Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DC17 Badge Pre-Release Information

Joe will judge us all...

Either that or he will throw entries on the floor, and Mini-Grand will decide :)

LosT

Comment

So, the win will go to the best-tasting badge, that makes noise when shaken?
      It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
        So, the win will go to the best-tasting badge, that makes noise when shaken?
        Thats about right from what I remember. My dog serves as a suitable sub. Everything goes to the mouth and then tossed in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by charliex View Post
          ups had it out for delivery for 3 days, finally got here though with our current weather iw as expecting melted cd's. Picked it up from freescale directly.

Cool , mine will be here tomorrow, can't wait to get started.

Comment

Two more items I have discovered.

One, The instructions about the static-bootloader are posted on the main product page under "Application Notes" There is a PDF that describes step by step how to compile and then load a program over the serial port.

Second, the iPhone serial port is 3.3V. Clip below:
            From: http://geek.michaelgrace.org/2009/07...defcon-virgin/
            <clip>
            The “Hack the Badge” contest is a very fun event lasting the whole conference. If it’s anything like last year, the Hardware Hacking Village will be packed all weekend long with tinkerers trying to make their badge do cool and unexpected things. Kingpin has released very limited info about this year’s badge (to make the contest more exciting), but one thing he has revealed is that it will use a simple 3-wire serial interface. On the conference forums, he’s recommended that you bring your own level converter to make the serial voltages compatible with your laptop. But if you connect your badge to your iPhone’s serial interface, you won’t need a level converter. It’s already at the correct voltage.

Comment

oh

hell

yeah.

it's ON!

I already got one key piece of intel out of Joe this morning that I'll share for the greater good:

"I'm not at liberty to speak about that until defcon" -Kingpin

Comment

Joe, when are you going to put down some 2.4ghz magic and claim the prize for worlds most malicious mesh network?

Comment

Is there any requirement as to the license of the entries? Does code in entries need to be open-source to be eligible for the contest? Or merely be available for judging?

Also to the person who mentioned uC/OS-II that's available, here's what I found on the vendor's website:
                  "You can evaluate the µC/OS-II source code for FREE for 45 days, but a license is required when µC/OS-II is used commercially. The policy is as follows: The policy is as follows:

µC/OS-II source and object code can be used by accredited Colleges and Universities without requiring a license, as long as there is no commercial application involved. In other words, no licensing is required if µC/OS-II is used for educational use.

You need to obtain an 'Executable Distribution License' to embed µC/OS-II in a product that is sold with the intent to make a profit or if the product is not used for education or 'peaceful' research."

So I guess as long as your entry qualifies as "peaceful research" and you don't intend to commercialize it as a product, you should be fine with the evaluation download without a license. If you build a cell phone jammer or stun-gun, well, then all bets are off
                  Last edited by tweakt; 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by tweakt View Post
                    Is there any requirement as to the license of the entries? Does code in entries need to be open-source to be eligible for the contest? Or merely be available for judging?
                    You can submit a closed-source entry, but it will hold less weight than an entry that is completely open source and willing to be shared with the public.

Joe

Comment

FYI, Wired just released a sneak peak of the badge before release:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/defcon-badge/
                      It is statistically likely that I'm following you on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by L34h View Post
                        FYI, Wired just released a sneak peak of the badge before release:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/defcon-badge/
                        And source code? Wonder if its a trap!!

Comment

looks good. i'm pretty happy to see one particular element on the badge, saves me having to add it.
                          - Null Space Labs

Comment

w00t! Putting together a shopping list for Frys/RadioShack or whatever I can find in Vegas. :-D

Comment

http://www.kiesub.com/prostores/servlet/StoreFront is closeish to the riveria too, it's got different stuff from Frys and RS.

Mostly tools, no IC's or cheap stuff that i recall, but connectors/switches/led's/wires.
                              - Null Space Labs

Comment

edited by me sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X