DEFCON Filler Torrent is up and updated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON Filler Torrent is up and updated

Big thanks to Russ for acting as a go-between to see that the DC Filler content made it to the CTF organizers. i only breezed through that room a few times this year very quickly, but to those who were in there, were clips being played on the walls?

I'll have to poke around and inquire who runs the DEFCON TV channel nowadays, as it seems that there were only about three or four clips present there (or the randomization algorithm was being wonky) since we would turn that on in the morning as we set up the skybox each day... and, boy, did we wind up hearing a lot of japanese people saying "niggah" over and over and over.

If you were near the front of the room during the closing ceremonies, you may have grabbed one of the DVDs i was tossing out. those are a "best of the Filler" collection, naturally limited to just 4 GB. they have the proper directory structure, however, so feel free to help seed this torrent if you got a disc from me there.

The rest of you, whomever is interested, go ahead and start your engines... the full archive is now about 12 GB and some change. i'll leave my machine on while i'm away at PlumberCon and HAR so my bandwidth won't be really in use for many other purposes. (Except of course for Daisy's interneting... so be gentile from time to time so she can at least get her mail, etc)

DEFCON Filler Archive - torrent download
    (link is up, seed is running... crypto required on your client)

Changes this year include some files actually being removed for the first time in a long time. The roster of items on the cut list...
    DoneBestDone - Kid Farm.avi - i've just never found this one funny, and it's too long
    Dwutang.avi - maybe this is a clip from an amazing film, but i've never laughed at this
    Jelly Doughnut Freestyle.avi - lot of build up and no money shot
    Laughing Yogi.avi - meh. extreme meh.
    Pirates and Emperors.avi - i agree with the theme, but it's too political for public content at con
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; 08-06-2009, 12:35 AM.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: DEFCON Filler Torrent is up and updated

Thanks, Deviant. I'll be sure to seed this on a few machines as soon as I get it to 100%.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

thanks for the up Dixie errrm i mean Deviant Ollam ;)

Comment

looks like throughout the day I've been uploading at a huge level, hopefully it will keep for some time and continue when I transfer the load to another box. Let's get this thing going.
        "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          Big thanks to Russ for acting as a go-between to see that the DC Filler content made it to the CTF organizers. i only breezed through that room a few times this year very quickly, but to those who were in there, were clips being played on the walls?

I'll have to poke around and inquire who runs the DEFCON TV channel nowadays, as it seems that there were only about three or four clips present there (or the randomization algorithm was being wonky) since we would turn that on in the morning as we set up the skybox each day... and, boy, did we wind up hearing a lot of japanese people saying "niggah" over and over and over.
          8< snip

The "nay ga" is the Chinese "thinking sound". Depending on the region and speed of the person saying it, it's slightly different. The Japanese say Ano, It's like Americans saying uh ,um or err. And they do say it all the time. What else is interesting is how the Japanese will stretch the o sound out until they complete their thought.

Comment

I haven't seen the filler yet, but they might be referring to this video.

Is this the torrent that can be downloaded on top of the DC16 filler?
            It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
              I haven't seen the filler yet, but they might be referring to this video.
              yes, that's it.

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
              Is this the torrent that can be downloaded on top of the DC16 filler?
              yes, this torrent can be pointed at any existing download of filler and it will populate up the bulk of it.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

I will seed this for at least a couple months as soon as its done downloading. Thanks homie!
                The dude abides.

Comment

Rant/Question/Request for help:

What encoding is the torrent in? I'm trying to download/seed in linux (using ktorrent) onto an external HDD (ntfs formatted). It whines and complains at me about the six files with international characters. I mounted my HDD using utf-8 (which I think is the only option when using ntfs-3g in linux). The torrent file, however, appears to be encoded in something else (ISO-8859-1, I would guess).

for example, the character "ë" in Citroën.avi (I apologize if those don't show up right) is saved with the bytes "0xC3AB" in my existing download directory, but the torrent file has "0xEB" for that character.

Some sites (example) claim torrents are supposed to be UTF8 only, but I can't find anything official on the matter.

So, anyway, the net result of the thing is that I just deselected those files in the torrent, and it let me continue. It's no problem for me, personally, because I already have the files, but I think it means I won't be seeding them either. That shouldn't be a huge deal, right?
                  Also, is there a way to get the thing to work? I don't know that much about how bittorent works; if I manually change the encoding in the torrent file, would that fix it or confuse it?
                  Last edited by YenTheFirst; 08-08-2009, 09:09 PM. Reason: more encoding fun
                  It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Anybody willing to seed this? Looks dead right now. Alternatively, are there any direct download sites?

Comment

Originally posted by psifertex View Post
                      Anybody willing to seed this? Looks dead right now. Alternatively, are there any direct download sites?
                      i've been meaning to re-build the torrent yet again with even a few more new items and start re-seeding... but can anyone suggest a better public tracker to use when making a torrent file? TPB is the old standby but it seems to have uptime issues (or it's just way too over-taxed)
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Any chance that will be up soon? Sorry to pester, but I'm heading to a Chinese con (Excalibur) and was hoping to bring the defcon filler to spice up the mini CTF I'm running there.

If anybody can put the filler online where I can snag it, I'd really appreciate it. "Free beer at next year's defcon" appreciate it. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by psifertex View Post
                          If anybody can put the filler online where I can snag it, I'd really appreciate it. "Free beer at next year's defcon" appreciate it. ;-)
                          i'm working on getting a new version up and running... i'm doing it remotely because i'm in Maryland for halloween happenings this weekend.

i've opted to use OpenBitTorrent's tracker so hopefully that will be more stable than TPB is lately.

this isn't the sort of thing one can just "put online" like a zip file with a couple NES ROMs... the DC Filler is over 12 GB in size now. i hope to have it up soon.
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

I realize there's more to it than just dripping it on rapidshare... Creating big torrents can be a real pain. Again, I really do appreciate it. I'll do my part by leaving a server seeding indefinitely.

Comment

so here we are... a "halloween release" of the filler...

... if you've got the files from before, feel free to seed. directory structure still intact from previous archives. i'll have my own seed up and running once it re-checks all the CRCs.
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X