Short story contest Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short story contest Discussion

I did not see a page under Official or un-official contests for the Short story contest, so I am posting here..

If it's coming back I want to bring a thought that was discussed after DC19 to the table. Not sure if someone is already running it (Short Story Contest) and Not sure exactly who or how the forum meet will be ran yet, however...

Maybe the writers or someone selected by the writer can read their entry aloud at the forum meet. At the very least if the winners are announced prior to the Forum Meet the top 3 entries can be read.

I think this will give the writers a chance to see their work enjoyed publicly and it will add another dimension to the forum meet. I am bringing it up so t the powers to be can start thinking and talking about it far enough in advance to implement this if they decide to do it.

Thanks

Re: Short story contest Discussion

Originally posted by Bbox View Post
    I did not see a page under Official or un-official contests for the Short story contest, so I am posting here..

If it's coming back I want to bring a thought that was discussed after DC19 to the table. Not sure if someone is already running it (Short Story Contest) and Not sure exactly who or how the forum meet will be ran yet, however...

Maybe the writers or someone selected by the writer can read their entry aloud at the forum meet. At the very least if the winners are announced prior to the Forum Meet the top 3 entries can be read.

I think this will give the writers a chance to see their work enjoyed publicly and it will add another dimension to the forum meet. I am bringing it up so t the powers to be can start thinking and talking about it far enough in advance to implement this if they decide to do it.

Thanks
    This sounds like a fantastic idea! If they bring it back, I am thinking of competing in the writing contest.

Comment

I've been working on my entry for this year; hope it happens.

Bbox, speaking of things that aren't listed, what about the forum meet?
      TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
        Bbox, speaking of things that aren't listed, what about the forum meet?
        BBox can answer, but I'll give some info on this...

Previously, Lil_Freak has been the primary organizer of the forum meet, but she was unavailable last year. BBox stepped up, volunteered and did a really good job with running it, even though last minute changes were imposed on him by others. (Such is the way thing work at Defcon, and have worked for a long time. Though it does happen at a smaller rate than before.)

This year, I heard from headrush that lil_freak plans to be at Defcon this year. When BBox took it over last year, he said he would be happy to run it, and step aside if she returned. However, in my communication with headrush, it sounds like lil_freak would appreciate working with other people on a Forum meet.

Several days ago, I sent out a PM to BBox and Lil_Freak with a "30 day cut-off" "4 week cut-off" [edited] for reply. I asked them if they wanted to work together on this, but if there was no response in 30 days, I would just make a decision and hand it to whoever wanted to volunteer.

This may seem "political" and maybe it is, if respect for peers is part of politics. I really try hard to not disrespect volunteers that have organized contests, events or social gatherings at Defcon. Part of this means taking the time to work with people and give them time to make a decision, but also impose a deadline which provides opportunity for them to be a part of decisions, or provide a "pocket veto" through non-response. Deadlines are a reality, as the show must go on.

It is my hope that both Lil_freak and BBox will discuss this, and come to a decision and let us all know. If not, but one is interested, then after the deadline expires, or with explicit confirmation of disinterest, then we'll work to get them in contact with Nikita on resources to use for it at Defcon.

HTH,
        -Cot

[Edit: the deadline was not 30 days; it was 4 weeks, which is a difference of 2 days.]
        [Edit: comment: without volunteers, Defcon wouldn't be what it is.]
        Last edited by TheCotMan; 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM.
        tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
          It is my hope that both Lil_freak and BBox will discuss this, and come to a decision and let us all know. If not, but one is interested, then after the deadline expires, or with explicit confirmation of disinterest, then we'll work to get them in contact with Nikita on resources to use for it at Defcon.
          Update: I've received replies from both BBox and Lil_Freak. Now I am waiting to hear about what they decide. Hopefully they will announce their intentions on the forums. :-)
          tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            Update: I've received replies from both BBox and Lil_Freak. Now I am waiting to hear about what they decide. Hopefully they will announce their intentions on the forums. :-)
            Any update yet as to what's happening with the forum meet this year?
            And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
              Any update yet as to what's happening with the forum meet this year?
              Don't have anything specific yet, however we plan on doing our best to combine the abilities of everyone involved so the DC20 Forum Meet can be a great event.

Comment

Now that forum has been created, this thread has been moved into this forum for discussion with Short Story organizer and/or judges.

Redirect from old location will exist, pointing to here for 3 months.

Comment

I'm planning on entering this year, and would love to do and see a reading. If not at the Forum Meet, it could be a separate panel, or, depending on the number of entries, multiple panels. That's how it's done at non-hacker cons, like the upcoming Norwescon, which often have entire panel tracks dedicated to author readings.

Comment

Originally posted by jamgrrl View Post
                    I'm planning on entering this year, and would love to do and see a reading. If not at the Forum Meet, it could be a separate panel, or, depending on the number of entries, multiple panels. That's how it's done at non-hacker cons, like the upcoming Norwescon, which often have entire panel tracks dedicated to author readings.
                    Jamgrrl,

I am glad to hear that you are planning on submitting work and would like to read it aloud. If writers are actually interested in reading aloud it may be easier to get something going.

Nothing has been officially set with the Short Story contest powers to be, however I am hoping we will be able to set something up with them so at least some of the participants or winners will read them or have them read aloud at the Forum Meet.

Looking forward to reading your story,
                    Bbox

P.S. Reading or not, be sure to create a forum avatar badge, if you don't already have one (see link below) and stop by the Forum Meet and say hello and meet face to face with others from the Defcon Forum Community.

Forum Meet Avatar Badge link
                    http://defcon.stotan.org/faq/avatar.htm

Comment

ShortGrrl has said before she will read my previous submissions at the forum meet if so desired. I really didn't want to say too much because I'm working on one for this year, but I think that could be a lot of fun, particularly if standard flub rules apply.
                      TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
                        particularly if standard flub rules apply.
                        Ok, (before my imagination gets the best of me) explain to me the "Stanard flub rules"

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bbox View Post
                          Jamgrrl,

Nothing has been officially set with the Short Story contest powers to be, however I am hoping we will be able to set something up with them so at least some of the participants or winners will read them or have them read aloud at the Forum Meet.

http://defcon.stotan.org/faq/avatar.htm
                          It's cool with me!
                          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                            It's cool with me!

Awesome! Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                            X