Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2012 Ninja Networks Badge/Event

Hello all,

On behalf of Ninja Networks, it is with great pleasure that we celebrate the arrival of DEFCON 20 with one final Ninja Badge and Event.

The last ten years of Ninja Parties and Badges have been an amazing experience, but the momentum is simply impossible (and impractical) to sustain, at least inside the confines of DEFCON. It's time for a change, but not before we have one last hurrah.

With that in mind, we've stepped back and put a lot of thought into this year's festivities, particularly as it applies to the badge. We've always had this "what if we could..." idea in the back of our heads, and this year we finally decided to do it.

The 2012 Ninja Badge is not just a badge, but part of a bigger picture - a retrospective experience that we hope evokes a certain nostalgia for a bygone era of technology. It's more complex and larger in scope than anything we've ever tried.

Will it work? Who's to say? But, if it blows up in our faces, it'll be just as epic.

As usual, the 2012 Ninja Badge will be distributed starting Wednesday or Thursday during the week leading up to DEFCON. It will be important again to get your badge as early as possible.

FAQ below.

We'll see you there...and thanks, everyone.

-barkode

Here's the FAQ:

Q: What is the Ninja Badge?
    A: The Ninja Badge is not an official DEFCON badge. It's a special badge distributed by Ninja Networks at no cost to individuals who we feel have made a positive impact on not only us as individuals, but on the hacker community (or the world) at large. It is our way of showing thanks to those who make our world a better place. Consider your Ninja Badge a token of our appreciation.

The Ninja Badge is also an invitation to the annual Ninja Party, held Saturday night.

Q: If I've never had one before, how do I get one?
    A: Great question. With likely 15,000 people at DEFCON and 600 Ninja Badges to distribute, it's not a great ratio, particularly considering that a large portion of them go to DEFCON alumni, so to speak. It's very much a friends and family system.

This is a problem we struggle with every year. It's not a perfect system, and it's largely social in nature. If you're someone who positively contributes to the community, we'd love to meet you. Find some friends who already have Ninja Badges, that's a great icebreaker. :)

Q: Is there another way to get a Ninja Badge if I don't manage to socialize myself into one?
    A: Yes! Many DEFCON contest organizers are given Ninja Badges to distribute as prizes in their contests. So go to the contest area and dig in!

Q: Can i buy a Ninja Badge?
    A: No, they are always given away at no charge. (...and selling them is super, super lame.)

Q: What are the technical specs of the Ninja Badge?
    A: That information will be revealed the week of the conference. :)

Q: Will the Ninja Badge be hackable?
    A: Oh you betcha.

Q: I need to talk to someone on the Ninja Staff about my badge, how can I find them?
    A: Ninja Staff wear black Ninja Badges. You can also find us at the Ninja Table in the vendor area.

Q: I'm with the press/government/interpol/etc, how can I contact you?
    A: Visit http://www.ninjas.org/badges/ and dig around for an email address.

Q: If I have a badge, can I bring a friend to the Ninja Party?
    A: Yes! Your Ninja Badge comes with a "plus one", so bring a friend. (Note: The plus one is a physical item and needs to be given to your friend.)

Q: (UPDATED) Is it true that donating to charities or causes gets me access to the Ninja Party? (What's that little ribbon I'm seeing people wearing around DEFCON?)
    A: Yes! Anyone at DEFCON that donates blood to the Red Cross at the BloodKode drive, or signs up for Be The Match (the Bone Marrow program), or donates to the EFF (at whatever amount/criteria the EFF ultimately decides) can elect to receive a special Ninja-fied "Giving Back" lapel pin. These pins not only show that you're giving back to the community, but also grant you access to the Ninja Party, whether you have a badge or not.

The way this will work is that we're going to give out the pins to the charities and let them decide how to distribute them.

Q: (UPDATE QUESTION) If I already donate to the EFF, Red Cross, Be The Match, etc, does that count?
    A: It's up to each charity, but really the idea is to encourage new participation. If you already participate, maybe go recruit someone new to participate. We're trying to help these guys out. There were less than 170 new signups for the Be The Match program last year, and we can do better than that.

Q: (UPDATE QUESTION) I can't donate blood or be a part of the Be The Match program, and I don't have money for the EFF or anyone else for that matter...
    A: I can't donate blood or bone marrow either. If it was me, maybe instead I'd go wave the flag a bit and perhaps bring a friend (or a stranger) to sign up for the Be The Match program. Even if you can't sign up yourself, I'm sure the charities would appreciate someone helping bring new blood (literally and figuratively) to the table.
    Last edited by barkode; 07-15-2012, 10:18 PM. Reason: Updated.

Re: The 2012 Ninja Networks Badge/Event

Originally posted by barkode View Post
    Tell me the secrets, you can trust me! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by barkode View Post
      Q: What are the technical specs of the Ninja Badge?
      A: That information will be revealed the week of the conference. :)

If you post a link to the development environment, I will download and install it ahead of time so that I can spend more time hacking the badge during DefCon.

I suppose this gives away the processor family; if you don't want to, I'll just have to figure it out!

Comment

Awesome barkode. Look forward to seeing you again and hanging out at the Ninja Party!
        Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Glad to see ya back Barkode. Looking forward to the badges and the party.
          Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

It's been awhile since you've been around, good to see you again Barkode.

Epicness could only be expected from this
            "They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet or fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."

-- Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Does it look anything like this? Just an internet rumor but supposedly this was Ninja Badge last year that was not used. (click for full size image)

If any ninjas want to warm up my machine gun and silencers Thrs morning at the defcon shoot, PM me.

Last edited by seeess; 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
                If any ninjas want to warm up my machine gun and silencers Thrs morning at the defcon shoot, PM me.
                Fully automatic bribery... That is cheating, and I completely support it!

Comment

That was the BotBadge that was designed by students at the University of Delaware. The group is called botlabs. We'll take that as a compliment if it's getting confused for a Ninja Badge!!!

I missed the con last year due to relocation, but I'm psyched for it this year. Hopefully I'll see you at the ninja party

Originally posted by seeess View Post
                  Does it look anything like this? Just an internet rumor but supposedly this was Ninja Badge last year that was not used. (click for full size image)

Last edited by c0re1287; 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by namniart View Post
                    If you post a link to the development environment, I will download and install it ahead of time so that I can spend more time hacking the badge during DefCon.

I suppose this gives away the processor family; if you don't want to, I'll just have to figure it out!
                    We'll give that out once we start handing the badges out. :) The IC family will be obvious when you see the badge..
                    The dev environment will be easier to set up in than it was in 2010, too -- so you shouldn't have to waste as much time doing that.

Comment

Will there be any interaction between the DC18 badge and the DC20 badge? Going to bring my DC18 badge out, assuming I can get my hands on a few fresh batteries. :)
                      Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
                        Will there be any interaction between the DC18 badge and the DC20 badge? Going to bring my DC18 badge out, assuming I can get my hands on a few fresh batteries. :)
                        There won't be any direct interaction by default (read: we didn't build any compatibility by default.) However, it is within technical reality that the badges would be able to interact if one was so inclined. It would be a project, though - the badges are vastly different. I don't expect to see it happening, I think there's too much fun to be had with this year's badge on its own. :)

-bk

Comment

Will any of the ninjas be bringing the stuff needed to un-b0rk my dc18 badge? It glitched out Sunday last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post
                            Will any of the ninjas be bringing the stuff needed to un-b0rk my dc18 badge? It glitched out Sunday last year.
                            Yeah, I'll have my 2010 vm and Olimex JTAG dongles.

Comment

Man oh man I wish I had a ninja badge. The first time I saw this at dc18 ask I every ninja if I could have one they said no.

I know dc19 there was no badge so I couldn't ask no one. Hopefully this year if I ask I hope some ninja with an extra badge gives me one.

Comment

Working...
                              X