Epic Win! Thank You DEFCON Shoot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Win! Thank You DEFCON Shoot

Just wanted to take some time now that I'm home from DEFCON to say thanks to the folks that made my frist experience with the DEFCON shoot a really enjoyable and safe experience.

Deviant Ollam - great job organzing this! The tables, chairs, and most of all, tents for the registered lanes were great and well worth the cost of entry. It was pretty comfortable under those tents.

Thanks to KingRat for the shirt designs and flirzan for corrdinating the orders (and graciously accomodating my shamefully late order). The shirts really came out great, and I got a lot of comments on mine.

Can't emphasize this enough: thank you to the RSOs! I swear there was almost one RSO for each tent, and they were watching things like orange-vested hawks. They did a great job watching the range, watching the shooters, and making sure everything was safe. A safe place to shoot is paramount, and the RSOs made the shoot awesome by making it safe. They put in a lot of work, and I appreciated it.

Also want to say thanks to my fellow shooters. Especially the folks in the lane next door that brought their fun toys to share. Being a Californian, shooting a full-auto MAC-10 was a huge treat. And the cannon was a crowd-pleaser.

I had a great time, as did the folks in my group. Thanks to everyone who participated, and I hope to be able to do so again next year.

Re: Epic Win! Thank You DEFCON Shoot

I would also like to express my appreciation for all the hard work by Deviant and the RSOs.
    I fired my first gun this year, a big thank you to Firmwarez for teaching a complete firearm n00b how to shoot, and to everyone who was generous enough to trust me with your guns.
    You guys rule and this unfree is already looking forward to next year.
    One of gods own prototypes.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Comment

You're most certainly welcome BigMan! Glad I brought a "complete n00b not big and scary at all starter gun" for you to try out.

If anyone got pix of ShortGrrl shooting our Uzi, please let me know!
      TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Thanks Deviant for arranging everything, and I think it ran smoothly. The $20 to shoot was well worth it, although I'll definitely be reserving a lane next year for some shade and to make it easier for others to handle my toys.

Comment

Haha, the 9mm was definitely a good starting gun, the browning was a sweet finishing gun. =)
          One of gods own prototypes.
          Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Comment

I too would like to thank Deviant, the RSO's and everyone who orginized the shoot.

I'd also like to thank Firmwarez, ShortGrrrl, ASTcell, Sintax_error and everyone who let me shoot thier hardware and taking the time to instruct me on how to do so properly and safely.

If you have photo's of me at the shoot, please PM me a link or mail it to render AT renderlab DOT net

I totally spaced on payback for ammo as I was wrapped up in the fun and loud noises. If I shot your steel and you feel I owe you something in return (cash, beer, swag) jsut let me know. Its still all a blur to me what I was doing there.
            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Scaramental Wine Taster for the Church Of WiFi
            Buy our books!
            "I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" – Adam Savage
            CoWF WPA Hash Tables
            My Pants Are Haunted! My Pants Are Haunted!

Comment

Muchos gracias from me too, especially to Firmwarez - you took care of Bigman and I, and I was lucky enough to get through a mag on your AR15 without it jamming. ;)

Thanks for organising everything Deviant - great job, looking forward to next year!

Comment

Nothing more to say that hasnt been said by others above! It has been 20+ years since I handled a firearm, so the chance to do so again was too good to miss. I will be back for the shoot next year, assuming my boss sends me out to DEFCON again.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                  I totally spaced on payback for ammo as I was wrapped up in the fun and loud noises. If I shot your steel and you feel I owe you something in return (cash, beer, swag) jsut let me know. Its still all a blur to me what I was doing there.
                  Hmmm, payback....I prefer collecting favors.

Glad you had fun! Hope your souvenir made it home safe.
                  TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
                    Hmmm, payback....I prefer collecting favors.

Glad you had fun! Hope your souvenir made it home safe.
                    Yes it did. I soaked it for 2 days in the sink to hopefully wash away any interesting odours that would get my luggage more than it's usual amount of attention. I also made sure to keep the clothes I wore at the shoot sperate and bagged to avoid any interesting results on swaps of my luggage.

This world runs on favours (and beer). Feel free to call if you need me for something

Buy our books!
                    CoWF WPA Hash Tables

Comment

i'm so pleased at the positive feedback we're seeing here. i really am looking forward to the event next year, and have a few new ideas in progress...

1. one person contacted me about sponsorship. while i don't want to ever accept direct sponsoring of the lanes and whatnot (i think that the reg system is essential in order to manage attendee size and that said registrations should cover the costs of tents, etc) i am surely interested in finding ways to better-compensate the RSOs and Security Staff. we may have more awesome packages in the future for folks in the orange and yellow vests.

2. we pay for a 24 hour rental of the tents and tables, yet use them for only two or three. if we are interested in maximizing our value, i might consider allowing folk to come out on Wednesday afternoon/evening and do some shooting when it's dusky and cool. possible campout/cookout that night, i don't know. this would definitely be on a limted-size basis without walk-in registration, i think.

all just ideas rolling around in my head. i look forward to more discussion here and in new threads soon.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

One thing I noticed was that the second shift seemed alot shorter. I think building in a 20-30 minute transition time between shifts would help with the packing/unpacking phase.

shift 1 - 20 min transition - shift 2

Just want to make sure everyone is getting their fair time.

Buy our books!
                        CoWF WPA Hash Tables

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                          2. we pay for a 24 hour rental of the tents and tables, yet use them for only two or three. if we are interested in maximizing our value, i might consider allowing folk to come out on Wednesday afternoon/evening and do some shooting when it's dusky and cool. possible campout/cookout that night, i don't know. this would definitely be on a limted-size basis without walk-in registration, i think.
                          After talking to some guys who go to the Euro camping cons, I was planning on starting a thread in the community forum to find out who else are campers/overlanders. I would love an excuse to Rover out with the roof-top tent on, and a night in the desert would be an incredible contrast to the rest of the week. I really miss camping in the desert.

A Wednesday evening event would also allow time for a demo session, such as suppressed shooting, "or things a total asshat shoots out of a big tube".

I know how touchy sponsorship is with DC. Nice thing is the shoot is unofficial, and sales droids that work for gun companies tend to be a lot more fun than those who are more mainstream corporate. The guys who made the can I use go to and do all sorts of cool things at shoots.
                          TSA luvs my Uzi.

Comment

One thing I noticed was that the second shift seemed alot shorter.
                            indeed, it felt that way to me, too. in reality, it was the same (if not a little bit more) shooting time, because we had all four firing segments delineated by cold range breaks. however, we had grown concerned about the cease-fire times being too long and we were trying to be very snappy about them, so people felt a lot more "rushed" the whole time.

also, yes... many people didn't get any real opportunity to shoot during the first hot range, since they were still setting up, unpacking, etc.

I think building in a 20-30 minute transition time between shifts would help with the packing/unpacking phase.
                            i am definitely going to do this. i am also almost certainly going to make it a three-shift day, assuming we get some means of compensating RSOs and staff so i can bring more people on board.

in my ideal world, next year would be...
                            1. Wednesday tent set-up around 15:00 or 16:00.
                            2. Small group, private sign-up, Shoot Session starting at 17:00 or 18:00.
                            3. Small group, private sign-up, Dusk Shoot at 19:00.
                            4. Group cookout and campout
                            5. Thursday morning setup around 08:00, while i have possibly gone back to the Rio to coordinate caravan
                            6. Group arrives, 09:00 orientation
                            7. Main DC Shoot Session I from 10:00 to 11:00
                            8. Lane switch break from 11:00 to 11:30
                            8. Main DC Shoot Session II from 11:30 to 12:30
                            9. Lane switch break from 12:30 to 13:00
                            10. Main DC Shoot Session III from 13:00 to 14:00
                            11. Party Rental staff shows up to tear down tents and such at 15:00 or 16:00. Tables are loaded last, so people could even be cleaning guns and such using tables and chairs.
                            That should still give folk time to drive back to the BBQ if they want to... since that doesn't really start to get seriously rolling until about 15:00, and it goes for much of the afternoon.
                            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Sounds like a great prelim schedule, Dev. I'd like to take a minute to throw some thanks the other way. As an RSO this year, I'd like to thank the shooters and spectators in attendance for having a good time and being responsible and safe about it. Had a great time all around, and another huge nod to Dev for putting it together. Here's to a win.
                              "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Working...
                              X