Making friends....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making friends....

This is going to be my first Defcon... and I will pretty much be by myself... I was just wondering how easy it is to make friends there and everything... or will i be wondering around aimlessly by myself the whole time? ;) btw, this has probably already been discussed had i done a little more research, but what all should / can i bring as far as computer stuff? i plan on bringing my wardriving setup, but should/could i bring more stuff?

Originally posted by atari007
    This is going to be my first Defcon... and I will pretty much be by myself... I was just wondering how easy it is to make friends there and everything... or will i be wondering around aimlessly by myself the whole time? ;) btw, this has probably already been discussed had i done a little more research, but what all should / can i bring as far as computer stuff? i plan on bringing my wardriving setup, but should/could i bring more stuff?

Please see HighWizard's post to the forums http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=3461

Edit: Also, make sure you read the entire thing it will give you all the answers to any questions you may have.
    "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Friends are a good thing.... I wandered around a bit by myself last year, but ended up hanging with a pretty cool guy for scavenger hunt. I will be running around simplex again this year.

Comment

It's easy to make friends, just be sure not to use big words above your league to try and appear l33t, you may end up taking to some seriously l33t folks and they won't be impressed, and then they won't be your friend either. Just be yourself, and keep your eyes and ears open.

Comment

Originally posted by atari007
          Yes, bring beer. Give me beer, and I will be your friend. :D
          Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by che
            Also, if you want to make a lot of friends in no time at all, be sure to sleep al fresco on one of the deck chairs next to pool #1. Your popularity will be through the roof, I assure you.

Comment

Its easy to make friends... I'd look into a DC group in your area.
              You honestly don't have any friends where you are that might want to go to defcon? or even vegas?
              The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Originally posted by che
                That's what Che did last year. He brought mead as well. Che has so many friends now he can count them on his hands AND his toes. :D

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
                  Its easy to make friends... I'd look into a DC group in your area.
                  You honestly don't have any friends where you are that might want to go to defcon? or even vegas?
                  good plan...not that i know you from anyware...;)

I met alot of great people thru dc707, good place to meet people you know will be going to defcon, due to their belief defcon is more of a holy pilgramiage then just a con.

Another good idea is just to hang out on the forum, and come to the meet we have at defcon.
                  ~:CK:~
                  I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

if i hadnt braught a friend the first year i would have been totaly lost. i suggest meeting someone in advance.

the idea of meeting people through DC groups is great.
                    my second trip was after i had met my posse (irvineUnderground) and it made ALL the difference.
                    i could still enjoy wondering around aimlessly (when i had the time) knowing i could go chill with my friends any time i wanted.
                    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request here.

Comment

at defcon 10, some script kiddie types randomly invited me to party in their room and I proceeded to drink a good deal of their beer while a bunch of them made fools of themselves.

On their website a few months later I found a photo of me that said "Good lord this fool can drink, he drank all our booze!". Geez, it's not like consumed Goon quatities of beer.

I'm still laughing at that one.
                      "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You could try to be over-the-top outgoing. One of the guys that stayed with me last year wanted to be introduced to this girl in the hot tub at the convention who was obviously not there for the convention. I told him I'll be his wingman and be the obnoxious drunk guy and hit on her and he could be the "Sorry about my friend" type. So I wander over with a very large Gin and Juice, sit on the edge of the hot tub and said "Hi. I'm neural. How many defcons have you guys been to", addressing everyone in the hot tub. Then I asked for names/handles and such around the circle of people sitting in the hot tub and proceeded to pass my large gin and juice around the circle and towards the end Phil (the guy who wanted the intro) comes by and I said "This is my friend Phil. Everyone say hi to Phil"

Anyway he sits next to me and finally I get to the girl who he wanted the intro to, and she was this short 5'3" blonde petite girl and I say "my, you're cute. What's your name" and she proceeds to tell me and I asked her what she did and she was going to school to be a nurse and I said something stupid like "I bet all the guys want to play doctor with you, huh?" and by then Phil had ahold of my Gin and juice and says stop it and hands it to me. I tell the girl I'm sorry. I've been drinking. She just smiled and I say something like "oh, did I tell you this is my friend phil? I forgot" and she said I had, and I look at my gin and juice which was almost empty and state that I need a refill and stand up and take off leaving phil there.

Apparently it turns out she was there with friends who were attending the convention but she was there for the whole gambling vegas part. Despite the fact that she was single, Phil didn't get the girl. (Loser). Her friends, who were also in the hot tub, got up and she left with them as I was coming back. I said said "good bye nurse lady" somewhat loud enough sat next to phil and told him he was a loser. :D

But I did meet quite a few people whose names I'll never remember. :)
                        "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
                        - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

One guy was telling me about these two hot chicks in the pool and he showed me a video he shot of them. They were my wife and daughter. I let him live.

Secret to free beer: find someone not as leet as you are. Hell, maybe you can barely install AOL but you are still better than someone. That someone would buy you beers all night long just to say they got to hang out with the leet folks. :>

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                            One guy was telling me about these two hot chicks in the pool and he showed me a video he shot of them. They were my wife and daughter. I let him live.

Secret to free beer: find someone not as leet as you are. Hell, maybe you can barely install AOL but you are still better than someone. That someone would buy you beers all night long just to say they got to hang out with the leet folks. :>

In my experience, if you want to make a lot of friends, go hang out by the door to the NOC and keep asking for Priest. Then, when he comes out, follow him around telling him how cool you think he is and how you are going to buy a Hawaiian shirt just like his as soon as you get home.

It's a win win situation. People will see you hanging out with Priest and think you are the bizzomb and at the same time Priest will love having someone to talk to because if there's on thing everyone that's been to DefCon before knows it's that Priest loves hanging out with first time Con-goers.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                              In my experience, if you want to make a lot of friends, go hang out by the door to the NOC and keep asking for Priest. Then, when he comes out, follow him around telling him how cool you think he is and how you are going to buy a Hawaiian shirt just like his as soon as you get home.

It's a win win situation. People will see you hanging out with Priest and think you are the bizzomb and at the same time Priest will love having someone to talk to because if there's on thing everyone that's been to DefCon before knows it's that Priest loves hanging out with first time Con-goers.

If you can't find Priest, then go find Chris, he is usually in the vendor area or at a blackjack table. He loves first time Con-Attendees. Make sure to ask for a picture with him atleast once an hour, since he loves getting pictures taken with people.

In the event that all this fails, Find me (HighWizard) and buy me a beer. I'll be you're friend for as long as I still have that beer. If you buy my multiple beers I may share them with my friends and then you will have more friends too!

Comment

Working...
                              X