Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New ideas?

    Soo... I was thinking the DC16 Official and Unofficial Events and Contests could use a "New ideas" section much like exists in the current Contents & Events section...
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

  • #2
    Re: New ideas?

    Originally posted by bascule View Post
    Soo... I was thinking the DC16 Official and Unofficial Events and Contests could use a "New ideas" section much like exists in the current Contents & Events section...
    Ahh yes. New Ideas is supposed to be moved up with each contests/event forum. Thanks for the reminder. New Ideas is now in the DC16 contests and events space, bringing with it, new ideas from previous years.

    Actually, this is the part I should post something like, "what? It has been there the whole time. I can't believe you missed it!" ]:>

    Thanks again!
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New ideas?

      I'm an expert in hacking Dish Network / Bell ExpressVu. No kidding - I really get paid by the "white hats" to do it. I was thinking of presenting on this topic at DC15, but never got around to it. Now I'm thinking that for DC16 we could also have some kind of contest for hacking a "clean" DISH box. I'm not sure how we could do that and stay within the DMCA. Something like this would be fun and probably interesting for a lot of people if we could do it legally. What do you think?
      "The natural tendency of Government is toward abuse of power. Men entrusted with power, even those aware of its dangers, tend, particularly when pressured, to slight liberty." - , April 26 (legislative day, April 14), 1976

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New ideas?

        Originally posted by liberator View Post
        I'm an expert in hacking Dish Network / Bell ExpressVu. No kidding - I really get paid by the "white hats" to do it. I was thinking of presenting on this topic at DC15, but never got around to it. Now I'm thinking that for DC16 we could also have some kind of contest for hacking a "clean" DISH box. I'm not sure how we could do that and stay within the DMCA. Something like this would be fun and probably interesting for a lot of people if we could do it legally. What do you think?
        </me looks at my Dish hanging off the house and two JVC receivers>

        Personally, I'd be interested in the talk at the very least, although I suspect that hacking a receiver in a contest might be over my head. Not that I want to do anything illegal to the boxes, but it's a black box and I hate not knowing the details of what's going on inside in any tech in my home. It would be interesting to learn about what's going on in there.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New ideas?

          Damn. I just threw a box away that we had not used for over three years. Wish this could have come up earlier and I would have known to donate it to the cause.
          DaKahuna
          ___________________
          Will Hack for Bandwidth

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New ideas? Ask A Ninja

            I do not have a hacking or knowledge base idea, but rather would like to suggest getting the Ask a Ninja guy. Perhaps, he and Johnny Long could do a skit suggesting the solution to the age old dilemma, "Are pirates better than Ninjas?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New ideas?

              Since the wireless keyboard crypto was just broken, I thought it would be cool to do a wifi keyboard shootout. See how far someone can actually hack a wi-fi keyboard and actually be able to read the text.

              Me and a few friends have been discussing this and I think it would be cool to actually see what others could do with this type of hack.
              XS

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New ideas?

                Rooting a VOIP network? Not in actuality but could be interesting.
                I don't know, just brainstorming.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New ideas?

                  Originally posted by SarperDomain View Post
                  Rooting a VOIP network? Not in actuality but could be interesting.
                  I don't know, just brainstorming.
                  As some of you mite know Cisco has a very friendly return policy as far as their resellers go or at least they did.

                  90 Day DOA NQA(No questions asked) Or Opened Defective
                  90 Day Unopened Non-Defective
                  90 Day Opened Non-Defective

                  So perhaps we could put together a small VOIP network for kicks and giggles then return it.

                  I've taken advantage of this policy when I needed to demo equipment I couldn't afford to buy.

                  Also a suggestion for movie night; anything by Monty Python which I haven't see in a long time and am sure the younger gen hasn't either. Maybe do some skits like ala Rocky Horror Picture Show.

                  xor

                  Ps Maybe check to see if Kevin Warwick mite speak http://www.kevinwarwick.com/ > He is a teacher so he may dig speaking to an audience like Defcon.
                  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New ideas?

                    I always enjoyed DEFCON radio when it was active. If for any reason it is not practical to restore it perhaps we could use the modern equivalent- podcasting. Perhaps daily podcasts could be used for a more immediate atmosphere.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New ideas?

                      There is nothing new under the sun...

                      I would love to see FM broadcasts... humm....

                      Nothing to see here, move along.

                      LosT

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New ideas?

                        Originally posted by madnos View Post
                        Since the wireless keyboard crypto was just broken, I thought it would be cool to do a wifi keyboard shootout. See how far someone can actually hack a wi-fi keyboard and actually be able to read the text.

                        Me and a few friends have been discussing this and I think it would be cool to actually see what others could do with this type of hack.
                        The keyboards are Fast RF last I checked not Wifi. Or am i mistaken?

                        Originally posted by LosT View Post
                        There is nothing new under the sun...

                        I would love to see FM broadcasts... humm....

                        Nothing to see here, move along.

                        LosT

                        FM Broadcasts would be cool indeed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: New ideas?

                          Originally posted by LosT View Post
                          There is nothing new under the sun...

                          I would love to see FM broadcasts... humm....

                          Nothing to see here, move along.

                          LosT
                          I'm looking into setting up FM broadcasts for DC updates, etc. and have discussed it with DT. Also, I'm looking into various update tools to keep everyone up to date on what's going on at DC. I'm calling the project "ComAtCon" and info will be at www.comatcon.com when I have some time (not too much right now since I'm just starting a new job with a Canadian bank). Any suggestions for content would be appreciated.
                          Last edited by DotNM; 02-03-2008, 04:53 PM. Reason: Added more information

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: New ideas?

                            Originally posted by DotNM View Post
                            Any suggestions for content would be appreciated.
                            Updates on contest- possibly a coordination with the contest area Goons on this-

                            If this is a for sure setup, please PM me privately.

                            LosT

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: New ideas?

                              Originally posted by liberator View Post
                              I'm an expert in hacking Dish Network / Bell ExpressVu. No kidding - I really get paid by the "white hats" to do it. I was thinking of presenting on this topic at DC15, but never got around to it. Now I'm thinking that for DC16 we could also have some kind of contest for hacking a "clean" DISH box. I'm not sure how we could do that and stay within the DMCA. Something like this would be fun and probably interesting for a lot of people if we could do it legally. What do you think?
                              I just upgraded to FTA so if you wanted, i have 2 B3V 3100 recievers and 2 atmega 128 cards.... Now if only there was a dish.... ;)

                              Cheers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X