Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a packing list for DEF CON 25...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you have a packing list for DEF CON 25...

    This user's tweet brings up an important question:
    https://twitter.com/guy_mcdudefella/...43326615146496

    What goes on your packing list for DEF CON? After this year, is anything being added or removed?

    What changes have you made and why?

    Thanks!
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

  • #2
    Did that guy ever share his 4-page packing list? I'm guessing that people who partake in the scavhunt or other contests/challenges would have significantly longer checklists like this.

    Additions for next year:
    • My own soldering kit. I soldered a badge (tiaracon) for the first time this year and would like to do more. Had a hell of a time finding a soldering station for troubleshooting, though.
    • String bag or something similar for holding swag + badge goodies. I swing by the swag station after picking up my badge. That's a lot of junk to be holding onto awkwardly. Luckily they had string bags for sale so I bought one to put the other swag into so I could stumble back to my room for a nap.

    Here's some of the more unconventional items from my packing list. Some things I pack with me every time I travel, others come with me only to certain events like DEF CON.
    • extra underwear + socks (because you just never know)
    • home made tiara (for the tiaracon contest)
    • burner phone + burner SIM card (obvi)
    • lockpick set + practice locks (for downtime)
    • two-way radios + chargers + ear pieces + shoulder mics (handier than phones at times and doesn't consume phone battery)
    • phone charger + extra battery pack + extension cord with extra 3 prong outlets (for emergency power needs)
    • downy/febreze spray (keeps clothes smelling nice)
    • sleep mask + breatherights + ear plugs (so I can actually sleep; vegas is noisy, bright, and dry)
    • cash including small bills (for tipping taxi drivers, housekeeping staff, bartenders, etc etc)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fiveatoms View Post
      Did that guy ever share his 4-page packing list? I'm guessing that people who partake in the scavhunt or other contests/challenges would have significantly longer checklists like this.

      Additions for next year:
      • My own soldering kit. I soldered a badge (tiaracon) for the first time this year and would like to do more. Had a hell of a time finding a soldering station for troubleshooting, though.
      • String bag or something similar for holding swag + badge goodies. I swing by the swag station after picking up my badge. That's a lot of junk to be holding onto awkwardly. Luckily they had string bags for sale so I bought one to put the other swag into so I could stumble back to my room for a nap.

      Here's some of the more unconventional items from my packing list. Some things I pack with me every time I travel, others come with me only to certain events like DEF CON.
      • extra underwear + socks (because you just never know)
      • home made tiara (for the tiaracon contest)
      • burner phone + burner SIM card (obvi)
      • lockpick set + practice locks (for downtime)
      • two-way radios + chargers + ear pieces + shoulder mics (handier than phones at times and doesn't consume phone battery)
      • phone charger + extra battery pack + extension cord with extra 3 prong outlets (for emergency power needs)
      • downy/febreze spray (keeps clothes smelling nice)
      • sleep mask + breatherights + ear plugs (so I can actually sleep; vegas is noisy, bright, and dry)
      • cash including small bills (for tipping taxi drivers, housekeeping staff, bartenders, etc etc)
      Any recommendations for radios?

      Comment


      • #4
        Lots and lots of extra water, beer, and Gatorade. Quantities change as the years progress.

        Comment


        • #5
          Decide what you want to bring, then cut it in half, but double the cash.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Conspiracy View Post

            Any recommendations for radios?
            First question when asking about radios is whether or not you have a Ham license because that really opens up options without getting into trouble. Otherwise be sure to be careful when going off of recommendations due to regulations.

            Also I highly recommend looking into getting a ham license with how simple the process is. You can easily find material for free on it to learn all about it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Conspiracy View Post

              Any recommendations for radios?
              If you carry an amateur radio license, any of the Baofeng radios are a good choice. The UV-5R is cheap, powerful enough, and has accessories. If you lose/break it, it's only $28 -- chump change in Vegas.

              Many of us will be hanging around on the 2M simplex freq for HAMCon.

              Lazy link: https://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=baofeng

              -darkwind
              Last edited by darkwind; 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM. Reason: price correction

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by darkwind View Post
                Many of us will be hanging around on the 2M simplex freq for HAMCon.
                Is there a special 2M simplex frequency you're referring to, or do you mean the standard calling frequency 146.52? I'm planning on bringing a Baofeng dual-band handheld as well as a DMR (UHF) handheld as well. Are there any local repeaters that Defcon attendees like to hang out on or monitor?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by darkwind View Post

                  If you carry an amateur radio license, any of the Baofeng radios are a good choice. The UV-5R is cheap, powerful enough, and has accessories. If you lose/break it, it's only $28 -- chump change in Vegas.

                  Many of us will be hanging around on the 2M simplex freq for HAMCon.

                  Lazy link: https://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=baofeng

                  -darkwind
                  I have a couple of the Baofengs. They are nice.

                  I used to pack lots of things and then I got to where I tried to pack light and do everything on tablet.This year, I am trying to find a happy medium since I bought my first laptop in years (something MSI, has a NVIDIA from hell on it) and I sort of have the itch to tinker out there. So far my manifest:

                  1. Baofeng High-power dual-band with some form of aftermarket antenna (I forget which), and charger/external mic.
                  2. HackRF with the ANT500 and another 1-6gh antenna that is pretty sweet.
                  3. USB Cables, external DVD-drive, multimedia reader, programmer cable for the radio (get one if you are ordering that radio) and various antenna dongles for connecting random antennas.
                  4. Aforementioned Laptop from Hell - loaded with everything that keeps me happy plus fun tools (I've been slowly writing an autonomous hacker-in-a-box in BASH for a couple years..)
                  5. Nintendo Switch - I try to sleep on the plane but when I can't...
                  6. Phone (this actually takes the place of my tablet now)
                  7. Clothes, bathroom stuff - This is a line item to remind the people who don't do this. Please do this. I can't smell things but the other 21,000 of you can.
                  8. Cash. Because cash is king at the con.
                  9. Maxpedition duffle and maxpedition slingbag.

                  I toyed with the idea of just bringing a Zotac "ZBOX" and a very small display and wireless keyboard but the laptop offers a ton of flexibility with the virtual instances. The trick is to keep it all in one duffle for travel and then I can use my slingbag for on-site or whatever. The laptop, for all of its thinness, is not small and the power brick is basically a small substation.

                  I spent a lot of this evening prepping stuff because I am carrying-on. This means no lockpicks for me, no grapple-hook (the chinese ultimate grapple is handy), multi-tool carabiner, 50ft of paracord or other heavy/handy/pokey/TSA treasures)

                  If this is your first con, the best thing you can bring (if you want to meet people!) is cables, connectors, interfaces. I'll be shocked if someone doesn't need a programmer cable for the baofeng before the end of the con because it never fails.

                  Not sure if I will partake in the radio chatter but I'll probably have a ear to whatever freqs pop up.

                  J

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DotNM View Post

                    Is there a special 2M simplex frequency you're referring to, or do you mean the standard calling frequency 146.52? I'm planning on bringing a Baofeng dual-band handheld as well as a DMR (UHF) handheld as well. Are there any local repeaters that Defcon attendees like to hang out on or monitor?
                    Try these sites for radio freqs.

                    http://conham.org

                    https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradi...ets_ham_radio/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      comfortable shoes
                      Last edited by Mitchell Effect; 10-01-2017, 10:14 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X