Recruiting agents for the DefCon DarkNet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting agents for the DefCon DarkNet

The DefCon DarkNet Project is a simple ARG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game) set in the world of Daemon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QP4NPE/) and Freedom(tm) (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VUFKDY/) by Daniel Suarez.

The goals of the game are simple:
    1: Get players to learn skills they might not have otherwise learned.
    2: Get players to do things they might not have otherwise done.
    3: Get players to meet people they might not have otherwise met.

We are doing this by sending players on quests to learn skills (make themselves better), do things (make their community better), and meet people (build that community.) Think of it as a real-life MMO. (This will make a heck of a lot more sense if you've read the books. If you haven't, I highly recommend them, they're fantastic.)

We will have several quest chains to send players on. A few examples are:
    - Learn to solder, pick locks, break WEP, etc. Here's how.
    - Meet DarkTangent, LosT, or similar DefCon celebrity.
    - Go to such-and-such presentation on an important skill for our community.
    - Meet up with other DarkNet agents at this location at this time, team up, and attack this wireless network (or whatever.)

At this point, we have much of this built, or being built, but we need more help. We are recruiting new agents to help get the DarkNet kickstarted.

Skills we need:
    - A web designer. The http://dcdark.net site sucks balls. (I made it. It sucks. :-)
    - Physical construction. Many of these quests have physical components, and I I just don't have time to build all of them myself.
    - Quest Designers. Do you know how to teach people to pick locks? Spoof RFID? Some other useful skill? We need you.
    - Ideas for more quests. The more, the merrier. Side quests and alternate paths are good too.

If you think you can help with any of these, please let me know. DMs here with email addresses would be best.

Re: Recruiting agents for the DefCon DarkNet

I can help throw together a WordPress site :D
    -Sqr7

Comment

I loved the books, so I am interested in this as well.

I would like to learn more about this but the site appears to be down.

Let me know how I can help, or contribute.
      There are techs that solve problems and there are techs that call other techs to solve problems.
      Which one are you?

Comment

This sounds like fun. Can't wait for more information to become available.

Comment

hi All,
          i am a professional penetration tester, i will be very happy if i can help you,

Comment

I can offer space and some webdesign maybe..
            or at least graphics and art work...

email: contact (a) marymconley (dot) com

Comment

Hope the site gets fixed soon, we promoted your contest yesterday!
              The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
              PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                Hope the site gets fixed soon, we promoted your contest yesterday!
                It seems the site is only available via HTTPS. https://dcdark.net

It looks like there is still a database issue on the sidebar, though.

Comment

Been on the infrastructure side of IT for quite a while and would love to help out wherever I can!

Comment

Holy crap! Why haven't I been notified of all these replies? I blame the gnomes! Yes! That must be it..

..err.. I'm really sorry for not responding sooner. Here's a quick status update: Thank you to everyone who offered to help, but I think we've got the help we need for this year. If anything else comes up, I'll reach out.

DT: I fixed the website yesterday. HTTPS always worked, but I put a redirector on HTTP pointing to HTTPS. I also set STS on the HTTPS side. Similarly, that score board that was generating the DB errors was old and no longer valid. I've removed it entirely for the time being. We're working on a replacement site right now.

More info in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                      Holy crap! Why haven't I been notified of all these replies? I blame the gnomes! Yes! That must be it.[chop].
                      The forums can let you know about activity in a thread when you subscribe to get updates. The same is true of PM.

If you do not subscribe to a thread, you won't get updates to it.

You can configure your default forum settings to subscribe to all posts/threads you create, but that is not enabled by default.

However, once you get any notification by email, no new notifications are sent until you login.

Also, there is a short window where you don't logout, and don't visit again, where the forum will eventually timeout your session unless a new auth with stored cookie info/validation appears as a result of another visit. Replies in this window of a few minutes won't get emailed to you, because the forums think you are still logged-in to see it.

Next, if the mail server and account associated with your forum account rejects mail being sent, you won't see the mail notification.

Last, it is common for mail from the forums to sometimes be incorrectly classified as spam, ending up in a spam folder.

Good luck!
                      tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

I am interested in assisting with the darknet.

I have over 20 years experience in the IT industry including but not limited to:
                        System Design, Architecture and Administration
                        Messaging systems (Exchange primarily)
                        Computer Forensics (former ENCE and ACE certified) given expert testimony in Texas state court and been deposed by the DOJ
                        Hobbies:
                        Electronics - Skilled in soldering and building electronic circuits from schematics and on the fly. experimented with Arduino programming and integration.
                        Amature Radio - General class amature operator with a 2M / 440 rig at home. experience in designing custom antennas.
                        Radio control - 25 years experience building and flying RC aircraft. Currently an instructor for an RC field north of Houston, TX.
                        I am a licensed private pilot with an instrument rating.
                        Flight simulation - 20 years experience in flight simulation technologies.

Comment

Encryption/Decryption expertise needed

***FLASH***

The DarkNet Daemon is rapidly acquiring cryptographical expertise. Operatives are strongly recommended to acquire GPG encryption software before conference.

Helpful guide:
                          http://futureboy.us/pgp.html

***COMMUNICATION ENDS

Comment

Tor software expertise needed

***FLASH***
                            The Daemon may communicate important messages which will only be accessible using Tor software. Operatives are highly recommended to install and test Tor software before conference.

Recommended links:

Tor Browser Bundle: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

For Android: Orbot https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en and Orweb: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roject.browser

***COMMUNICATION_ENDS

Comment

Re: Encryption/Decryption expertise needed

Someone taking my name in vane...?
                              Originally posted by Fletch F Fletch View Post
                              The DarkNet Daemon
                              Ah, nope... Not me. Nothing to see here.

Although this whole idea is very, very interesting! *flag for updates*
                              GnuPG-Fingerprint:
                              F164 738F 16BF FDBF F0B6 5720 C986 8AF7 5F41 97BE

V5 vi veri Vniversum vivus vici

Comment

Working...
                              X