Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QueerCon is on!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • QueerCon is on!

    Hi All - QueerCon is officially ready to rock!

    Since we had a lot of people hanging out at the mixer last year, we're doing that both Friday and Saturday afternoon @ 4PM in the DJ Chillout area (last word was 101/102 again). Look for a group (usually been near the bar) with people wearing rainbow stickers on their badges.

    Then the main event will be Friday night @ 10PM in the skyboxes. We have awesome DJs lined up, glowsticks, and hopefully a staffed bar! Come ready to party and look forward to seeing everyone there!

  • #2
    Re: QueerCon is on!

    Fantastic! QueerCon is one of my favorite things at the conference. <3

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: QueerCon is on!

      I love it too, Neon. So many people do. Isn't it funny how long it took for a "coming out" of hackers at the hacker con!
      "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: QueerCon is on!

        Originally posted by eris View Post
        I love it too, Neon. So many people do. Isn't it funny how long it took for a "coming out" of hackers at the hacker con!
        Sadly, I must admit that I am not surprised that it ended up taking this long. It has been my experience through the years that a certain vocal percentage of the DEFCON scene can be both homophobic and misogynist. :(

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: QueerCon is on!

          Originally posted by thebrink View Post
          Hi All - QueerCon is officially ready to rock!

          Since we had a lot of people hanging out at the mixer last year, we're doing that both Friday and Saturday afternoon @ 4PM in the DJ Chillout area (last word was 101/102 again). Look for a group (usually been near the bar) with people wearing rainbow stickers on their badges.

          Then the main event will be Friday night @ 10PM in the skyboxes. We have awesome DJs lined up, glowsticks, and hopefully a staffed bar! Come ready to party and look forward to seeing everyone there!
          Yeah previously not been kinda worried bout attending due to closet issues but this year, Pssh let the fun begin!! So hopefully won't find a meat market since I'm what some would consider an older dude, but hoping to find lots of fun people without hangups that are just willing to enjoy the 'be yourself' aspect.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: QueerCon is on!

            Originally posted by Ne0nRa1n View Post
            Sadly, I must admit that I am not surprised that it ended up taking this long. It has been my experience through the years that a certain vocal percentage of the DEFCON scene can be both homophobic and misogynist. :(
            I gotta totally disagree, I'd say that "vocal percentage" is much much less than a percent. DefCon is one of the most gay friendly places next to a pride parade.

            As for being misogynistic... Well.. There are plenty of non-homophobic people who are misogynist, so those are two entire separate issues.. :shrugs:

            The "coming out" was at DC12 when we turned the pool two hot tub into a gay semi-orgy.
            And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: QueerCon is on!

              Yeah, I gotta agree with HighWiz. We've been doing this for 7 years now and the positive reception has always surprised me. In fact, I gotta thank the goons who have always kept an extra eye out for us (thanks guys!). The event has been less about "coming out" and more about simple social networking with others who also happen to be gay. I've met some great people the past few years.

              Once again it's great to hear people are looking forward to the event and others will be returning.

              ... and one more thing. It sounds like we may have been moved to a different skybox than what is listed in the program. It will be in the same hall as before, so we'll make up a sign or hang up the flag on the door or something.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: QueerCon is on!

                Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                I gotta totally disagree, I'd say that "vocal percentage" is much much less than a percent. DefCon is one of the most gay friendly places next to a pride parade.

                As for being misogynistic... Well.. There are plenty of non-homophobic people who are misogynist, so those are two entire separate issues.. :shrugs:

                The "coming out" was at DC12 when we turned the pool two hot tub into a gay semi-orgy.
                HighWiz: You are more than welcome to disagree, but I didn't say it was a large vocal percentage, I just said there was a vocal percentage and therefore that is why I made the statement that I am not surprised that it took so long as it would cause pressure to in the past conform. I never meant to make it seem that I didn't think DEFCON was gay friendly in it present day form.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: QueerCon is on!

                  Originally posted by thebrink View Post
                  ... and one more thing. It sounds like we may have been moved to a different skybox than what is listed in the program. It will be in the same hall as before, so we'll make up a sign or hang up the flag on the door or something.
                  Yeah, as far as I understand it, QC is in HHV at night. and is listed so in the program. It used to be in LPV, but not this year.
                  "Haters, gonna hate"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: QueerCon is on!

                    Originally posted by thebrink View Post
                    Hi All - QueerCon is officially ready to rock!

                    Since we had a lot of people hanging out at the mixer last year, we're doing that both Friday and Saturday afternoon @ 4PM in the DJ Chillout area (last word was 101/102 again). Look for a group (usually been near the bar) with people wearing rainbow stickers on their badges.

                    Then the main event will be Friday night @ 10PM in the skyboxes. We have awesome DJs lined up, glowsticks, and hopefully a staffed bar! Come ready to party and look forward to seeing everyone there!
                    Yeah let's keep posted on this thread once someone actually finds out where it is. I saw a post that the 'program' location was wrong and it was going to be where it 'used to be' instead. Used to be doesn't help guys like me where this is the first one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: QueerCon is on!

                      Originally posted by matrixmp View Post
                      I saw a post that the 'program' location was wrong and it was going to be where it 'used to be' instead.
                      Where did you see the post?
                      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: QueerCon is on!

                        Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                        Where did you see the post?
                        The post yesterday at 9:04pm by the brink. About 5 posts above this one. Post #7
                        Last edited by matrixmp; 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: QueerCon is on!

                          Originally posted by matrixmp View Post
                          The post yesterday at 9:04pm by the brink. About 5 posts above this one. Post #7
                          That post doesn't say that all. That post says someone else said it was moved.

                          I double checked with Hotel Coordination it has and will be in the Hardware Hacking Skybox in the PM. There was previous confusion because the Lock Pick Village was unaware that the party was not going in their room. ( The old room) But, I corrected them.

                          For several months now the location is the HHV at night, and is pretty much the exact same room set up as LPV had, so I don't know WHY it would've changed back.

                          ( For those of you who are new the HHV is in 209/210. Here's a map: http://defcon.org/images/defcon-18/dc-18-map.jpg Once you've been in the skybox area, you will understand how trivial this is and impossible to not find a party up there)

                          But like a previous poster stated its not a big deal, you can fly your flag like usual. If the QC is moved by ONE FREAKING ROOM, oh well boo boo, it's one door over. Nobody in the world will even notice or be aware they are off by one. It's kinda hard to miss! No circle jerk with naked stripper bitches with 0% body fat and covered in sweat, fluids, and various Bukkake, If you see that...You're looking in on Hacker Pimps party.

                          But, I did double check...and it's in the HHV at night, the program is right. :-)
                          Last edited by Nikita; 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM. Reason: Updated to confirm details.
                          "Haters, gonna hate"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: QueerCon is on!

                            Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                            That post doesn't say that all. That post says someone else said it was moved.

                            I double checked with Hotel Coordination it has and will be in the Hardware Hacking Skybox in the PM. There was previous confusion because the Lock Pick Village was unaware that the party was not going in their room. ( The old room) But, I corrected them.

                            For several months now the location is the HHV at night, and is pretty much the exact same room set up as LPV had, so I don't know WHY it would've changed back.

                            ( For those of you who are new the HHV is in 209/210. Here's a map: http://defcon.org/images/defcon-18/dc-18-map.jpg Once you've been in the skybox area, you will understand how trivial this is and impossible to not find a party up there)

                            But like a previous poster stated its not a big deal, you can fly your flag like usual. If the QC is moved by ONE FREAKING ROOM, oh well boo boo, it's one door over. Nobody in the world will even notice or be aware they are off by one. It's kinda hard to miss! No circle jerk with naked stripper bitches with 0% body fat and covered in sweat, fluids, and various Bukkake, If you see that...You're looking in on Hacker Pimps party.

                            But, I did double check...and it's in the HHV at night, the program is right. :-)
                            LOL thanks for clearing it up for me Nikita. Like I said will be my first time at the party. Just trying to make sure I have the good info.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: QueerCon is on!

                              Less than 24 hours to go! Can't wait! I always have a blast at the Queercon party!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X