The HackBus trip to Defcon 19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HackBus trip to Defcon 19

The HackBus has been attending Defcon since DC15, each year greatly improving upon the last.

Last year we met our goals of improving the efficiency and reliability. We accomplished this with a new (rebuilt) engine. We made it in a record time, thanks to maintaining higher speeds up the steep hills along the route and a low engine temperature.

This year, rider comfort is the top priority. We have scheduled a trip to the mechanic for the mechanical improvements to the ride and we have begun the process of implementing fully functional air conditioning.

Looking toward the future, amenities and aesthetics become the priority. This includes various creature/geek comforts along with a new paint job.

Information
    Our mission is to provide economical and entertaining transportation to and from Defcon, the Defcon Shoot, and the Toxic BBQ. We do not charge for the ride to the Defcon Shoot or the Toxic BBQ. We do take donations however, both at Defcon and on paypal. If you are interested in getting some recognition or being a sponsor, contact me to work something out.

In an effort to maintain an internet presence at all times, we have a distributed domain ownership and hosting structure. At the present time, hackbus.net is the only one in operation. However, the forums at hackb.us are said to reappear in the near future as is the intended main site hackbus.com.

On the topic of an internet presence, we will have a live video stream of the trip and be updating our Twitter and Facebook.

Trip
    The following information may not be entirely accurate, for the most current information visit hackbus.net.

Currently, we are not able to quote the price of the trip, it will likely be determined in mid-June. In the past, it was 80 round trip, with 40 for one-way travel.

Going to Las Vegas
    Departing the bay area: August 3, 2011 @ ~1000
    Arriving Las Vegas: August 3, 2011 @ ~2200
    Coming back from Las Vegas
    Departing Las Vegas: August 8, 2011 @ ~1100
    Arriving the bay area: August 8, 2011 @ ~2300

Contact
    I have email alerts for this thread along with private messages, so I should notice any questions that arise. That said, the best way to contact me is via email.
    Last edited by EvilMoFo; 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM. Reason: domation info, minor changes

Re: The HackBus trip to Defcon 19

Originally posted by EvilMoFo View Post
    Our mission is to provide economical and entertaining transportation to and from Defcon, the Defcon Shoot, and the Toxic BBQ. We do not charge for the ride to the Defcon Shoot or the Toxic BBQ. We do take donations however, both at Defcon and on paypal. If you are interested in getting some recognition or being a sponsor, contact me to work something out.
    EvilMofo contacted me about adding this link to paypal from the forums, and if it would be a spam violation. Normally, asking for donations would be a spam issue, but when it is not the primary reason for a thread, like this, I am more likely to permit exception. This exception for request for donation as a minor part of a larger topic with many other details has been approved by me.

Any mod can approve something that might be advertising or spamming. Since there has been confusion on this with no comment on why one "ad" was allowed and another was not, I am including this post to explain this is an exception, and was arranged before being added.

I think the Toxic BBQ had a similar exception for letting people know there was an account to accept donations for it through paypal, too, but it too was not the primary reason for the thread. Instead it was a short comment as part of an overall announcement on the event.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheCotMan; 05-05-2011, 12:46 AM.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

You guys are seriously installing functioning air conditioning?

Did...did you ever know that you're my hero?

You are the wind beneath my wings!

(tears up)
      The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

The AC has been ordered and will soon (before con, we swear) be on it's way and installed. It is sad to see the true test of the AC, 50 people jammed in like sardines going between the BBQ and the hotel, has been canceled however.

Without a post in the ride share forum, we seem to be at capacity. I say seem since a few people have yet to make a definitive answer. In the event there are any spots available, I will post on the forum first; though I highly doubt that will be the case.

Comment

where in the bay area are you leaving from/returning to?
          It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

The bus leaves from and returns to Solano county. For a more accurate location, a PM to EvilMoFo would be the way to go.
            Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Hey, I've tried securing a ride on the bus, but I have yet to hear any sort of confirmation concerning a guarantee. How do I know if I have a spot on the bus?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidParker View Post
                Hey, I've tried securing a ride on the bus, but I have yet to hear any sort of confirmation concerning a guarantee. How do I know if I have a spot on the bus?
                How have you tried to contact me?

In any case, email me at evilmofo@evilmofo.com and we can straighten it out.

Edit: Actually, I will send you a PM.
                Last edited by EvilMoFo; 07-26-2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

The AC is fully installed and functioning.

Comment

Air Conditioning? Alternating Current?

Both?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                      Air Conditioning? Alternating Current?

Both?
                      Yes, both.

On that note, I just switched the website to run the live stream. Currently, we are doing the final cleanup.

We intend to leave at 10AM, with wiggle room for stragglers until 10:30AM. You should be here by 9:30AM, as the email stated.

If you expect to get a ride from BART and have not let me know, you need to call or text me immediately at (724) 638-7467.

If you have talked to me about a ride and do not know where to meet, call or text (724) 638-7467 immediately.

Comment

Working...
                      X