This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham license exams

Last year I organized a VE testing session on Sunday and got about a dozen people licensed as amateur radio operators. Is there interest in doing it again this year?

-Jon

Re: Ham license exams

Originally posted by JonM View Post
    Last year I organized a VE testing session on Sunday and got about a dozen people licensed as amateur radio operators. Is there interest in doing it again this year?

-Jon
    Get a nod from RussR and I can make a forum for this as an event and move this thread into that space for planning and discussion.
    (If in a Skybox, a nod from Grifter, assuming he's still the Skybox guy) and I can make a forum for it too.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by JonM View Post

-Jon
      Count me again as a VE.
      "*x74*x68*x65*x70*x72*x65*x7a*x39*x38";

Comment

This year I will do my best to have upgraded to extra and gotten my VE creds OR sit to upgrade to extra. +1 for interest.

Comment

I need to upgrade to General. I may or may not get it by then. If not, I'd be down for testing at Defcon.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I can volunteer my VE services again this year.

Comment

Looking to upgrade to Extra also. Heard good things from a friend who got his General at con last year.
              afterburn

Comment

Awesome. With dcflux, theprez and myself, we should have no problem testing people up to Extra.

-Jon

Comment

Please do testing again this year! I want to take the Extra test!

What else am i going to do on the plane for 8 hours other than study.

Comment

Originally posted by Station View Post
                    What else am i going to do on the plane for 8 hours other than study.
                    wine, women, and song... all three can make a long flight go a lot more pleasantly. the trick for each one, respectively, is to...
                    1. try to bring along some of your own or take an Ambien if you're not really into flying and just want to be knocked out for the duration.

2. use restrooms where the main entrance is around a corner slightly and not visible to passengers, or time it so that you slip into the rear restroom when flight attendants are performing food-service duties.

3. get comfy headphones that you don't mind wearing for extended periods. while many folk like the compact-ness of in-ear buds, for flights it's hard to top a set of noise-canceling cans such as those made by Bose or crazy audiophile ones by Shure or Sennheiser. (note... while googling to make sure i spelled things correctly, i came across this pretty great review site)
                    so there you go... three things to occupy you on a flight that are much more fun than studying. heh, but if you just have to take the Ham exam, well... you can get your sex and drugs and rock n' roll at the con itself, i suppose.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

I need to upgrade to General. Problem is, this is my first DC, so i'm not sure i'll still be coherent by then.

+1 for interest though - I'd love the get the ticket and I might even put an HF rig in the car just in case. Would be fun for the 9 hour drive home.

Comment

Count me in I need to have an excuse to go upgrade to General.

Comment

Note that sharing your real name, address, etc with strangers at defcon may not be the brightest idea.

You also go into the FCC database, which has all that info easily searchable by anyone (see qrz.com)

Kallahar
                          --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
                            Note that sharing your real name, address, etc with strangers at defcon may not be the brightest idea.

You also go into the FCC database, which has all that info easily searchable by anyone (see qrz.com)

Kallahar
                            Just to clarify: all of the information given to us (the test examiners) is handled in a confidential manner.

Nothing we can do about the FCC, but people should have no reason to be worried at our end.
                            "*x74*x68*x65*x70*x72*x65*x7a*x39*x38";

Comment

I'm in JonM - let me know the details

Comment

Working...
                              X