Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video of the goon band (any online yet?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of the goon band (any online yet?)

I took video of many things at Defcon, and a single fixed-point of the Goon Band with Standard Definition video was taken at the Rio. I de-interlaced it, converted to 600x400 resolution, encoded video with xvid, set audio to be mp3, and put that all in an avi container. This file has been sent to Chris for review. He and the rest of the goon band can decide if they want to publish it or not. I have extended Full Copyright to all members of the Goon band, and opportunity to license it however they want, for profit or not, whatever they want to do with it.

Original was about 5-6GB mpg, which was edited down to around 4.2GB for the start and end of the show, then re-encoded as described above..

Size: 1182809614 bytes
    md5um: 9e26354484208c7f38e3f116dd3ac4c1 goon-band-recognize-dc19-edited_deinterlace+xvid+mp3.avi

It plays for me with Xine and mplayer, and workes (for me) in windows when I have support for xvid included for Windows Media Player.

As I understand, other people took video, and recorded audio. The audio quality on my video is so-so, and there are occasional issues with auto focus when zooming in to view members of the band done only for a tiny portion of the full recording. There is some vibration in the footage as I dragged the table to a different location to try to get a better shot of the drummer, too.

I can probably abuse my authority and put it on one of the Defcon servers for a limited time as available for download if Chris says the band says ok. Then we can torrent from there with seeders having downloaded it directly. (This may take a while. I *just* got this file to Chris this morning, over 1 month after Defcon ended.)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; 09-10-2011, 02:19 AM.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Re: Video of the goon band (any online yet?)

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    I took video of many things at Defcon, and a single fixed-point of the Goon Band with Standard Definition video was taken at the Rio. I de-interlaced it, converted to 600x400 resolution, encoded video with xvid, set audio to be mp3, and put that all in an avi container. This file has been sent to Chris for review. He and the rest of the goon band can decide if they want to publish it or not. I have extended Full Copyright to all members of the Goon band, and opportunity to license it however they want, for profit or not, whatever they want to do with it.

Original was about 5-6GB mpg, which was edited down to around 4.2GB for the start and end of the show, then re-encoded as described above..

Size: 1182809614 bytes
    md5um: 9e26354484208c7f38e3f116dd3ac4c1 goon-band-recognize-dc19-edited_deinterlace+xvid+mp3.avi

It plays for me with Xine and mplayer, and workes (for me) in windows when I have support for xvid included for Windows Media Player.

As I understand, other people took video, and recorded audio. The audio quality on my video is so-so, and there are occasional issues with auto focus when zooming in to view members of the band done only for a tiny portion of the full recording. There is some vibration in the footage as I dragged the table to a different location to try to get a better shot of the drummer, too.

I can probably abuse my authority and put it on one of the Defcon servers for a limited time as available for download if Chris says the band says ok. Then we can torrent from there with seeders having downloaded it directly. (This may take a while. I *just* got this file to Chris this morning, over 1 month after Defcon ended.)
    Thanks for the video Cot. I split a couple of the songs off last night and posted them on the Goon Band facebook group page. I plan to put the full video up for download early next week (have to get an HD replaced first). I would also like to get a hold of any other videos that people may have and mix them together. Your audio, btw, is far superior to the audio on Russ' recording (I've seen his full recording but don't have a copy).

Thanks again and I'll post a link to the full video early next week.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Re: Video of the goon band (any online yet?)

Originally posted by Bbox
      I am thinking at a future Con you need to give a Talk on time management
      For you, Deviant Ollam and others interested in the time management topic:

I have moved that topic to a new thread; Time management and Defcon. Don't worry about the off-topic issue. I've made a new thread. We'll avoid this as an issue by carrying on that conversation there, while continuing this topic on Defcon Goon Band video from DC19 here. :-)

This should allow this thread to return back to discussion of online recordings as audio or video of the goon band for Defcon 19 and that thread work on with a new topic..

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Thanks for the video Cot. I split a couple of the songs off last night and posted them on the Goon Band facebook group page.
      Cool, it was good to see you all play at Defcon. :-)

Sorry I took so long to get around to get this done and back to you.

I plan to put the full video up for download early next week (have to get an HD replaced first).
      Happy to abuse my authority on Defcon servers to download the whole video for a while until people get copies to seed a torrent.

I would also like to get a hold of any other videos that people may have and mix them together.
      Yeah, that is something I am interested in too. Someone at Defcon, I think the guy that was setting up your mixing board, suggested merging all video and audio content to make a better looking video with audio from the board, which should be better than the audio track in my video donation.

Your audio, btw, is far superior to the audio on Russ' recording (I've seen his full recording but don't have a copy).
      I have not seen his video, but let me guess on the problem... Was the audio too loud to be properly recorded because it overdrove the microphone resulting in cutting-out or muffled sounds when heavy bass was used? That happened to me the first year I recorded your first show, because I was in the audience in front of the speakers. Even with some post-capture correction, the damage was done. This year, I decided to record from the side, and not be in the direct line of the speakers.

The work GodMinusOne did with your practice sessions online before Defcon did well with the audio sampling.

Thanks again and I'll post a link to the full video early next week.
      Thank you and the band for the free show at Defcon. :-D
      Last edited by TheCotMan; 09-11-2011, 12:17 AM.
      tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Working...
      X