Oh no! DefconBots cancelled/on hold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! DefconBots cancelled/on hold

Well, some bad news. I've decided that I just don't have enough time or drive to make the defconbots contest work this year. So, it'll be on hold this year (or until someone wants to step up to run it.)

I've had a great time running the contest in the past, and it really is a fun event. But like all things it needs some fresh blood every few years to keep it exciting, and I'm just not the one to keep doing it.

So, someone needs to step up and volunteer! It's not that hard to run, and you get to make your own rules and such. I'd suggest a 3-year format where the first year you start out with something simpler, then the next year make it a bit harder, then a bit harder again. Then on the 4th year you have to think up something completely new. That's where I am now, and it's time to let someone else come up with a new contest.

And a big sorry to all the teams that have put work in already, I really appoligize that I took so long to decide this. I know I put in at least 20-30 hours working on the demo bot. I'm sure you'll all find secondary uses for the bot and code though :)

Kallahar
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Re: Oh no! DefconBots cancelled/on hold

Thank you for all those years of hard work, Kallahar! You've made this contest what it is today and I hope that we can find someone equally motivated to take it to the next level.

-Russ

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
    Well, some bad news. I've decided that I just don't have enough time or drive to make the defconbots contest work this year. So, it'll be on hold this year (or until someone wants to step up to run it.)

I've had a great time running the contest in the past, and it really is a fun event. But like all things it needs some fresh blood every few years to keep it exciting, and I'm just not the one to keep doing it.

So, someone needs to step up and volunteer! It's not that hard to run, and you get to make your own rules and such. I'd suggest a 3-year format where the first year you start out with something simpler, then the next year make it a bit harder, then a bit harder again. Then on the 4th year you have to think up something completely new. That's where I am now, and it's time to let someone else come up with a new contest.

And a big sorry to all the teams that have put work in already, I really appoligize that I took so long to decide this. I know I put in at least 20-30 hours working on the demo bot. I'm sure you'll all find secondary uses for the bot and code though :)

Kallahar

Comment

Many thanks to Kallahar for the 4 years he put into running defconbots. It has been a job well done and a highlight of my Defcon experience.

Comment

Nice work in keeping this going as long as you and other volunteers have been running it.

Here is the bad news:
        If nobody steps forward by the end of May, I'll be closing this forum, after posting a sticky about it not having a leader/organizer and no indication of happening.

Someone else can still step forward and try to talk to Russ about space and get permission to take it over, and I or one of the other admins can re-enable this forum. I'll check with Russ before disabling this forum, to see if anyone has stepped forward and made arrangements to be at Defcon 17.

So, there is a deadline from me for keeping a forum open for a presently inactive, leaderless contest, to provide a window for people to come forward to support it.
        tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Maybe command of the project should go to the winning team from last year?

Comment

I've had brief discussions with Kallahar and Russ about hosting this event this year. Before I committed to anything I wanted to gauge interest in the event. The plan is for the event to be car-based so that those who have already started wouldn't have to throw it all away. The other option would be to do a guided egg-drop like challenge. Do either of these options sound appealing and are you guys still up for it?

bob_ross

Comment

Originally posted by bob_ross View Post
              I've had brief discussions with Kallahar and Russ about hosting this event this year. Before I committed to anything I wanted to gauge interest in the event. The plan is for the event to be car-based so that those who have already started wouldn't have to throw it all away. The other option would be to do a guided egg-drop like challenge. Do either of these options sound appealing and are you guys still up for it?

bob_ross
              I checked with Russ and Kallahar, and the above is genuine. Bob_Ross could be running this contest soon, so if you plan to be involved, it would be wise to respond.
              tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                I checked with Russ and Kallahar, and the above is genuine. Bob_Ross could be running this contest soon, so if you plan to be involved, it would be wise to respond.

We have a couple cars and are willing to continue working on it, but need specs soonish, preferably.

Comment

Speak up people if you want to see this contest continue.

I always really enjoyed watching the teams compete. I would stand there watching and think to myself "There are freaking robot guns doing battle at my convention. How cool is that?!?!"
                  The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
                  PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                    Speak up people if you want to see this contest continue.

I always really enjoyed watching the teams compete. I would stand there watching and think to myself "There are freaking robot guns doing battle at my convention. How cool is that?!?!"
                    It would be even cooler if it were robotic sharks with frickin' lasers.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

bob_ross, are we moving forward with this?
                      Please let me know ASAP so that we can plan accordingly.
                      Thank you,
                      Pyr0

Comment

Kallahar, You are the man.

Please people, don't let the bots competition die. Or I will assimilate it! ;)

1o57

Comment

Defcon Bots is a blast to watch! No dying.
                          ======================================
                          DJ Jackalope
                          dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*
                          www.dj-jackalope.com
                          send in the drop bears!
                          ======================================

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
                            Defcon Bots is a blast to watch! No dying.
                            2nd'ed - I love it, especially when the guns go wild and attack the crowd.

Comment

Please contact RUSS immediately if not already because we are finalizing the conference setup at this time. I think all of us were under the impression this was not being held. I'm looking out for your best interests here, however I'm not sure the space is there to assign. Please act ASAP because we need the info VERY soon finalized for the Defcon program.
                              "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Working...
                              X