Data Duplication Village

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KnightOwl, Dark Tangent

You guys always have said 6TB drives, but do the drives need to be 6TB or bigger sizes would work as well? Some duplicators allow to duplicate to a bigger disk size. It would be great to know; I just happen to have 3 x 8TB, but I rather prefer not carrying them all the way if it is a "No" from the get go. I'm sure there are others in the same situation.

Thanks!

Comment

Unfortunately, we haven't done any testing with the 6TB->8TB copies. They "should probably" work but we can't confirm that the hardware we have for duping supports the 8TB drives - let alone if the 6TB to 8TB copy works.

I recommend you stick with 6TB for this year. We'll find some cycles to run 8TB compatibility tests for DC 26.

KO
      Last edited by KnightOwl; 07-22-2017, 11:26 AM. Reason: better english

Comment

Updated details for the DC25 DATA DUPLICATION VILLAGE!

HOW IT WORKS
        DEF CON will provide a core set of drive duplicators as well as data content options. It will be a first come, first served to duplicate 'till we drop. Bring labeled 6TB SATA blank drives, and submit them in the queue for the data you want. Come back in 14-24 hours to pick up your data-packed drive. Space allowing, the last drop-offs will be no later than Saturday afternoon and the last drives will run overnight with the final pickup time at 11:30am.

WHAT YOU GET
        - 6TB drive 1-3: Updated archive of infocon.org plus other "direct from DT" content
        - 6TB drive 2-3: freerainbowtables.com GSM A51 and MD5 hash tables (#1-2)
        - 6TB drive 3-3: more rainbowtables, lanman, mysqlsha1, ntlm, and some word lists (#2-2)

WHAT YOU NEED
        * 6TB SATA3 7200rpm drives - one for each source/copy
        If you want a full copy of everything you will need three drives.
        You can bring back last year's drive(s) to be wiped/updated (you should remove any 2016 stickers).

WHEN TO BE THERE
        Data Duplication Village Hours:
        - Thursday, July 27th 16:00 - 19:00 (drop off only)
        - Friday, July 28th 10:00 - 17:00
        - Saturday, July 29th 10:00 - 17:00
        - Sunday, July 30th 10:00 - 11:00 (last chance pickup only)
        Space permitting, last drop off is Saturday at 3:00pm.
        We're working on a method to post completed ticket ranges to https://dcddv.org and @ddv_dc25
        Last chance pickup is Sunday from 10:00 to 11:00.

SIDE NOTES
        Be aware that we cleared all the Vegas area stores of every single 6TB drive last year so plan ahead and get them now!
        Duplicating a 6TB (About 5.46 usable) drive at an average of 120 Megabytes a second comes out to just under 14 hours per drive.
        With all about 16 duplicators going, we can duplicate about 95 drives concurrently.
        We're expect to push about 11GB per second out to the drives for 72 hours straight.
        We did 335 drives for DC24 and we're hoping to do even more for DC25!

Find the latest information here and at https://dcddv.org. See you next week!
        Last edited by KnightOwl; 07-22-2017, 11:11 AM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Not sure if this is a dumb question but, I rather be safe than sorry:
          I bought 3 6TB HDD just a day ago. Any specific format? Should I format the drives or just bring it in as is?

Thanks.
          M

Comment

No formatting required. We'll reimage the drives with a sector copy (vs. partition or file level copy). We'll probably experiment with fast copies for the Infocon.org disk depending on the size of special DT data on there. No matter what we do, it'll be a clean disk with just the source data on an NTFS partition when you get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightOwl View Post
              No formatting required. We'll reimage the drives with a sector copy (vs. partition or file level copy). We'll probably experiment with fast copies for the Infocon.org disk depending on the size of special DT data on there. No matter what we do, it'll be a clean disk with just the source data on an NTFS partition when you get it back.
              Thank you very much!
              M

Comment

Tweet from defcon:
                URL1=https://twitter.com/defcon/status/891370198523035649
                Originally posted by URL1
                @defcon
                The #DEFCON Duper village says no more drives being accepted. to date 18 drives fail and 16 of those were HGST DeskStar (Western Digital)
                tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

I'm happy to report that all the drives have been returned, all the numbers have been crunched, and all the TPS reports completed. Find all the DC25 details for the Data Duplication Village at https://dcddv.org

An immense amount of thanks to DT, the Goons, CVE (Zant), QM Stores, Nikita, Charel, dc408 and all the individual volunteers who reached out to help this year!

-KO

Comment

Sorry for Rezzing a 2 month old thread... but has there been any link to the rainbow table torrents yet? I was able to find some using the *hint* "wayback machine" to look at some of the now pay for access rainbow table sites and get the torrents of old, but id like to have the "Defcon25" "missing data duplication village disks" i like many others received the content drive but not the two other disks of table content... Could we get a link to a torrent for those other two disks from 2017 Defcon please? Some of us have already offered via twitter and other forum threads here to help seed...

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeThoennes View Post
                      Sorry for Rezzing a 2 month old thread... but has there been any link to the rainbow table torrents yet? ...
                      Not a problem, Blake. There are over a hundred copies of the tables out there but no-one has seeded a torrent for them that I'm aware of yet. If you're in the U.S. PM me and I'll work out how to get you a set.

-KO

Comment

Interesting request.

Let me see how much space is free on our torrent servers and if we have room I'll generate torrents. It will be slow but hopefully others will help.

To rainbow tables collection is currently about 10.5T in size, looks like I can squeek it online! I'll work on the torrents this week.
                        The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
                        PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

DT just posted some rainbow tables through infocon.org! Seed the planet!

Comment

• Dark Tangent
                            Dark Tangent commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes! I'll post a more detailed list of what files are included in the torrents, but for now go to:

https://infocon.org/ and start torrenting all the files in the rainbow tables directory.
                        Working...
                        X