CTF 2006 Qualifyting Round Complete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTF 2006 Qualifyting Round Complete

This year's qualifying round for CTF is complete, and I've finally gotten some sleep (*whew*). Congrats go out to all the teams, and a special w00t goes out to the qualifying ones. The results may be found at www.kenshoto.com.

We'll be making the challenges available for folks to play with and probably keeping the quals MUD alive for quite some time (similar to last year).

I'll also do my best to check in on these forums if folks want to use this to discuss the challenges and/or colaborte on attempting to break them.

werd.

Pointless Bitching.

Since quals are over, there is no point in crying over spilt milk, I have a small request for next years. Could the notification email be sent out 1 week in advance? So if the quals start on the 10th, there would be a heads up, so we can clear our schedules.
    Thanks,
    Kai

Originally posted by invisigoth
    This year's qualifying round for CTF is complete, and I've finally gotten some sleep (*whew*). Congrats go out to all the teams, and a special w00t goes out to the qualifying ones. The results may be found at www.kenshoto.com.

We'll be making the challenges available for folks to play with and probably keeping the quals MUD alive for quite some time (similar to last year).

I'll also do my best to check in on these forums if folks want to use this to discuss the challenges and/or colaborte on attempting to break them.

werd.

Comment

Favorite team name..

I must say team names 'fednaught' and 'our wifes are pissed' made me laugh out loud.
      The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
      PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

Originally posted by k@i

Since quals are over, there is no point in crying over spilt milk, I have a small request for next years. Could the notification email be sent out 1 week in advance? So if the quals start on the 10th, there would be a heads up, so we can clear our schedules.
        Thanks,
        Kai
        The CTF announcement that came out in mid-May (http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=7321) clearly stated the exact time and dates for the qualification round. Were you hoping for somethiing more detailed than that?

-SM

Comment

I know its pretty early on still, but will kenshoto be releasing details about the qualifying rounds/challenges similar to previous years? I know these are always a fun read.
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Yes. we will be releasing the challenges and question text for all the levels this year as in previous years. It'll probably be a couple days before we get it all together for humon consumption. Additionally, the MUD that we ran for quals (at www.kenshoto.com on port 7878) will probably stay up so folks can colaborate/discuss/flame/praise and most importantly continue solving the challenges....

Comment

Thanks, Kenshoto. Totally cool contest... Incredibly grueling with some mind-bending challenges, but that's what CtF is all about, right?

I liked the novelty of the J! format. The only thing I was thinking was that since you essentially could not get off a problem without solving it or else risk losing the points, this severely limited how you could proceed on the board. Some people could have unscrupulously taken advantage of this by having a number of small throwaway teams divide & conquer the board, then feed the answers up to their "real" team. In addition, there was the possibility of a highly placed team that wanted their friends to get in to DC CtF to give away answers to lower teams.

I was trying to think how cheating might have been possible in a regular attack/defense type scenario. I guess this could be done if you're sufficiently far ahead, and share exploits with friends on lower place teams, or else purposely allow them to get into a service on your box to get flags, etc. So, I guess the "usual" format would probably not be immune from uscrupulous behavior either.

In all, the CtF qual was immensely fun and edcuational. Thanks again!

TripleH

Comment

Re: CTF 2006 Qualifyting Round Complete

^ I know you.

Comment

Working...
                X