Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEF CON 17 Audio and Video now available!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEF CON 17 Audio and Video now available!

As a early happy new year I am pleased to announce that the audio, video, and slides from DEF CON 17 are now available for mass leeching:

Check out the web site archives, https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc...7-archive.html

Or pick up the RSS feeds:

DEF CON 17 audio only, in .m4b audio book format RSS https://www.defcon.org/podcast/defcon-17-audio.rss
    DEF CON 17 slides and audio only, in .m4v h.264 video format RSS https://www.defcon.org/podcast/defcon-17-slides.rss
    DEF CON 17 video and screen slides, in .m4v h.264 format RSS https://www.defcon.org/podcast/defcon-17-video.rss

Also they have been loaded into iTunes.

Also they files are being added to the DEF CON p2p server so they should start to show up on the ed2k network.
    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
    PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Re: DEF CON 17 Audio and Video now available!

ugh. i am just striking out hardcore on attempts to get any of these videos. the RSS feed appears to link back to the media web page. that page has HTTPS links to m4v videos, but all downloads seem to either fail or break in the middle. most talks i try to grab are only around 60 to 70 MB, which seems small. then, none of the files play which makes me assume they are not all there. strangely, the downloads do not display a status of completion (how many megs remain, etc)

i have no apple products, accounts, etc so unfortunately iTunes is out for me

i'm poking around the eMule network... i wasn't aware of anyone who still used that as opposed to Torrents. finding the ed2k files for DEFCON hasn't been successful thus far.

heh... i'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but this is getting me down something fierce at the moment. my brain keeps telling me "there's no reason this should be so difficult" and then i reflect on the fact that i'm doing all this work just to try to grab files in an Apple format and i become even more despondent.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      but all downloads seem to either fail or break in the middle.
      I have noticed this too, I figure its due to the amount of traffic thats being pumped out/ https://twitter.com/thedarktangent/status/5751791329

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      strangely, the downloads do not display a status of completion (how many megs remain, etc)
      I have been using wget to download all the videos into a local raided repository. Progress bar and ETC works fine.
      DC949 #dc-949

Comment

Originally posted by CP99 View Post
        I have noticed this too, I figure its due to the amount of traffic thats being pumped out/ https://twitter.com/thedarktangent/status/5751791329

I have been using wget to download all the videos into a local raided repository. Progress bar and ETC works fine.
        Good to know these things. It seems like the files are getting completed (Watching the server logs) so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. Any info you guys have might help.

Also let me know what you find on the Gnutella 1 / 2 / eDonky2k networks. Searching for DEFCON 17 should get you results.

Comment

CP99, that is terrific. We'll start on fixing 'em.

Comment

DT, can you post or PM me a changelog of the new URLs so we (I) don't have to dig through the RSS feeds to get them again?
            DC949 #dc-949

Comment

Originally posted by CP99 View Post
              DT, can you post or PM me a changelog of the new URLs so we (I) don't have to dig through the RSS feeds to get them again?
              NOTE: All older .mp4 video files have been renamed to .m4v to better reflect what they really are.

I think if you click on the busted links you posted, they should work now, just as .m4v.

We're in the middle of getting all the past content re-linked and fixed, so soon Neil will be posting specific archive pages per con with all working links for all the content we can find. Woot!

Comment

Are .m4v video files being recoded to .rm files which cannot be downloaded? I am finding many older video files cannot be downloaded because they are in rm format and can only be viewed.
                “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.”

Comment

Originally posted by number006 View Post
                  Are .m4v video files being recoded to .rm files which cannot be downloaded? I am finding many older video files cannot be downloaded because they are in rm format and can only be viewed.
                  No, RM is being converted to m4v or m4b. The files you find in .rm have not been converted yet or the change hasn't been posted yet. Were working on it.
                  "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I just downloaded a video from Defcon 17, and it is good to see them online. One suggestion for next year:

Could you de-interlace them before encoding them?

It will look better where motion is concerned on playback, and it will probably compress better. Thanks!
                    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                      I just downloaded a video from Defcon 17, and it is good to see them online. One suggestion for next year:

Could you de-interlace them before encoding them?

It will look better where motion is concerned on playback, and it will probably compress better. Thanks!
                      That will be a good experiment. I'll make sure to try it.

Comment

The large files tend to give me "server error" messages inside the "DownThemAll!" Firefox extension. For example, https://media.defcon.org/dc-17/video...-%20Slides.m4v will not download (there is a 12 second (or so) timeout period in DownThemAll!). Smaller files (such as PDFs) seem to work. Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Comment

If that extension tries to connect for a download with a new session for each one, and runs each download at the same time, you probably are tripping one of the rules in the firewall. Either serialize your requests to request download and download one at a time, or experiment to find out how many connections are "too many connections."

(This was a problem before with users of various http proxies, which created a new session for each image, or included item from a web page. Normal web browsing, and browsing with modern proxies didn't seem to trigger the same response.)

DT would have more info on this, if this is the cause.
                          tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

TheCotMan: I had already set the extension to run one download at a time.

Comment

Working...
                            X