X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCCC DEFCON 20 Offical Rules

General Parameters

Teams will be tasked with cooling an air-temperature beverage in the quickest and most creative way possible cooled to the target temperature of 42 Fahrenheit.
    Competing teams should consist entirely of badge-wearing DefCon attendees and should not exceed three people
    Teams must pre-register for this competition in a signup thread in the "Unofficial Contests" area of the DefCon forums.
    All contestant beverage will be of similar consistency and have the same starting temp, but exactly what their temperature will be is not completely predictable since we will be setting up outside and working during an uncertain time frame.
    Contestant contraptions won't be judged on cooling speed alone
    Any beverage that passes through a team's contraption will become the property of that team and may be distributed to bystanders, but the contest organizers shall have no control nor responsibility of such distribution and consumption by third parties

Specific Requirements

All contraptions will be tasked with cooling the beverage by nearly any means necessary.
    The contest will provide the beverage. You cannot provide your own beverage during the contest.
    No commercial appliances.
    All contraptions must be constructed and designed by the team.
    Power will be available but is by no means is required.
    The goal is to have the fastest time to cool 12oz beverage and have them transferred into cups at the target temperature.
    Due to potential foam issues multiple cups will be allowed per beverage poured.
    There will be 3 separate runs for time/Temperature
    The temperature will be measured in each cup as it is being transferred.
    The target temperature is 42.
    Time will be added for each degree off of the target temperature.
    Time will be subtracted for each 12oz beverage cooled and transferred into cups
    The contest starts at 1:00pm on Saturday

Scoring

Total Time for the 3 timed beverage: time in seconds
    Off target scoring: +5 seconds added for each degree off target (no penalty if on target)
    per 12oz beverage cooled: -.25 seconds (You can cool as many beverage as you can, not just the 3 timed beverage.)
    note: the total number beverages we will have is not unlimited. We will eventually run out of them.
    +5 seconds added for flavor tainting and ie: a metallic taste or other off-notes to their beverage
    +5 seconds added for completely flat beverage
    +1 seconds added for each incident of spillover - Try not to waste our precious beverages.

Fastest total time WINS!

Prizes

Prizes will be given for:
    BCCC Winner (1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes)
    Team Style prize
    Design prize
    Last edited by Nz0; 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM.
    Paid for by the Our Thing Foundation

Re: BCCC DEFCON 20 Offical Rules

Hey guys!

The BCCC is gonna be great this year! This is always a fun contest. I can't wait to see all
    crazy contraptions you guys come up with.

I promise you the beverages will be darker and have more flavor than in years past.
    The winners will be awarded trophies that you can drink from in addition to the prizes.

-Nz0

Comment

Originally posted by Nz0 View Post
      The target temperature is 42.

Do you want to clarify this as 42 Fahrenheit? Celsius? Kelvin? Réaumur?

Or does any measure of 42 count? I think that would make it more interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
        Do you want to clarify this as 42 Fahrenheit? Celsius? Kelvin? Réaumur?

Or does any measure of 42 count? I think that would make it more interesting!
        Lawl. Well, I don't know how you drink your cooled beverages but, Fahrenheit should be the obvious choice.

It is likely that from the starting ambient temp of the beverages moving the temp to 42 Celsius or 42 Réaumur would make it the Beverage Heating Contraption Contest. This contest however, is a contest about cooling beverages.

To Eliminate such confusion, I'll edit the rules to show 42 Fahrenheit just for you Tacitus.

I'll keep my eye open for a 42 Kelvin temperature beverage to serve you at the con.

Comment

Working...
        X