This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing Brew Wars for DC15

I've talked to Russ. It looks like I'll be running a contest next year at Defcon.

Announcing a new contest for Defcon 15 - Brew Wars

There will be a beer brewing contest at Defcon next year. All styles of beer will be accepted. Each contestant should arrive with at least two twelve ounce bottles of their beer. Each style of beer will be judged based on its style. The standard for each style will be this year's winner of that style at the Great American Beer Festival (http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/index.htm). The overall winner will be the beer that is closest to perfection in its style of brew.

There will be a panel of five judges, each experienced hop heads. They will be provided with a small sample of each beer, and what style of beer it is. All judges are excluded from bringing their own beer to the contest.

I'll drop more details as I hammer them out. I wanted to announce this really early, so you'll have plenty of time to perfect your brews. I also wanted to drop the information early enough that you can get a hold of the beer in your style that won the GABF, which happens at the end of next month.

If anyone would like to come with me to the GABF just get a hold of me. I'll be attending the Saturday afternoon session. That's when they announce this year's winners.

I'm considering a root beer category as well. If we have enough interest in home made root beer I'll go ahead and do it. I'd require yeast carbonation. It'd definitely be dedicated to Sinster. I'd whip up a batch of his last root beer recipe, as we used to exchange our scratch recipes before his untimely death.

Dr. Faustus
    --
    If a man be drunk overnight, the devil cannot hurt him in the morning.
    Dr. Faustus
    --

Re: Announcing Brew Wars for DC15

I'd be interested in judging. I've been brewing for over 10 years and have done many different styles.

Also, would you do a cider class? If so, then I may compete

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
      I'd be interested in judging. I've been brewing for over 10 years and have done many different styles.

Also, would you do a cider class? If so, then I may compete
      I don't have all the judges yet, so I would consider it.

As far as cider goes, I am completely unqualified to judge it. that's the only problem I'd have with it.

Dr. Faustus
      --
      Dr. Faustus
      --

Comment

Ha... yay.... is this official? I allready tried to do this 2-3 years ago and we couldn't get it done.

HELL YEAH! **offers full support and help if needed!!!!** just let me know.
        ======================================
        DJ Jackalope
        dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*
        www.dj-jackalope.com
        send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope
          Ha... yay.... is this official? I allready tried to do this 2-3 years ago and we couldn't get it done.
          Don't worry...I'll make it happen. It was supposed to happen already, but I got lazy/unemployeed.

Dr. Faustus
          --
          Dr. Faustus
          --

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaustus
            I've talked to Russ. It looks like I'll be running a contest next year at Defcon.
            Once DT or Blackbeetle start posting official information about DC15 (dates, locations, etc) or some time late October, mid-November or early December (whichever happens first) we'll probably open up a DC15 discussion area, and I'll publish a new Contests and events subforum.

If for some reason I forget about this thread, please remind me about your intent to run this contest after we start putting up DC15-specific content.

Good idea for a contest; it has been suggested, before, but I don't remember what happened with it. Let's see if che is willing to enter.
            tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Well, I can be a very good judge of cider, especially homebrewed. So, if you would use me as a judge you could have a cider class as well.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

*nominates che for beer judge*
                DJ Jackalope
                www.dj-jackalope.com
                send in the drop bears!

Comment

*nominates che for beer judge*
                  (insert virtual bonk on the head with a rubber chicken)
                  But then he can't enter!

O:-)
                  tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Ok, now THIS is very cool. Looking forward to it.

-heretic

Comment

ha.... *nominates self for beer judge*....

*bonks cotman back*
                      DJ Jackalope
                      www.dj-jackalope.com
                      send in the drop bears!

Comment

Well, I can be a very good judge of cider, especially homebrewed. So, if you would use me as a judge you could have a cider class as well.
                        I'm going to pass on the cider style. While you may be an excellent judge of cider, I'd still have to make sure *all* the judges were up to judging cider. I want to make sure that one judge's decision won't completely sway all judging. Each judge needs to be able to understand and evaluate each style without having to ask the opinions of the group. Another reason for passing on a cider is simplicity. This will be the first year for this competition. I'd like to see this become a new tradition. The best way to ensure success in its first year is to make it as simple as possible. I'm going to avoid as much complexity as I can. Not judging brews other than beer is a big step in that direction.

I can't say that I won't allow other brews in at a future date, but for the first year I'm going to stick to the KISS principle.
                        Dr. Faustus
                        --

Comment

Hey Noid, I figure you and I can sit down and judge some ciders sometime!
                          DJ Jackalope
                          www.dj-jackalope.com
                          send in the drop bears!

Comment

Hey Noid, I figure you and I can sit down and judge some ciders sometime!
                            -raises hand-

I'll take some of that cider action!

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaustus View Post
                              I'm going to pass on the cider style. While you may be an excellent judge of cider, I'd still have to make sure *all* the judges were up to judging cider.
                              As long as it, and some very small rocks, float on water it's a good cider.

I've got a pair of porters I've been working on. Also a mead that is excellent if you're into paint thinner (it's actually quite good). Any chance on a honey-wine category?

Comment

Working...
                              X