Contest is Now Open:RTFM Below

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest is Now Open:RTFM Below

The contest is now open and will close June 1st, 2013.
    People choice poll will be opened on June 1st and it will close June 10th
    All winners will be announced on forum June 11th.

WHAT WE WANT:

Please submit to DCshortstory at gmail dot com.
    Please submit ONLY in a .txt file.
    Please keep your short stories, an actual SHORT story.
    Leave the manuscripts and 404 page novels to your publisher and agents.

THEME FOR THE CONTEST 2013: DEFCON is 21. Hard to believe it's been so long! Some of you have been a part of it for half of your life, some of you weren't even born when it began.
    It,and the world, hacking itself, computing technology, all sciences, they have all come a long way. The "God Particle" is a reality, we can custom print medical implants, we even have the beginning of a "mutual hallucination matrix." It has happened lightning fast and should continue to happen exponentially. Ponder the changes in the world from 1992 to now.

Then give us your best guess of the world, and DEFCON, in ANOTHER 21 years, during the year 2034.

Please keep your stories in tune with our community, we want stories about hackers, hacking, science, technology, nerdy things, geeky things, zombie things, making things work the way they were never intended to work.
    Story must include the DEFCON convention in some way, either located at it, or influenced by it, or populated by characters connected to it, as a few examples.

WHAT YOU GET:

We will be putting ALL of the short story entries on the Conference DVD and we will be listing the winners in the Conference program in a short blurb, letting everyone know they can check the forums and dvd to read more.
    The winners will get recognition in the printed program, there will be no event at DEFCON Closing Ceremony.

First place winner will receive two human badges.
    Second place winner will receive one human badge.
    Peoples choice winner ( voted by the community) will receive one human badge.
    Everyone will get their story on the DVD, and the winners will be announced in the program.

Tips for winning:

Spell check, grammar check, watch your tenses and your "voice."
    Follow the rules as mentioned above.
    Write a good story.
    Bribing the judges sometimes works but since this is an online only contest let's just say it had better not be bitcoin.
    "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Re: Contest is Now Open:RTFM Below

Originally posted by eris View Post
    The contest is now open and will close June 1st, 2013.

Then give us your best guess of the world, and DEFCON, in ANOTHER 21 years, during the year 2034.
    Ouch. That's less than 4 weeks to put my story 21 years in the future. Don't know if that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by reminy View Post
      Ouch. That's less than 4 weeks to put my story 21 years in the future. Don't know if that will happen.
      Unfortunately, the deadlines are to meet the convention deadlines for printing and such. I realize it is short notice, but it is also a short story. It need not be too long and too complicated. You do not have to create an entire world history, just a story with enough details to make your piece of it real. Don't let it overwhelm you.

You don't win, if you don't try and others may feel the same as you. You never know how many won't try at all.

Last year the contest opened in March. Unfortunately, I was involved in some personal business that month that took all my time. April was a catch up month with daily life and getting the judges sorted and what not. It happens sometimes. It won't happen again next year. However, I do apologize to everyone for me not having my shit together on this until so late.

Comment

Hey, life happens, man. Don't sweat the small stuff; hope all is well now.
        They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist
        - Last words of General John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by rjsquirrel View Post
          Hey, life happens, man. Don't sweat the small stuff; hope all is well now.
          Things are getting sorted, almost back to normal now. Thanks!

Comment

Do we need to avoid all swear words, or is it ok as long as we're not obscene about it? I dimly remember some objection in years past.

Comment

Almost done with the thang.

Comment

Originally posted by davien View Post
                Do we need to avoid all swear words, or is it ok as long as we're not obscene about it? I dimly remember some objection in years past.

Please keep in mind that your story will be published in the conference schedule. Which means they will be in the hands of every attendee including minors. Keep it to a minimum and in context to the character or story. Thank you for asking!

Comment

Quick question - do you want line breaks or no line breaks
                  in the submissions?

Comment

Originally posted by reminy View Post
                    Quick question - do you want line breaks or no line breaks
                    in the submissions?
                    Line breaks are fine. Ensure your text format final version looks the way you wish it to look, ie, your paragraphs end where your creativity wishes them to do in the context of your story.

Comment

CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED FOR 2013. ALL AWARDS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

Comment

Working...
                      X