CTF for DEF CON 15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTF for DEF CON 15

I hear the CTF pre-qualification is almost ready for teams to enter.

I'm hoping for more complete game descriptions here soon.
    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
    PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Re: CTF for DEF CON 15

Kenshoto's army of code-gnomes has been working fevorishly on the production of this years installment of WarGamez (CTF), more to come here yet tonight, but we'll be making the quals announcement *very* soon.

Here's the announce we'll be sending out tomorrow....

Check it:

Dr. Kenneth Shoto proudly announces that the qualifying round for the Defcon Capture the Flag
    contest is nowopen for registration. The qualifying contest will start at 1 June 2007 @ 2200 EST
    and end 3 June 2007 @ 2200 EST.

Teams can be any size you'd like (more ninjas clearly == better) and each team will
    need to register before 1 June 2007 @ 2200 EST in order to get an account for the actual game.
    The top 7 teams qualify for a seat at the table at the proverbial 'big show' (the actual CtF
    competition) to be held at Defcon 15. Defcon takes placeAugust 3-5th 2007 (http://www.defcon.org/)
    so make sure you clear all those WoW, D&D, and Eve-Online playdates off your calendar early.

That's right hackers and hackettes, get your debuggers warmed up and your shellcode tested,
    cuz it's that time of year again. What you say? You don't know what the hell we're talking
    about? Well, peep dis:

The core of the qualifying competition will be a quiz-like interface where each team may select
    a question and then must hack until they can answer it. Topics will vary widely, but of course
    include such fan-favorites as reversing martian binaries, landing shellcode and a double lutz
    simultaneously, and stealing information from strange places. We've also thrown in challenges
    like intar-webs hax0rification and mind-bendy trivia so the 5kr1p+ K1dd1e5 can play along
    (much love).

This year the game allows for maximum parallelization on questions. When the leading team
    selects a question, that question (and all the ones they already answered) becomes available
    to the trailing teams. In other words, there is no need to register multiple ghost accounts
    as they won't give any advantage (*ahem*skewl*cough)...

Don't have the stones to think you can win? Well, you should sign-up and play anyway. The
    winning team from last year actually got primed up for the game by competing in quals. They then
    kicked it up a notch by spending the next three months figuring out every detail of every challenge
    we put out there and explaining it all as if paid to do so (check it out http://nopsr.us/ctf2006prequal/).
    Besides, how else are you gonna sharpen those skillz and convert yourself from poser to p3wner?

So what are you waiting for? Jump onto your nops-sled and slide over to
    http://kenshoto.allyourboxarebelongto.us:1337/ to sign up for quals now...

-kenshoto

(ctf07 at kenshoto.com)

Comment

It seems about half the teams that have registered haven't clicked the email verification link.

Check your spam folders. :)

Comment

Right, due to Ken's poor backup strategy and my dumb ass, all teams who have previously registered should register again. To ensure that those who have registered and never check this forum again still get a chance to play, quals will be kept open up to and during the qualification rounds.

Apologies,
        metr0

Comment

Originally posted by metr0 View Post
          Right, due to Ken's poor backup strategy and my dumb ass, all teams who have previously registered should register again. To ensure that those who have registered and never check this forum again still get a chance to play, quals will be kept open up to and during the qualification rounds.

Apologies,
          metr0
          Originally posted by kenshoto.allyourboxarebelongto.us
          500 Internal error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.