Ride Share

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Share

I am wondering if anyone would have space for myself, my guncase, and my ammo/targets in a vehicle. If so I can cancle my rental and perhaps offer money to help pay for yours.

Gun Case dimmentions are 42"Lx13.5"Wx5.25"H
    Ammo will be 100 Rounds of 12GA and 1000 rounds of .22
    Targets should be small enough to roll up approx 40 targets.

At the moment I have a 4 door pickup reserved but do to the overwhelming number of people who spoke up as having extra room, i felt it would be a waste to spend so much on getting another rental car if someone would be kind enough to offer space in their ride.

Feel Free to post any other ride share comments below such as I need a ride or I have a ride.
    Originally posted by Ellen
    Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Re: Ride Share

just by my own quick estimate, we've got four or five people who are (or were) seeking rides to the Shoot site. we also have like a dozen people who have space in their vehicles.

so, bottom line... if anyone out there needs a ride to the shoot and can't get their act together by the end of the month, you will be made fun of and shown little sympathy on the morning the Shoot takes place.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

The HackBus will be arriving very early Thursday at the Rivera, then leaving to the shoot. There will be plenty of cargo space for whatever you have, and yourself.

checkout hackbus.net or hackb.us for more info, email 'evil mofo' or 'fpenguin' for more info

Comment

Originally posted by kajer View Post
        The HackBus will be arriving very early Thursday at the Rivera, then leaving to the shoot. There will be plenty of cargo space for whatever you have, and yourself.

checkout hackbus.net or hackb.us for more info, email 'evil mofo' or 'fpenguin' for more info
        I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the road to the shoot is going to be compatible with the hack bus. My rental car bottomed out several times. Also, turning around could prove to be very interesting.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

The road is that bad? Good to know, I was going to navigate it with a Toyota camry but it sounds like a 4WD SUV may be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
            The road is that bad? Good to know, I was going to navigate it with a Toyota camry but it sounds like a 4WD SUV may be a better option.
            It's not bad for a car or SUV, but a bus is so long it might have trouble with the dips in the road. Camry should be fine.

xor
            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Fpenguin just said "I can handle it"

as for turning around, we are very good about maneuvering the bus in tight places so I do not worry about that

Comment

Always up for a challenge

Comment

I drove a minivan to it last year and had no problem with bottoming-out. Also, if the hackbus arrives early/first, before any tables are setup and any firing line is setup, there would be enough room to turn around in the space where cars park and position the bus to be pointed in the right direction when people go to leave. How much space you will have to turn around will depend on how, when and where people park their cars when the bus arrives.

Google Maps for the site used last year

Consider the road is a dirt road, about 1.5 x width of a freeway lane. Technically, you could get two cars passing each other if both cars drive on what passes for a shoulder. Use that width as a scale to estimate the turning space you will need inside the space where the cars park.

Here is what I sort-of remember from how the space was used during Defcon 17:

The black paint is roughly what I remember of where cars were parked. The Red lines show where some tables were setup under a tent/cover provided by Merlin (?) IIRC, who also arrived first at the site to reserve it last year. (Not totally sure about that. Merlin or Deviant Ollam will hopefully correct me if this is not accurate.) The Yellow paint shows roughly where the people lined up to fire weapons, firing them west from that line. As you can see, without cars parked there, and people walking around, and the range/area-to-fire (with tables) setup, there is plenty of room to turn around. Once things get setup, there is greater restriction to turning, but a multi-point turn-around should still be possible if your driver is skilled. It might even make more sense to advance the bus beyond the entrance, and then back in, to have the bus forward-facing directly east. No idea how bad rain would make that road. Some of the dirt in Las Vegas is like a light clay that becomes a trap for cars. The dirt near the Las Vegas Shooting Park was like this. My rental would have become stuck in that if we drove into it. The road is dirt the last half (or so) leading to the site that was used last year. Maybe a local person can describe how bad this dirt road would be if it rained.
                  Last edited by TheCotMan; 07-05-2010, 01:43 PM.
                  tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

If the bus gets stuck it becomes a legitimate target. :>

Comment

we'll do our best to get there early, backing in wont be a problem and seems like the best plan of action.

Comment

echoing others' comments... the road in may have some ups and downs, but it's paved and whatnot. the actual shoot site is a gravel/dirt lot but Vegas isn't known for lots of muddy conditions or anything, heh... i think you'll be able to negotiate it well enough, particularly with all the experience FPenguin has behind the wheel.

in fact, you can get a pretty good idea of the conditions from the video and photos that appear in last year's montage video. there's even some footage of the road on the way in at the very beginning.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                          echoing others' comments... the road in may have some ups and downs, but it's paved and whatnot.
                          I thought it started out paved, but the last half was gravel and dirt. Was it paved the entire way to the site?
                          tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                            If the bus gets stuck it becomes a legitimate target. :>
                            Either that or a semi-permanent immigrant home.

xor

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                              Either that or a semi-permanent immigrant home.

xor
                              I haven't been a transient in Vegas yet, could be fun to stick around with the local culture for a while.
                              Originally posted by Ellen
                              Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X