Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas Red Cross offers tips for the heat

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...518842856.html

To help individuals and families prepare for a warm summer, the American Red Cross of Southern Nevada Chapter offers these safety tips:

Dress for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun's energy. Wear hats or use an umbrella.

Drink water. Carry water or juice with you and drink continuously even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which dehydrate the body.

Eat small meals and eat more often. Avoid foods that are high in protein which increase metabolic heat.

Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.

Slow down. Avoid strenuous activity. If you must do strenuous activity, do it during the coolest part of the day (between 4-7 a.m.).

Stay indoors when possible.

Take regular breaks when engaged in physical activity on warm days. Take time out to find a cool place.
    Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Originally posted by erehwon
    Dress for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun's energy. Wear hats or use an umbrella.

Drink water. Carry water or juice with you and drink continuously even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which dehydrate the body.
    Wear light-colored clothing? Avoid Alcohol and caffeine? At defcon?

..hahahaha.... Thats a good one.
    The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
      Wear light-colored clothing? Avoid Alcohol and caffeine? At defcon?

..hahahaha.... Thats a good one.
      Why do you think the AP/AV is sold out so fast? Less walking, and more drinking/caffeine.
      tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon
        Drink water. Carry water or juice with you and drink continuously even if you do not feel thirsty.
        This point can not be stressed enough. Even if you don't drink, you will still get a "hangover" from dehydration. 10% Humitity + 110F = Quick Loss Of Fluids with NO SWEATING. Take it from a local, DRINK LOT OF FLUIDS EVEN AT NIGHT.
        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
          Even if you don't drink, you will still get a "hangover" from dehydration.
          I don't live in Las Vegas, but I do live in a similar environment. Just to give you an idea of how much to drink, most of the people around here drink at least one gallon per day when it is hot and they spend any amount of time outside. I drink closer to six gallons, but that is probably overkill even for my active lifestyle.

Personally, I don't notice much of a difference in clothing color at that temperature, but you will be much happier if you can find something that "breathes".

Comment

Goon Survival Tips

As many of you know, I'm in charge of physical security for Defcon. Due to what we do, our team is very mobile at all times. I enjoy the open air nature of the AP and I think it makes for a really cool environment, but from a security perspective we have a lot of ground to cover and sometimes have to cover it in a hurry. So, heres some of the things we do to beat the heat

1. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate. Now, don't go give yourself water intoxication but stay up on your water. Keep water with you when you're out and about. Dont want to pay the AP for a small bottle of water? Get a large bottle at the liquor store and keep filling it up from the tap. Nalgene type bottles are good because you can hang them off a beltloop or belt. Camelbak hydration units are cool too and they come in all shapes and sizes. If you are drinking remember that booze dehydrates you and you need to up the water intake. I personally take a pint of water for every 2 pints of beer I drink. Also, remember to stay up on your electrolytes. Its not just water your body is losing. Keeping the electrolyte and salt balance in your body is essential. Drink gatorade, pedialyte, whatever. Heck in a pinch you can make your own (5 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 quart of water). If you arent peeing regularly, you arent drinking enough water. In a hot environment like that you should be having to hit the head at least once an hour if you are spending time out in the sun. If you spend your days in your room or in the conference (*gasp*) where you stay constantly cool, its not an issue.

2. Sunscreen. SPF as high as you can, pay the extra money for the nice waterproof stuff. Even if you dont plan on going in the pool (I sure as fuck wouldnt) you will sweat it off if its not waterproof.

3. Like the Red Cross says, limit your movement in the heat

4. Wear a hat

5. If you start to feel weak, dizzy, nauseous, or you feel cold and clammy in the heat, you may be starting to suffer from heat exhaustion. If you're drinking, stop immediately. Get some place cool and start taking water in slowly. If you go pound water when you're in that state you will almost surely throw up. Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke can kill you, so when in doubt seek medical help. Dont know what to do? Grab one of us. If you end up feeling better after a while, great, you caught it early. Now dont go back to drinking boozahol, you're on the bench for a while till your body balances out.

Typically during the day I lay off the booze and stick to water. I snack throughout the day rather than having regular sized meals. Thanks to the miracle of radio communication we dont have to move about as much. When the sun goes down I get myself a full sized meal and allow myself beer (My team is on at night, so the beer intake is minimal anyways), but still stay up on the water. Remember, the sun doesnt have to be out to get dehydrated. 10pm in Vegas is still in the high 90s.

Use common sense, keep an eye on your buddies as well. One of the first signs of heat exhaustion is mental confusion, so if you are suffering from it, you may not notice that you're acting loopy(ier).

At the end of the weekend my team is beat to shit. But I can proudly say that none of them have ever suffered heat exhaustion or heat stroke.
            Last edited by noid; 06-02-2005, 01:18 PM. Reason: added peeing thing

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

well, after having spoken with Kaddydid here is her advice on it:

Drink half of you body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water each day. As well as a minimum of just as much water to booze/caffine. That is enough water to not only keep you hydrated but allow your blood to clean out your system properly.

So it looks like I'll be sticking to scotch and water this year... 2 birds and all
              If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                well, after having spoken with Kaddydid here is her advice on it:

Drink half of you body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water each day. As well as a minimum of just as much water to booze/caffine. That is enough water to not only keep you hydrated but allow your blood to clean out your system properly.

So it looks like I'll be sticking to scotch and water this year... 2 birds and all
                That sounds about right. Your average weight person should drink half a gallon a day, which is 64oz and close to the average 135lb weight of most men (not in this community though, we seem to come in two sizes, small and 2xl). I do close to 2 gallons a day at Defcon, spread out.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                  That sounds about right. Your average weight person should drink half a gallon a day, which is 64oz and close to the average 135lb weight of most men (not in this community though, we seem to come in two sizes, small and 2xl). I do close to 2 gallons a day at Defcon, spread out.
                  As Preist told us before duty last year: Piss often. if it is yellow, start drinking. When it is clear, drink some more.
                  Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Dont know what to do? Grab one of us.
                    Best advice evar. Seriously though, I've seen way too many people collapse at the con when someone should have gotten hold of a Goon or asked someone else for assistance.
                    Aut disce aut discede

Comment

If you are drinking remember that booze dehydrates you and you need to up the water intake. I personally take a pint of water for every 2 pints of beer I drink. Also, remember to stay up on your electrolytes. Its not just water your body is losing. Keeping the electrolyte and salt balance in your body is essential.
                      one solution to this can be to mix cocktails with Gatorade. now, knowing most DefCon people as i do this can be difficult when we tend to do things in a ratio that is more booze than mixer, but i've often found that choosing hydrating mixers helps.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
                        I've seen way too many people collapse at the con when someone should have gotten hold of a Goon or asked someone else for assistance.
                        Every attendee should be subject to Priest's speech about the overdose that occurred at DC9. The short version: the goons are only there to help if you are in serious trouble. The redshirts are there to keep events from escalating and at some point that means keeping you alive rather than busting you. If you've reached a state of panic, it's probably not a good time to start coming up with lies to cover your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                          ... the goons are only there to help if you are in serious trouble. The redshirts are there to keep events from escalating and at some point that means keeping you alive rather than busting you. If you've reached a state of panic, it's probably not a good time to start coming up with lies to cover your ass.
                          what was that kids name last year at PoolCon, ToothPaste?

he is the poster child for this sort of shit
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                            what was that kids name last year at PoolCon, ToothPaste?

he is the poster child for this sort of shit
                            Yeah, that was me, unfortunately.

Instead of hiding in the shadows about it, I'd rather admit to fucking up, deal, and move on as best as possible.

And yes, It's a bitch of a mistake to learn from. Listening to everyone yelling "chug" is not a smart idea. :-(

It's not only knowing your limits that's the key. Knowing your limits, while you're drinking, is more important. We all know where Mr What Is A Good Idea/Bad Idea goes when inebriated... just ask pool2girl....Not that I should be talking...
                            :wq

Comment

Originally posted by Toothpaste
                              Yeah, that was me, unfortunately.

Instead of hiding in the shadows about it, I'd rather admit to fucking up, deal, and move on as best as possible.
                              That is admirable... just because you were grown up about it I will forgive you the sprained wrist and the new scar that i suffered on your behalf (pushing people into the pool should come at just the right time and direction.... when that person is trying to talk to a security guard and explain what poolcon is, is not the right time. And pulling someone standing by the ankles while you are in the pool is never the right direction)

you owe me a beer and 10 Hail PoolCon's and you are forgiven

Comment

Working...
                              X