X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting on Thursday....

Originally posted by noid View Post
    Um..ya..the Monkey Butler thing..

They have nothing to do with the conference in any sort of official capacity. Let's not do anything to encourage the belief that they do. Overall, I'm pretty irritated with the Monkey Butler thing. The MB thing was a creation of some of our more overzealous forum members and should probably be abandoned. They're attendees in blue shirts and nothing more.
    I can understand the goon frustration with monkey butlers. It could be very easy for people to not realize the volunteer basis without having read the threads before con. Next year there should be a big fat "DC101 VOLUNTEER" on the back of the shirts to make it perfectly clear.

Originally posted by TheCotMan;
    I really do think the concept is sound, and could solve the problem of telling people every year that want to volunteer, where to go, and tell people that need help for 15 minutes or 30 minutes with setting up their village, or party, or whatever else peripheral events to Defcon might use help.

I can think of many such ideas on where it *could* be used, but only wonder if it actually would be used.
    I think this would be used quite heavily if it were implemented. Every year there are a number of people that go around and help carry stuff/volunteer in general anyway. Hell, I've been Siviak's bitch for going on five years.

The biggest issue would be making sure that everyone concretely knows they aren't staff, they have no authority, and for better or worse are just willing bitches for the good of con!
    The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia View Post
      I can understand the goon frustration with monkey butlers. It could be very easy for people to not realize the volunteer basis without having read the threads before con. Next year there should be a big fat "DC101 VOLUNTEER" on the back of the shirts to make it perfectly clear.

I think this would be used quite heavily if it were implemented. Every year there are a number of people that go around and help carry stuff/volunteer in general anyway. Hell, I've been Siviak's bitch for going on five years.

The biggest issue would be making sure that everyone concretely knows they aren't staff, they have no authority, and for better or worse are just willing bitches for the good of con!
      It shouldn't be too hard to get Neil to put something explaining what the Monkey Butlers are and what they aren't in the program.
      Let's remember to discuss this next year a couple of months before the Con and I'll help you guys get a write up about the MBs into the program.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

On a side note. If you guys don't start voting no I am going to have to DIEBOLD that vote and fix it. So, since in the end, no will win, why not jump on a winning team now and vote no. Vote early, vote often.

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
          Um..ya..the Monkey Butler thing..

They have nothing to do with the conference in any sort of official capacity. Let's not do anything to encourage the belief that they do. Overall, I'm pretty irritated with the Monkey Butler thing. The MB thing was a creation of some of our more overzealous forum members and should probably be abandoned. They're attendees in blue shirts and nothing more.
          You are just jealous that we had cooler shirts Though the Black Hat goon shirts were really nice; even though they looked itchy to wear.

xor
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
            Though the Black Hat goon shirts were really nice; even though they looked itchy to wear.
            Were they the same general make as prior years? I consider myself hefty and I can do laps in the desert in those things without breaking a sweat. .. plus they look frickin awesome.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

You may do that if you are making the t-shirts. I believe that "Monkey Butler" is clear enough that one is a volunteer. YMMV.

I would suspect that if people are properly vetted they WON'T get all uppity and think they are staff, have any authority, and are just willing monkey butlers helping out. Again, YMMV.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Whatever you decide to put on them, I would happily volunteer to design you some bangin' t-shirts for the MBs.

Comment

Being that this was my first year at Defcon, I'm not sure my opinion is completely justified, but that said I think starting on Thursday worked just fine. Everything was clearly labeled "pre-con" and those of us who were able to get through the registration lines and snag a badge (eventually) were very happy about it. DC101 was a great intro, but mostly the extra day afforded more time to meet and greet before the hustle and bustle began the following day. Although I didn't catch names, I vaguely remember meeting a few black badge holders down in the lobby of the Riv as early as Wednesday night. For a newbie trying to navigate the physical and social terrain it certainly helped put me at ease. I knew where everything was before the crowds filtered in, and I'd already met people to hang out with for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by abyssknight View Post
                    Being that this was my first year at Defcon, I'm not sure my opinion is completely justified, but that said I think starting on Thursday worked just fine. Everything was clearly labeled "pre-con" and those of us who were able to get through the registration lines and snag a badge (eventually) were very happy about it. DC101 was a great intro, but mostly the extra day afforded more time to meet and greet before the hustle and bustle began the following day. Although I didn't catch names, I vaguely remember meeting a few black badge holders down in the lobby of the Riv as early as Wednesday night. For a newbie trying to navigate the physical and social terrain it certainly helped put me at ease. I knew where everything was before the crowds filtered in, and I'd already met people to hang out with for the weekend.
                    This isn't directed specifically at you....

Ok...you guys do understand that we have done registration on Thursday for at least 10 years, right? As a general rule registration has always opened Thursday at noon. This year we opened it at 8 I think. The problem is that up until this year the ONLY official thing going on on Thursday was registration. Everything else was unofficial. Some staff had to be there for setup, but for the most part, the guys that have to do the absolute most walking (security goons) didn't have to be there to work on Thursday. Now they do. If people are voting yes because of registration, rest assured that reg will always be on Thursday.

I won't state my case anymore because obviously my pleas are falling on deaf ears, but basically the only difference between Thursday DEF CON and Friday DEF CON to attendees is the few extra talks that were scheduled this year.

Comment

I did attend the talks that day, and some were better than others, but it was a good precursor to the actual con. The "Con Kung-Fu: Defending Yourself @ DEFCON" talk was invaluable in respect to connecting to the network and being alert. The other talk I attended that evening was "Effective Information Security Career Planning", which seemed at face value to be a great idea for a talk, but in retrospect myself and crew ended up bailing early to hit the food court.

That said, I completely understand the staffing issues. The MBs did a great job cat herding that night, but I can see how making Thursday an official con day would require some goon labor. I think keeping Thursday low-key, "unofficial official" pre-conference content would be the best option. If the volunteers are there, cool, if not then we can wait til Friday.

And as a side note, everyone I met this first year at Defcon both on and off the forums have been more than hospitable. Thank you all for that. Seriously.

Comment

I feel that thursday should also be kept short and easy maybe pre-reg and TBBQ, etc. There is enough that goes on in the 3 days to stay busy. I was kinda upset with some of the speakers. Also since defcon comes as part of black-hat it would be nice to be able to get your defcon badge at blackhat and not have to worry about going back and forth on thursday to actually get a badge. So I am with the majority and say NO for thursday.

keep thursday a simple day pre-reg, etc. and social networking.

Comment

I loved Dr. K's 3 hour talk on thrusday. That kind of talk is not possible during DEFCON. It was very informative, not rushed and I learned a lot. So as it was this year, DEFCON 18 can start at 1300 on Thurs for talks that really don't fit the 55 min format for the con. I think DC 101 needs to continue as well as DC welcomes new people every year. I think DT said DC 18 will be JUL 29 thru AUG 1 next year so looks like to me Thursday is a done deal. If the Badge thing is sorted out this year whats the difference, attend on Thursday if you want or come in Friday Morning. As for BH and DC crossovers.... keep them seperate and you BH folks can just wait in line with the rest of us DC people.

This was my 4th DC and every year it gets better not becuase of the talks and parties but becuase every year I get more involved with what is going on. So my final advice is to pick your talks wisely and spend the rest of your time in a contest, village or something like that making friends and really seeing what makes DC special.

Comment

I vote no. The overlap with BH was not a good thing. The overworking of the Goon staff was not a good thing.

Personally, I go to DC early on WED or THU to hang out with my friends that work staff before they have to work. Many of them I only get to see one time a year and it is at DC. I appreciate the opportunity to chat and drink and sit around with them before they are too busy and eventually too exhausted.

Noobs who want to learn from old timers can do this just as effectively by just sitting around with us and listening, it doesn't require an official talk that no matter what anybody says will require official staff. Someone has to take the responsibility for a gathering in a convention area owned by a hotel and that someone is con staff. Don't get me wrong, Val, it was a good idea but it can be done much less complicated I think.

Let the staff take a breather people, you will get better results in the long run.
                            "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
                              I vote no. The overlap with BH was not a good thing. The overworking of the Goon staff was not a good thing.

Personally, I go to DC early on WED or THU to hang out with my friends that work staff before they have to work. Many of them I only get to see one time a year and it is at DC. I appreciate the opportunity to chat and drink and sit around with them before they are too busy and eventually too exhausted.

Noobs who want to learn from old timers can do this just as effectively by just sitting around with us and listening, it doesn't require an official talk that no matter what anybody says will require official staff. Someone has to take the responsibility for a gathering in a convention area owned by a hotel and that someone is con staff. Don't get me wrong, Val, it was a good idea but it can be done much less complicated I think.

Let the staff take a breather people, you will get better results in the long run.
                              DC101 was never intended to be a tactical teaching session. DC101 was merely to let noobs know what is available to do at DefCon. The original conception was more of an ad-hoc gathering than anything official.

All the other stuff that went off on Thursday I believe was the idea of other people. I value the Security Goons too much for them to have to work harder than they already do. So, I don't misunderstand you Eris, I completely agree with you. However, I still contend that something for the noobs is valuable. Exactly how that should be approached, I don't know.

Thanks for your comments. I truly appreciate them. I hope the organizers and planners hear you as well.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

No, is my answer. The four days made for extra work, grumpy goons in the last standing hours, and attendees too tired to make it through Sunday.

Plus as Chris stated, those of you who keep saying stuff about getting badges early, this is not a new thing. Getting your badge on Thursday wouldn't change, however I'm sure the time would go back to it's normal noon time frame if we stuck with our normal three day event.
                                "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Working...
                                X