Do you have a "Best DefCon Experience, Ever?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a "Best DefCon Experience, Ever?"

We have over a decade of DefCon, and plenty of great stories over the years. If you had to limit it to just one event. for all DefCon (1-12) what was your favorite DefCon Experience? It could be a presentation, social event, unofficial or official event, pre-con or post-con activity, anything at DefCon.

(Maybe this will give some ideas to people who have never attended.)
    1, 2 or 3
    4.55%
    0.00%
    4.55%
    4.55%
    4.55%
    15.91%
    4.55%
    15.91%
    22.73%
    22.73%

The poll is expired.

tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Well, It's been documented that I've had one of the *worst* experiences, but as for the best...

I've been going since DC7 and there are way to many things to mention or pick as the best.

The best moment in recent memory was the DC12 quarks party at the star trek experience and the ride breaking down with 10-12 hackers on board with the staff staying in charachter no matter how drunk/silly we were. I mean, who can forget Siviak and Sphakle and the torpedo?
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Scaramental Wine Taster for the Church Of WiFi
    Buy our books!
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" – Adam Savage
    CoWF WPA Hash Tables
    My Pants Are Haunted! My Pants Are Haunted!

Comment

I would have to say my favorite so far has been DC3. The event was much smaller and thus the responsibilities of the staff were fewer. I like the hotel, although I can never get the 'Careful island guests, you are approaching the end of the walkway' out of my head. It was also my first Defcon being of legal drinking age. That said, I was also really happy with DC12. I enjoyed the mellow atmosphere last year.

Least favorite Defcon's would have to be DC8 and DC9, during the 'dot com boom'.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

As a relative newbie to DC, my favorite, and 1st one, was DC 10. I thoroughly enjoyed getting on-stage with Hacker Jeopardy, amassing a huge lead on points, then blowing the whole thing by answering the question wrong on the Daily Double, the only question our team missed the entire time. Even better was that the entire audience was stumped, even V1ru5, and it was on his favorite topic.

Ah the memories...
        Aut disce aut discede

Comment

I don't think there is any one Defcon Experience that trumps the best thing at Defcon, and that's meeting some people that have become very good and close friends of mine.

Comment

I would say DC8. It was my first DefCon. I guess being green and going to lots of talks that were over my head really showed me I had some work to do. Like most things, you really enjoy stuff better when your not aware of the wizzard behind the green curtain. I still really enjoy attending, but now for different reasons. Meeting up with old friends, doing crazy contests, getting more out of talks then before just to name a few.
            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

DC8 was my first. Had a blast, never knew anything like that existed.

DC9 was really rowdy, but I did manage to get myself in the L.A. Times for my DC input.

DC10 and 11 had tiny vendor areas and that was no fun. They were not as insane as 9 was, and hacker jeopardy was the best at 11. Really hard to get into the talks too.

DC 12 had no HJ but had an awesome vendor forum, more room for talks, and I finally learned it was worth it to stay over on Monday.

If I could change anything I'd replace the AP security guards with more reasonable people. Maybe some SS officers.

Comment

I would say DC12 was the best year for me.. First year as a Goon, meeting even more folks, and becoming closer to the folks I already knew. The forum party is usually my favorite part..
                I somehow missed all the chaos of DC 9.. I guess I was too busy seeing the town. I remember some douchebag anarchists trying to mess things up.. but what all was the deal?
                Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
                  The best moment in recent memory was the DC12 quarks party at the star trek experience and the ride breaking down with 10-12 hackers on board with the staff staying in charachter no matter how drunk/silly we were.
                  Yeah, that was a lot of fun, almost like a BSOD showing up on the screen.
                  Originally posted by highwizard
                  I don't think there is any one Defcon Experience that trumps the best thing at Defcon, and that's meeting some people that have become very good and close friends of mine.
                  Well said.
                  Originally posted by astcell
                  If I could change anything I'd replace the AP security guards with more reasonable people. Maybe some SS officers.
                  Or at least give them jackboots so the noobs have a clue coming in...

Al
                  "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

The best moment in recent memory was the DC12 quarks party at the star trek experience and the ride breaking down with 10-12 hackers on board with the staff staying in charachter no matter how drunk/silly we were.
                    While "technically" not during the Con, Quarks was one my best experiences in Vegas.
                    I mean, who can forget Siviak and Sphakle and the torpedo?
                    It's amazing what people can do with photoshop ;)
                    Originally posted by che
                    I would say DC12 was the best year for me.. First year as a Goon, meeting even more folks, and becoming closer to the folks I already knew.
                    Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't try.
                    “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by alklloyd
                      Or at least give them jackboots so the noobs have a clue coming in...
                      What about my guys? I want jackboots. I think we'd look pretty sharp in them.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                        I'd assumed everybody had them already (well, at least mental jackboots)
                        “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                          But would they work well in pool 1a?

Al
                          "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Jackboots with the Defcon logo on the sides. I so want a pair.

Comment

Well I've been attending since DC9, almost made DC8

DC 9 - Was alot of fun, Black & White Ball seemed better than its been in recent years. Attended Moloch.org's party one night, met Dave, Abby & Tommy. Discovered Fat Burger.

DC10 - Nothing in particular sticks out. First time seeing "The Wall of Sheep"
                              Attended more lectures than any year..

DC11 - The group I was with was the best of all the Defcons so far. There was the DC Cup, I attended Hektiks party one night. Met some interesting folks at the lockpick contest, Ahh.. and Mark and Andys "Sign the Bible Party".. Also was the first year I attended Hacker Jeopardy.

DC 12 - The Toxic BBQ was great. First year I participated in War Drive and our group in the Scavenger Hunt.

So far every year I've done something new and met someone new.
                              Waiting to see what this year will bring.

Comment

Working...
                              X