Sushicon 3.0 Thanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sushicon 3.0 Thanks

I would like to personally thank all of those who were able to make it out to this years Sushicon. In total we had about 35 people -- all of which were able to be served never ending amounts of sushi.

A Method to my Madness?
    This year, I decided to try out a new format. As many of you know, I posted on the forums that I had made the reservation for 8:00. Well, I lied. I actually had made the reservation for 7:30, and told all those not affiliated with the forum to show up to the location at that time. This enabled the first wave of attendees to be seated, place their orders, and allow the sushi chefs to gain a head start on the plague that has now become Sushicon. When the second wave showed up at 8:00, the first wave was just getting served and the newly arrived attendees were then able to place their orders.

The outcome? The chefs were able to keep up with the constant demand of sushi and kept it coming until everyone had their fill.

Comments / Suggestions / Complaints
    If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or complaints about the way things went this year, please let me know. Each year we are able to improve the way things are run and a great deal of this is due to attendee input.

Future Events
    The next Sushicon event will be Shmooshicon held in Washington, DC in conjunction with Shmoocon. Information regarding that will be posted as the date nears. I look forward to seeing some of you there and the rest of you next year at Sushicon 4.0!
    You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Re: Sushicon 3.0 Thanks

Originally posted by GodMinusOne
    Comments / Suggestions / Complaints
    If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or complaints about the way things went this year, please let me know. Each year we are able to improve the way things are run and a great deal of this is due to attendee input.
    The food was good, and I certainly got good value for my dollars.

Suggestions for next year:
    Like with the ToxicBBQ, suggest a meeting location for a ride share, so as to minimize the number of people traveling by taxi. (We took people back with us, and dropped them off at Ceasar's or some other place on the way back, but they could have saved the cab ride there if I knew to pick up more people-- it was no accident that I had a rental van for Wed-Friday morning. :-)

That location used for the TBBQ PreBBQ Food run, and TBBQ proper trips worked well. As understand it, people met there and shared taxis too. It was also used for at least one other (private) trip too.

I had a limit on the cash on hand, but had plenty of credit, so it was great that I was able to charge my dinner. Credit Cards become complicated with large party orders when people order all you acn eat, and order lots of drinks or extras not covered. A place that allows for split checks with 2 to 4 people per check would be great. If the service and food is served promptly (all you can eat) so everyon can get their fill, I don't think many SushiCon attendees would mind paying the manditory "group's larger than 8" tip even with smaller groups-- just to keep checks limited to a per-group basis.

Will there be a new location next year?

Thanks for Converge and mfreeck for convincing me to go to SushiCon.

Thanks to GM1 for organizing SushiCon this year, and kicking ass when they did not want to keep the agreements they made. Good luck in planning for next year. :-)
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by GodMinusOne
      This year, I decided to try out a new format. As many of you know, I posted on the forums that I had made the reservation for 8:00. Well, I lied. I actually had made the reservation for 7:30, and told all those not affiliated with the forum to show up to the location at that time. This enabled the first wave of attendees to be seated, place their orders, and allow the sushi chefs to gain a head start on the plague that has now become Sushicon. When the second wave showed up at 8:00, the first wave was just getting served and the newly arrived attendees were then able to place their orders.

The outcome? The chefs were able to keep up with the constant demand of sushi and kept it coming until everyone had their fill.

The next Sushicon event will be Shmooshicon held in Washington, DC in conjunction with Shmoocon. Information regarding that will be posted as the date nears. I look forward to seeing some of you there and the rest of you next year at Sushicon 4.0!

Wow - I was the first one there and I arrived at 7:50 PM. Does that mean there was no one there that was not a forum member or guest of a forum member?

I have avoided the sushi resturants in downtown DC so look forward to seeing if they are much better than the ones I frequent here in the suburbs.
      DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
        Like with the ToxicBBQ, suggest a meeting location for a ride share, so as to minimize the number of people traveling by taxi. (We took people back with us, and dropped them off at Ceasar's or some other place on the way back, but they could have saved the cab ride there if I knew to pick up more people-- it was no accident that I had a rental van for Wed-Friday morning. :-)
        :-)
        CotMan -
        I never got the propoer chance to say things again for the ride back. I certainly appreciated it, especially after finding out the phone number Devinat had from last year was no longer in service.

Maybe I can return the favor and offer to chaufer you for SusiCon 4.0.
        DaKahuna

Comment

It was a good time and the spicy tuna was freaking awesome. Wasabi!
          The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
            Wow - I was the first one there and I arrived at 7:50 PM. Does that mean there was no one there that was not a forum member or guest of a forum member?
            I got there about 7:30 and stayed out front for a bit ensuring that people found the restaurant. Most of the people that showed up early were Blackhat attendees.
            You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
              CotMan -
              I never got the propoer chance to say things again for the ride back. I certainly appreciated it, especially after finding out the phone number Devinat had from last year was no longer in service.

Maybe I can return the favor and offer to chaufer you for SusiCon 4.0.
              You are welcome. :-)

Best way to thank me is, if you have a vehicle, use it to offer rides to people to next year's SushiCon-- this would hopefully mean more fun people for next year.

The van thing worked out so well, that I plan to do it again next year for Wed-Fri. If I arrive on Tuesday, then maybe Tuesday-Friday.
              tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                You are welcome. :-)

Best way to thank me is, if you have a vehicle, use it to offer rides to people to next year's SushiCon-- this would hopefully mean more fun people for next year.

The van thing worked out so well, that I plan to do it again next year for Wed-Fri. If I arrive on Tuesday, then maybe Tuesday-Friday.
                Done - I don't have a van but I do have a Highlander and will definately play chaufer to those that need it.
                DaKahuna

Comment

i'll likely be driving down to D.C. and will therefore have the truck in town for smooshicon... count me in as a transport option for about 6 or 7 other people, depending on how many feel like riding in the way back back.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                  X