Gringo Warrior contest results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gringo Warrior contest results

it's been a week since i got home from DEFCON and i realize i haven't put up the offical numbers for Gringo Warrior. we had a large number of attendees take a stab at this scenario-based lockpicking course, and a baker's dozen of them actually completed their escape from jail within the alloted time.

during the main rounds of competition, the following attempts were seen...

larry
    2:59
    easy cuffs, easy door, easy file cabinet, easy deadbolt, no car
    score: 241

kevin
    3:45
    easy cuffs, easy door, no passport, easy deadbolt, easy car
    score: 275

chris
    5:00
    easy cuffs, easy door, easy cabinet, easy deadbolt, no car
    score: 280

phil
    4:28
    cuffs behind back, easy door, no cabinet, easy deadbolt, easy car
    score: 352

tom
    3:42
    easy cuffs, easy door, easy cabinet, easy deadbolt, easy car
    score: 378

sirius
    3:00
    cuffs behind back, easy door, easy cabinet, medium deadbolt, no car
    score: 400

drew
    4:15
    cuffed behind back, easy door, easy cabinet, easy deadbolt, medium car
    score: 405

lagshot
    4:51
    cuffed to a chair, easy door, medium cabinet, medium deadbolt, easy car
    score: 409

jgor
    3:18
    easy cuffs, medium door, medium cabinet, medium deadbolt, medium car
    score: 482

schuyler
    4:27
    cuffed behind back, hard door, hard cabinet, easy deadbolt, medium car
    score: 493

valanx
    4:12
    cuffed behind back, medium door, hard cabinet, easy deadbolt, medium car
    score: 508

wsbpress
    3:51
    easy cuffs, hard door, no cabinet, medium deadbolt, medium car
    score: 509

dosman
    3:27
    cuffed behind back, hard door, medium cabinet, easy deadbolt, medium car
    score: 593

... if you're doing math and not comprehending things totally, note that there are other factors that contribute to the score, including matters like how the contestant disabled the guard and whether or not they took steps to be inconspicuous when leaving the jail.

i'll post the results of the finalists' round in a second.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Gringo Warrior contest results

At 5:00 in the afternoon, the main Gringo Warrior competition rounds were stopped and all scores were reviewed. The top five players up to that point were then given the opportunity to make one more run through the course, hopefully improving upon their times.

In all but one instance, players improved their scores. However, the better of each two scores what the one that counted for each person.

Here were the results of the finalists' round (the "medium" car lock was broken at the end of normal competition and therefore was not used at all in this last round)...

jgor
    4:47
    easy cuffs, easy door, easy file cabinet, easy deadbolt, easy car
    score: 193

wsbpress
    3:07
    easy cuffs, hard door, medium file cabinet, medium deadbolt, easy car
    score: 573

valanx
    3:00
    cuffed behind back, medium door, medium file cabinet, medium deadbolt, easy car
    score: 580

dosman
    2:12
    cuffed behind back, hard door, medium file cabinet, hard deadbolt, easy car
    score: 708

schuyler
    2:39
    cuffed behind back, hard door, hard file cabinet, hard deadbolt, easy car
    score: 721

it came down to a miraculous photo finish between schuyler and dosman. each had very similar times (two minutes and change) and attacked almost all the same locks. eventhough schuyler was a slower by almost 30 seconds, he attacked the hard filing cabinet lock as opposed to the medium one. this alloted him enough in additional points to be the grand prize winner.

sadly, due to a miscommunication, this was the first year that i can recall i which the Lockpicking Contest was not a Black Badge event. Schuyler was a really good sport about it, however, and we hope to have all things squared away for next year.

Did you come out and watch? Did you participate? Post your comments here. Hope you all had fun, i know that i sure did. See you at DC17!
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

I was feeling super-confident after my second run and was FLOORED when Dosman stepped up like that. It absolutely came down to the calculation at the end, shockingly close. It was a blast competing and huge props to you for setting this up and each of the competitors. This was probably my favorite part of con.

Comment

*grumble* KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Next time, I'll be sabotaging your efforts.
        ----------------------------------------
        Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

Working...
        X