Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on 101/Thursday Events

Hi there everyone,

I wanted to clarify a few things regarding Thursday at the con and Defcon 101. Defcon 101 is not the only thing to be happening that day. There have been some emails & calls lately from confused speakers/people.

Thursday at the con is just like any other day. We will have a schedule, we will have speakers, we will have NEW training sessions. The overall tone of Thursdays content is training and advice for those attending the con for the first time, and who would like to try something new. Such as; Lockpicking, Soldering, Career advice, How to enjoy the con, what is CTF/aCTF, and other various short training sessions. This new day of talks/trainings was meant to show the Defcon first time attendee how to get the most out of the con and how to for example: Lock pick or Solder before they head to the Hardware hacking village or Lockpick booth, etc etc.

(HHV, LockPick, etc will still to continue to operate as normal during the rest of the con, the Thursday sessions are separate and are meant to give the attendee a leg up before participating the rest of the weekend.)

Defcon 101 is an Accepted Panel of speakers who are going to explaining things to new comers, show you cool things, and above all having a great panel of Defcon staff and contest organizers to explain how Defcon works and take questions. This will be a great panel and a must see event for the "Newbs" as they say.

If you wanted to participate in a talk, panel, training session, etc on Thursday you did not and do not need to ok this with the Defcon 101 talk organizers. They are just like any other speaker or event at Defcon. (only this year it's being held on Thursday). I want to make this clear as there has been some confusion, if you want to speak or hold an event at defcon you needed to submit a CFP. If you were confused on that, please email talks (at) defcon (dot) org. Understand that the CFP is closed now and there is VERY VERY limited space on thursday but if you feel you did not understand the CFP process I personally am willing to give your submission a proper review.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at nikita (at) defcon (dot) org or post them here. Thank you

Nikita
    "Haters, gonna hate"

Re: Clarification on 101/Thursday Events

Thanks for the clarification and all your hard work.

Any idea on when the speaker schedule will be published?
    Some travel plans depend on that information.

Thanks,
    --bc,

Comment

Originally posted by big chopper View Post
      Thanks for the clarification and all your hard work.

Any idea on when the speaker schedule will be published?
      Some travel plans depend on that information.

Thanks,
      --bc,
      We are hoping to be done with our speaker selections by June 1st. We may be behind schedule a little bit, but normally the schedule wont come out for a few weeks after that. I will be working on the schedule in the next few weeks. Hopefully, If things work out I can get the schedule built and online soon, but if things linger as they often do, It might be June 15th until we see a solid first draft of the schedule.
      "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
        We are hoping to be done with our speaker selections by June 1st. We may be behind schedule a little bit, but normally the schedule wont come out for a few weeks after that. I will be working on the schedule in the next few weeks. Hopefully, If things work out I can get the schedule built and online soon, but if things linger as they often do, It might be June 15th until we see a solid first draft of the schedule.
        The Pontifical We of the DC101 also thanks you Nikita, for clarifying this apparent confusion. We say, the more the merrier!

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
          The Pontifical We of the DC101 also thanks you Nikita, for clarifying this apparent confusion. We say, the more the merrier!

Regards,

valkyrie
          What is with the Hoodlums for Nikita comment in the other thread? I don't get it, I get Bunnies for Priest but the hoodlums for Nikita? Is there some kind of underground photo going around with a 'shopped pic of me hanging out in some seedy dark ally with gangsters and ak47's? Really got me curious but I forgot to ask about it earlier.
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

What is with the Hoodlums for Nikita comment in the other thread? I don't get it, I get Bunnies for Priest but the hoodlums for Nikita? Is there some kind of underground photo going around with a 'shopped pic of me hanging out in some seedy dark ally with gangsters and ak47's? Really got me curious but I forgot to ask about it earlier.
            Some of us just figured if Priest can have a posse, so can you. :-D

Don't be hatin' on the hoodlums now, they got your back...

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
              Some of us just figured if Priest can have a posse, so can you. :-D

Don't be hatin' on the hoodlums now, they got your back...

Regards,

valkyrie

AWESOME, I always wanted my very own Posse
              "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

AWESOME, I always wanted my very own Posse
                With a posse comes responsibility. You'll needing to wrangle them cattle rustlers and head them off at the pass.
                A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                  With a posse comes responsibility. You'll needing to wrangle them cattle rustlers and head them off at the pass.
                  Amish buzz kill. buzzkillbuzzkillbuzzkill. So there!

regards,

valkyrie

Comment

I still want to have the title of "Monkey-Butler-Goon-Contest-Creator" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                      Uhh...is that Contest-Creator or Contest Creator? Looks like you have given yourself 5 titles there:

Monkey
                      Butler
                      Goon
                      Contest and last but obviously not least,
                      Creator

If you are the creator, then thanks for giving us life oh wise one.
                      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                        While you are at it oh creator, I really would like your bio. Or is what you wrote above sufficient?

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Uhh...is that Contest-Creator or Contest Creator? Looks like you have given yourself 5 titles there:

Monkey
                          Butler
                          Goon
                          Contest and last but obviously not least,
                          Creator

If you are the creator, then thanks for giving us life oh wise one.

I see a Defcon Chess Set in the making.

Comment

Thursday at the con is just like any other day. We will have a schedule, we will have speakers, we will have NEW training sessions.
                            If this is going to be "just like any other day" will there be a badge requirement? Will this overlap typical Thursday activities, such as registration, etc? I'm concerned that adding "official" events on Thursday could really become overwhelming since Thursday is typically used for con setup and "unofficial" activities.

Thanks,
                            Alx
                            Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
                              If this is going to be "just like any other day" will there be a badge requirement? Will this overlap typical Thursday activities, such as registration, etc? I'm concerned that adding "official" events on Thursday could really become overwhelming since Thursday is typically used for con setup and "unofficial" activities.

Thanks,
                              Alx
                              You make some very good points...
                              And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X