idea for DC15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idea for DC15

i saw this while browsing the web tonight and thought it would be awesome to give these little buisness cards out in lockpick village or even at sign in next year.

lockpick buisness cards (would be a great way to get people interested in lock picking) and i might add after the bump key fiasco it needs it.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/09/18/lo...business-card/

just an idea

(edit: yes i did notice once i posted this that it is in the wrong forum yet i couldnt move)

Re: idea for DC15

Originally posted by caffeine20
    (edit: yes i did notice once i posted this that it is in the wrong forum yet i couldnt move)
    How is this?
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

I think this a great idea. I actually thought about taking one of the lock picking classes this year but never did and feel that was my loss.

If you gave or sold these you would a larger space for the Lockpck Village. Most of the times I went up there to see the guys I knew it was so packed you could hardly get in and find room to breath. Maybe get them a double skybox next year?
      DaKahuna

Comment

Those picks are a really cool eye-catcher, no doubt. But they're not the most stellar picks out there, and once someone punches them out to use them, they just throw away your "business card".

As for taking a class in lock picking, make sure you take the time at DC15 if you didn't get a chance this year. We're already planning some really cool presentations and demos for next year. I just hope that the space is there to accommodate everything we wanna do. We could have used twice as much for the Village this year.

db

Comment

Originally posted by digital_blue
          Those picks are a really cool eye-catcher, no doubt. But they're not the most stellar picks out there, and once someone punches them out to use them, they just throw away your "business card".

As for taking a class in lock picking, make sure you take the time at DC15 if you didn't get a chance this year. We're already planning some really cool presentations and demos for next year. I just hope that the space is there to accommodate everything we wanna do. We could have used twice as much for the Village this year.

db

i agree they are odviously far from the best picks out there, I would definately want to see one of these in person before i made the decision to purchase a few thousand for the con. the idea here would just be to get people picking simple locks, and it does include a few different simple rakes which cant be all that bad as long as the metal isnt too flimsy.

as for the buisness card aspect, i wasnt really thinking along that path, theyd be more of a gimmick to get people interested in lockpicking than an actual buisness card.

thanks for the input though some good points to consider.

If you could produce 1 of these cards for around 50 cents and place them with a flyer advertising the lockpicking events at sign in i think it would be well worth the 50 cents tacked onto the entrance fee.

Comment

db
            need any help in the village next year?

Comment

Originally posted by What?
              need any help in the village next year?
              we haven't even started to think about how the village will be laid out and organized. the defcon staff hasn't talked to us at all yet regarding space allocation, either. in a few more months i'd imagine that some ideas will start to be floated and some theories will come together. before then, be happy with the mere rumors of larger space and more fun goodness. trust me, news will come here first when things begin to ramp up again.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'm going to add a new subforum in the DC15 Contests/Events for LP Villa. I'll copy related threads over to it when the time comes. If I forget something, remind me.
                tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

More space would be a huge asset. LSI is hoping to have an even bigger presence next year, offering more presentations, workshops, and demonstrations. Of course, all of this will be dependent on our ability to claim some space. :) I know the TOOOL US boys are looking at stuff as well, and we've brought them into an LSI forum on LP101 to discuss ideas and coordinate events.

As soon as we get word of what we can expect for space, we'll be hot to trot on getting some "content" defined.

I'd personally like to see two skyboxes next year, and no limitations on the time alloted (ie: the Village remains through the evening as well, rather than having to shut down and pack up to make room for parties).

I think that if we had that space and time allotted, we'd have no trouble filling it with cool content. LSI has already earmarked some funds for cool events and stuff.

Cheers,

db

Comment

How much more space are we talking? We have more space next year, so compaired to this year how much more would be awesome++ ?

More space would be a huge asset. LSI is hoping to have an even bigger presence next year, offering more presentations, workshops, and demonstrations. Of course, all of this will be dependent on our ability to claim some space. :) I know the TOOOL US boys are looking at stuff as well, and we've brought them into an LSI forum on LP101 to discuss ideas and coordinate events.

As soon as we get word of what we can expect for space, we'll be hot to trot on getting some "content" defined.

I'd personally like to see two skyboxes next year, and no limitations on the time alloted (ie: the Village remains through the evening as well, rather than having to shut down and pack up to make room for parties).

I think that if we had that space and time allotted, we'd have no trouble filling it with cool content. LSI has already earmarked some funds for cool events and stuff.

Cheers,

db
                    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
                    PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

From observation of hopping in there from time to time.. if the lsi/toool/etc folks maintained the same/equal presence as this year, they should have approximately twice the space as the single skybox.

Point in case, I don't think I ever saw a break where:
                      1) chairs/couches weren't completely full
                      2) huge crowd around the table(s) wasn't difficult to look over (even when tall like I)

I amoung others felt compelled to leave LP Village from time to time to make room for others (or simply out of lack of space), but there was a constant flow of people checking it out, listening to presentations by Deviant / Calypso / Mouse / etc .. or just hanging out and picking locks for the hell of it.

More locks, more presentations, more presence: I would expect it to dictate even greater than 2x the space they had this year, hands down.
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

If we're talking about what would be awesome, I think that twice the space, and no time restrictions would be awesome. Here's what I personally would have in mind for the space if we had everything we wanted...

One skybox would operate very much like it did at DC14, with the LPCON points contest running continually, and tables set up with LSI, TOOOL, Deviant, and Doc (and whoever else wants to join in the fun next year). The other skybox would be specifically dedicated to presentations and demonstrations.

One of the difficulties we experienced last time was finding a suitable place to give presentations. I conducted several "Intro To Lock Picking" presentations that seemed to be pretty well received. However, the only space I had to do it was at one of the round tables in the skybox. This meant that I had at most, about 9 people crowded around seated, and as many as 15-20 standing in a semi-circle around the table watching. I am certain that there would have been more, but people who could not adequately see what was going on just shuffled off.

If we could have had the skybox next door, with rows of chairs and a presentation table in front, it would have been a much more accommodating arena for these types of talks and I am certain that even more would have attended.

I am certain that there is no shortage of folks interested in speaking. I know that from the LSI and TOOOL side of things, there are quite a few who are ready and willing to speak on any number of topics. Once we have the confirmation that the space will be allotted, we can get to the matter of coordinating time slots and pulling the content together.

As well, to make the whole thing go off smoothly, someone is going to have to take up the task of coordination of the space, allocating time slots and so on. What I'd really like to see is an actual schedule of events for the whole weekend, much like the main Defcon program. This schedule could either be included as part of the primary program that is given to all attendees, or we could print them separately and have them available at the Village. Because there are so many things going on at any moment, it would allow people to choose when they want to come to the Village and know that they're not going to miss something they're really jazzed about.

LSI is amped to contribute what ever we can to make the event fun and run smoothly.

Cheers,

db

Comment

*bump*

Has there been any developments regarding the space thing for the LP Village for DC15?

db

Comment

Working...
                          X