• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives Eatup to the Toxic BBQ

So a few people have voiced ideas to meet up at an alternative location
    since the Toxic BBQ is cancelled. The Carnival Buffet at the Rio has
    been suggested by a few and In-n-out Burger was suggested by some
    others.

Ideas suggestions, how many people are actually game to do this?

Makino Sushi Buffet was an option at (DC17) but we went with Todai.
    I thought Sushi Factory (DC16) was better. Makino has good reviews online
    and is Sushi Factory style, its all you can eat, but you order.

All of these locations are a quick cab ride from Rio. A lot closer than it was from
    the Riv.
    Rio - Carnival Buffet (6pm) ~$25
    47.06%
    In-N-Out Burger (6pm) (2.2 Miles from Con)
    17.65%
    Sushicon @ Sushi Factory (6pm) (3.4 Miles from Con) ~$25
    5.88%
    Sushicon @ Makino (6pm) (1.7miles from con) ~$25
    29.41%
    Last edited by [Syntax]; 07-16-2011, 05:48 PM.

Re: Alternatives Eatup to the Toxic BBQ

Why 6pm????
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
      Why 6pm????
      People will need a cab if we do some other location, and you cant do much later because people will want to get back in time for other stuff going on. 5pm is a bit early if we do the Buffet which is onsite.

I just talked to GM1 and I've decided to offer up a Sushi location since Sushicon wasn't on the menu for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax] View Post
        People will need a cab if we do some other location, and you cant do much later because people will want to get back in time for other stuff going on. 5pm is a bit early if we do the Buffet which is onsite.

I just talked to GM1 and I've decided to offer up a Sushi location since Sushicon wasn't on the menu for this year.
        The reason I asked, is the ToxicBBQ has always been earlier than 6pm. I guess I should say, if anyone wants to do either of the Buffet's at 5pm, let me know. Since that's like 8pm EST, that's probably the latest I want to eat on Thursday.
        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

I like to eat.
          "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Food and chaos will happen you can count on it.
            There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I thought the pre-defcon party at the AP was suggested as an option? Granted, bring your own food and grill is a slight downside for that option.

In the end, the HackBus likely will help greatly improve attendance to an offsite Toxic BBQ substitute.

Comment

So, the issue with all these alternatives is that I sorta am lined up to bring a keg to the BBQ. Now, I am a little slow compared to this crowd (having just this evening heard the BBQ is cancelled), but every option mentioned, including AP, has issues regarding bringing said keg.

Well, the keg is coming to Vegas, and I would hate to have it return with any left, so while I like every idea so far mentioned...it makes me very sad to think of my poor, lonely keg, stuck in my hotel room, crying out in the night for any human company. It's just cruel.

So I just thought I would throw that out there. Actually the parking lot idea kinda was exciting to me; If DT and you bigwhigs pulled some strings with RIo, perhaps they would look the other way, for a little while or something?

Worst comes to worst, everyone will be invited to a room party, but those rooms aren't big, so we will have to be pretty darn friendly if a lot of you show up. And hey, thank you to Londo & the others, man, it is your hard work that makes us so bummed that this year is fffffffft
                The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

I'm trying to organize "in-n-out con", but I don't want to conflict with any official replacement for the toxic bbq.

Comment

One year I recall a keg in the bathtub chock full of ice....

Comment

sorry guys I'm poorer than ever this year so my primary vote gots to In-n-Out con that said sushi is a close second and I may be able to shell out the extra $20 or so sense sushi is always worth it ;P

Comment

I've been talking to a lot of people. Some are tied to the Rio because they are staff, others are limited by money, the BBQ was free, now were talking $25. The poll so far is showing an even split of people willing to do sushi, stay at the hotel for the buffet, or go to in and out. I don't think any location will be a perfect replacement.

Ideally I think maybe a few locations should happen. The sushi place isn't going to be able to hand a crowd of 30+ at one time without orders coming out slow.

Comment

Syntax, you've just pointed out the biggest problem that exists with organizing something on a large scale. It's really complicated to get a large group of con attendees to go to the same place at the same time. Then, once there, the venue has to be able to accommodate a large group of often rowdy con attendees.

Your idea of multiple venues is a good one. I think it would work really well if there was something along the lines of "UNOFFICIAL MEET-UP EAT-UP!!! Meet at In-n-out, sushi place, buffet foo or random grass bar at 6pm!!" posted/broadcast to anyone interested. That way no single venue gets slammed, those among us who are broke can eat a burger instead of sushi, and those who want to kill a lot of food can hit the buffet.

As for getting to and from said venue, well, everyone is on their own. I'm sure the HackBus will be making a trip to one of the locations, so that will help ferry some people. But beyond that, without a centralized location that can hold all of us the logistics alone will be a detriment.

I agree that the AP would be awesome, but without the consent of the venue, I foresee bad things happening.

As far as kegs go. I vaguely remember someone walking around carrying kegs on his back dispensing alcohol, then other kegs being given to different groups of people for consumption and dispersal as necessary. Trust me, if you bring a full keg and want to leave with an empty one, you'll have no problems doing just that.
                          Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

As usual, everyone has really gone above & beyond to be helpful regarding all this, and I know I am not the only one who appreciates it. In all reality, outside of some interesting flash mob potentials, anything done will ALAS! be but a shadow to the Toxic; the Toxic was my entire purpose of bringing the keg, and now to top it off, the brewer who promised me one, told me today they don't even have kegs. But that's another story...

So I guess my last contrib here is that I WILL procure a *#$% keg somehow, it will NOT go home empty, and Thursday night, anyone who wants to kill it will be welcome to try, and unless someone comes up with a good venue it will be at a wicked room party designed to see how the new place withstands 'liveliness' (once again, here I must mention that I reserved my room outside of DC, so no worries).

Thanks to everyone who worked this issue. TOXIC 2012 RULZ!
                            The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

FYI for those who are looking for cheaper options or what have you, I've got a planning thread going for "In-n-out con".

https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=12363

I agree there probably should be multiple options, with the attendance I saw at the BBQ last year, it would overwhelm any one place that was picked.

Comment

Working...
                              X