Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for the Lockpicking Village (copied from LP Contest subforum)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for the Lockpicking Village (copied from LP Contest subforum)

Oooh.. thank you! I've been waiting for this for months. :D

Firstly, as I've mentioned before, I *really* think the LP Village would do well to have twice the space that we had at DC14. The way I envision it is thusly...

One skybox room would be dedicated to the LPCON, and the tables set up as they were last year. Presumably Deviant will be there again, as will Doc. LSI will be there, and I believe TOOOL will be wanting to set up as well.

I believe the other room should be set up with more of a "theatre style" seating arrangement for presentations. One of the challenges we faced last year was in giving presentations and workshops. When I offered "Intro to LP" workshops there was only seating for about 9 at most (plus myself), and there were people standing all around trying to watch. Even more would have participated, but they were unable to see what was going on, so they sort of shuffled off and missed out. I think having a dedicated space near by (ideally right next door) would be perfect for this.

LSI has been putting together a number of ideas for additional "content" for the Village, including some cool events, team events, presentations, and so on, but until we know what kind of space we can expect, it is hard to plan accordingly.

As well, I think it would be a great idea to have an actual program for the Village events and presentations. This could either be included with the general DC program, or if nothing else, printed out and made available at the door to anyone who wants one. There is so much to take in at Defcon and it would help people know when to actually be at the village to see what they want to see. In this respect, I think that it is important that somebody - anybody - take the ultimate responsibility of scheduling events within the Village. Someone to take proposals, assign time slots for the presentation area (assuming we are able to have that space), and so on.

LSI is very committed to pulling together some cool content, and my understanding from speaking with the TOOOL boys is that they are also amped to pull some of their own stuff together, so I don't think content will be a problem. I think the two problems right now that stand in the way of good planning is confirmation of space and coordination of that space.

I'm more than happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers,

db

Re: Let the 2007 LockPick Planning Begin

Originally posted by digital_blue View Post
    Oooh.. thank you! I've been waiting for this for months. :D

Firstly, as I've mentioned before, I *really* think the LP Village...
    I've broken out the LockPicking Village from the LPCon discussions so we can have dedicated discussions for each, and each can be organized in parallel.

While LPCon is taking place, it is difficult for LPCon organizers to be in the LP Village, and I'm sure there are people in the LP Village that would like to see LPCon.

What could make these work better together, would be to give the two suggested skybox at the end that overlook the contest area, to the LPVillage and LP-Presentation people, and then ensure the LPCon setup is placed immediately below these skyboxes for "bird's eye view" of the contest from the balconies.

I'll copy your post and this reply to the LP Village section for the people that will be focusing on the LP Village portion of the Con.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Re: Suggestions for the Lockpicking Village (copied from LP Contest subforum)

Thank you. :)

So... who exactly does run the LP Village?

Comment

Last year, a bunch of people worked together from different groups to make the Lockpicking Village a success. I asked Deviant Ollam to act as a Forum Leader/Organizer for this section, but you should know that he is not the only person involved with organizing it-- he is just a central person to many/all of the participating parties involved in that/those room/rooms. He is also on the forum often enough, and is known by many of us on the forums. He is the ideal candidate. I'm not saying he doesn't do anything for this or othere events, but I am saying he is one of many involved in making it work. (He could also provide an even longer list of organizers, if you asked him.)

The description of the LP Village subforum says this:
        Originally posted by description
        This is a subforum dedicated to discussion and planning of the Defcon Lockpicking Village. This is where there have been lockpicking, presentations, impromptu peer-education, sample tools, practice locks, and fun! This event has included local and remote support of people from TOOOL, TOOOL-USA, LSI, and more.
        (I think Doc was found in the LP Village during the con too.)

If more groups/people plan to contribute to the LP Village, more citations can be added.

Like many contests and events, there are often many organizers that work together. For a good example of this, check out the Toxic BBQ, and you'll see several Forum Leaders/Organizers listed, but there are even more people than you see listed, who are involved with supporting the Toxic BBQ.

For many Contests and Event subforums, once you are viewing a list of threads, you should be able to scroll down to the bottom of that web page, ad see "Leader(s)/Organizer(s)" in the lower right corner, and a list of forum usernames. These are Forum Leader(s)/Organizer(s) for that subforum. Frequently, they are also the Leader/Organizer of the actual event as well. (Not all Contest/Event leader or organizers are necessarily listed as Forum Leaders/Organizers.)

So... if you have ideas for the LP Village, Deviant Ollam is an excellent point of contact and a really good guy.

By the way, thanks Deviant Ollam for acting as a Forum Leader/Organizer for this event. :-)

(And before you ask, more Forum Leaders/Organizers can be added to any contest/event subforum. We did this for Hacker Jeopardy, and Toxic BBQ. All that "Forum Leader/Organizer" status means, is those users can set/unset stickies, soft delete posts/threads in their subforums, and a few more controls to better control, manage and promote the contest or event in the subforum.)

And one more thing!
        If there will be a separate room for Lockpick courses/classes we can make a 3rd subforum for that, or keep it combined with the LP Village subforum.
        Last edited by TheCotMan; 01-04-2007, 03:07 AM.
        tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Ok, thanks for all that.

Here are a few of the proposed presentations/workshops that we've (LSI) been looking at so far (though there's far more "in development" at the very moment).

- Introduction to lock picking (an obvious choice) with a formal presentation (about 20-30 minutes) with breakaway workshops in smaller groups to follow. We'd likely have 3-5 experienced pickers ready to roll immediately following the presentation to work with smaller groups. This is the kind of thing that should probably be running at least a couple times a day throughout the con.

- Home Tool Making (presentation only I'd expect.. last thing we need is to cut people loose with power tools :P ).

- Team Relay Challenge (team event, with cool props.. in development now)

- Lock Picking, A Backstage Look - this is basically a mounted cutaway pin tumbler rigged up with a small camera and a screen of some sort (working on that still...) that would allow people to actually see the pins being manipulated through the picking process. This rig will allow for demonstrations by an experienced picker, and double as a teaching tool.

Much more to come, but we'll need to know just how much floor time and space we'll have to work with. (If anyone come up with an answer to that question, please feel free to contact me directly).

As well, if there is need for help in organizing, etc, I am more than willing to help out. My hope is (has been) to help make the Lockpicking Village a huge attraction for DC15. I think that the constant traffic and interest in the LPV at DC14 showed what great potential there is there. People like this stuff. :)

db

Comment

Ok, thanks for all that.

Here are a few of the proposed presentations/workshops that we've (LSI) been looking at so far (though there's far more "in development" at the very moment).

- Introduction to lock picking (an obvious choice) with a formal presentation (about 20-30 minutes) with breakaway workshops in smaller groups to follow. We'd likely have 3-5 experienced pickers ready to roll immediately following the presentation to work with smaller groups. This is the kind of thing that should probably be running at least a couple times a day throughout the con.

- Home Tool Making (presentation only I'd expect.. last thing we need is to cut people loose with power tools :P ).

- Team Relay Challenge (team event, with cool props.. in development now)

- Lock Picking, A Backstage Look - this is basically a mounted cutaway pin tumbler rigged up with a small camera and a screen of some sort (working on that still...) that would allow people to actually see the pins being manipulated through the picking process. This rig will allow for demonstrations by an experienced picker, and double as a teaching tool.

Much more to come, but we'll need to know just how much floor time and space we'll have to work with. (If anyone come up with an answer to that question, please feel free to contact me directly).
            Rockin'!

As for the contests, if you think they will be at all popular, and draw crowds, perhaps this could run on the contest floor, or Doc (from the LP Contest) might be willing to have your contest included. (Easy enough to ask.)

As for one of the classes: ask to be a speaker; you may want to consider submitting a paper during the CFP for Defcon 15. Defcon has often had at least one Lockpicking prsentation. Maybe your presentation will make you a speaker? Who knows? If you were a speaker at Defcon, you could use your presentation to promote the breakout session room after your talk.

If the organizers from TOOOL[.*] as well as organizers from LSI (yourself included) and the other people not affiliated with either organization can come up with content to fill a breakout session room for the whole weekend, there is an excellent chance to get at least two skyboxes to share between the LP Village and the breakout/training sessions.

Also, since this is included as one of the earliest events to be planned, you may have a better chance of getting locations and rooms you desire. (Let's hope that Grifter will be Assigning the skyboxes again this years, and can be bribed to get all of you what you need in the way of skyboxes. ;-)

As well, if there is need for help in organizing, etc, I am more than willing to help out. My hope is (has been) to help make the Lockpicking Village a huge attraction for DC15. I think that the constant traffic and interest in the LPV at DC14 showed what great potential there is there. People like this stuff. :)
            This is so cool. This is how Defcon works:
            People doing what they like, often working with others, encouraging other volunteers to help, providing fun for everyone. :-)

You see a need not being met by someone else, and you fill it.

I don't know who made what arrangements or agreements last year to organize any presentation room to work with the LP Village. Let's see if Deviant Ollam knows of any arrangements between any of the LP Village organizers for this year and a breakout room for instruction. (The word from DT at the end of DC14 suggested that doubling the space available to the Lockping organizers in the Skyboxes was an almost sure-thing.)

Keep your offer "out here" for a while and see what other people say. Perhaps people from TOOOL and independent attendees will also help you organize such an event? Maybe they had something in line? Maybe they had nothing planned, just liked the idea from last year? Questions like these are all perfect for the forums.
            Last edited by TheCotMan; 01-05-2007, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks Cot and DB.

I (DOC) have ultimate responsibility for both the LPCon and the LP Village. But of course it is impossible to accomplish without everyone involved, especially Deviant Ollam, Varjeal, LSI and TOOLZUSA. I will put in the request to Russ for the end skyboxes and see what we can do.

Are there any new events/contests that would be cool to add?

Comment

Just an FYI, there's a distinct possibility that Varjeal will be out of the loop this year. He may still make it, but it sounds dicey.

We've got a bunch of ideas for contests/events, but I definitely think that what you ran with last year Doc was very good. Both those events should definitely be repeated. I've got a couple ideas for some team events, and will be more than happy/prepared to bring what's needed to make it happen.

I'll post more details in a bit. Gotta run. :)

db

Comment

I talked with Russ and it seems unlikely we will get a second skybox for the LPVillage. What he did recommend is that we could do some training and presentations on the main floor of the contest area. We would just have to work the schedule in a way that would minimize interruptions.

The contest idea about making your own tools is a cool idea. I think we might have a safety issue and a space issue with several grinders in our little skybox. Lets keep this as a possibility and see where we are at as we get closer.

Thanks
                  Doc

Comment

That's a shame. With the same crew as last year, plus the addition of TOOOL to the mix, the skybox is going to be packed. That will greatly limit the contests, events, etc that we can run.

There's no sense in LSI bringing in lots of gear and getting displays and events prepared if there won't be a place to hold them.

db

Comment

With the same crew as last year, plus the addition of TOOOL to the mix, the skybox is going to be packed.
                      heh... never one to go without a nitpick now and then, i might want to point out that TOOOL was there last year. heh, it was we who actually started the Defcon LP Village.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Not to nitpick, but I seem to recall that some of the space along the hallway was becoming available. This area might be larger and more flexible than the skyboxes.

I may be wrong, but don't force yourselves into a skybox when there's other space available.
                        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Scaramental Wine Taster for the Church Of WiFi
                        Buy our books!
                        "I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" – Adam Savage
                        CoWF WPA Hash Tables
                        My Pants Are Haunted! My Pants Are Haunted!

Comment

Well for sure. I'm all for whatever space is provided. I'd just really like it to be larger than what we had last year. More people there to show stuff off and more events means more space is needed.

db

Comment

That's a shame. With the same crew as last year, plus the addition of TOOOL to the mix, the skybox is going to be packed. That will greatly limit the contests, events, etc that we can run.

There's no sense in LSI bringing in lots of gear and getting displays and events prepared if there won't be a place to hold them.

db
                            I am confident we can adapt and overcome. The two main groups in the LPVillage last year were TOOOL and LSI. We will just need to figure out the best configuration we can. If we are able to get more space than last year, GREAT, but we need to plan for the worst. It's all good. Thanks guys

Comment

Sorry for my extended absence. Real life has been just nuts lately.

Its time to start getting everything set for LPCON5 at DEFCON15. The website is up at: www.securitytribe.com/~doc/lpcon5/.

I would like to put out an invitation for the following:
                              1. Recommendations for the rules this years SkillZ competition (formerly known as the speed competition) and also the Points competition.
                              2. Recommendation for improvements over last year
                              3. LPCON 5 official T-Shirt Designs. Please send to doc-lpcon at hotmail dot com by June 1st.
                              4. Any requests for talks?
                              5. Any volunteers to talk? (and the topic)
                              6. Other volunteers to help (tracking points etc)
                              7. Volunteers to bring locks and boards to add to the points competition
                              8. Anybody have a company or organization that would be willing to provide some sponsorship (prizes, locks etc)?

Thanks All
                              Doc

Comment

Working...
                              X