"Watch The Carnage" Network visualization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Watch The Carnage" Network visualization

I hope this is place to put this. I'm going to be using some open source software I developed to create a 3D, real time visualization of the DefCon WiFi network(s). Specifically, I'll be using an IDS to spot malicious or otherwise interesting traffic and feed those events, and a dynamic network model, to the visualization software.

I've already gotten the go-ahead from Nikita/DT/Pyr0 to set up in the contest area, but I thought people might be interested to hear about it. If I have time, I'm going to build a simple game in too, e.g., See how many critical attacks you can identify and block in 60 seconds. Sort of a 3D Missile Command.

Look forward to seeing / meeting some of you there!
    Dan

Re: "Watch The Carnage" Network visualization

Dan,

If you would like a smaller venue to give a talk and demo of your software to others please let me know and we can schedule a date/time in the Wireless Village. I am sure the Wireless enthusiast would be very interested.

DaKahuna
    DaKahuna

Comment

DaKahuna,
      Sounds great! I'll drop you an email to figure out the logistics. You can check out the software at Gibson3D.org.

Comment

I am confirming with Nikia and Pyr0 that this has received a nod from one of them.

No nod, no forum.
        tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Got confirmation from Nikita, but I suggest you quickly fill out the RFI requested by pyro ... it might be too late to get your info into the program, but it will likely help you in other ways:

If you can provide a forum description (short, like under 255 chars, or one or two sentences) then I can make a forum for this.

Do you have a twitter feed for this? Site link? Wiki? Other URL to add to the description? Please let me know, and I can add them. These are not required but can help people that are interested in learning more, or finding out about last-minute updates or changes.
          tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Great! I submitted the RFI to Pyr0 right after I heard from Nikita - in early May, I think. Here is a blurb for the forum:

View the DefCon network activity as a 3D model, in real time. Take a turn flying through it and trying to find your friends. Try to set off the IDS in to make a cool visual. See if it's really "the most hostile network on Earth."

Twitter is @dklinedinst and the URL for the software / project is http://www.gibson3d.org. Contact information is dan at bizling dot com.

Thanks a lot!
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dklinedinst View Post
              Great! I submitted the RFI to Pyr0 right after I heard from Nikita - in early May, I think. Here is a blurb for the forum:

View the DefCon network activity as a 3D model, in real time. Take a turn flying through it and trying to find your friends. Try to set off the IDS in to make a cool visual. See if it's really "the most hostile network on Earth."

Twitter is @dklinedinst and the URL for the software / project is http://www.gibson3d.org. Contact information is dan at bizling dot com.

Thanks a lot!
              Dan
              Forum created using your provided description with a link to the site provided at the end of the description.

This thread has been moved into this forum, with a redirect, expiring in 2 months in the old location, pointing here.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for getting me set up!

Comment

=dklinedinst;120329, I'll be using an IDS to spot malicious or otherwise interesting traffic and feed those events, and a dynamic network model, to the visualization software.Dan
                  " "malicious or otherwise interesting traffic ""

Dan,

I have read the info on the link and have seen the posts between you and others about your project and find this very interesting. I was hoping you might give a quick, bit less sophisticated explanation of the type of information from the wireless network you will be displaying and how it works for some of us less savvy followers.

Thanks

Comment

Glad to! So, my software, Gibson, can create a 3D model of all the computers on the local network. Picture a 3D video game like Quake or something... you can move around in the model, zoom in, browse, search, etc. Then, I take the network traffic to and from those computers and use an intrusion detection system to look for anything that I consider interesting. The "interesting" events are depicted in the model as moving objects that interact with the computer that is doing them.

What is "interesting"? Well, the default rules of an IDS will look for possible security events, like someone downloading a virus or launching an attack on someone else. But, it being DefCon, I thought there would be other things people might want to see. For example, how many people go to .mil or .gov websites while they're at DefCon? How many people look at pr0n? How many visit script kiddie sites like /b/, or good security sites like Exotic Liability, or genuine black hat sites like [REDACTED]?

Make sense? Sound fun?

Comment

Originally posted by dklinedinst View Post
                      Make sense? Sound fun?
                      Yes very clear, Thanks.

I will be looking forward to seeing your project in action!

Comment

Working...
                      X