good luck!
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Re: Capture the Packet - FAQ

Is there any schedule information for teams that have already signed up? I'm signing up to work another event and need to let them know my availability. Thanks.