Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON 18 Badge Call-for-Integration

Hi everyone-

With the electronic DEFCON badge now in its fifth incarnation, we've decided to try something different. We're opening our kimono (just slightly) for DEFCON attendees, groups, villages, or contest organizers who want to integrate some piece of information or hide some piece of data in the badge to help further their cause during the con. For example, maybe your contest wants to hide a clue on the badge and then contestants have to find it in the code or press a certain button to reveal it.

If you are interested in participating, contact badge@defcon.org and provide a basic description of what you'd like to do and why. Only submissions sent via e-mail will be read (even though we're posting this on the forums and hope it leads to discussions, it's too hard to keep track of without a single submission point). While we won't be able to grant everyone's wishes, we will consider all of them (hint: simpler is better).

To give you an idea of badge capabilities - we have the Freescale MC56F8006 microcontroller (the same part used in last year's design), a user interface of some sort, a few buttons, and some LEDs. Time is of the essence and we will move quickly to make selections over the next few weeks. We'll respond to the e-mails we feel will be possible to do within our badge constraints (time, effort required, etc.) and, if necessary, will provide more badge details and capabilities to those selected at that time. All submissions are due by April 1 and we will make selections by April 5.

We thought it would be neat to try and open up the badge a bit to be a nexus for various bits and pieces of data - we have no idea how this will turn out and neither will you until DEFCON 18 is upon us.

We won't be announcing what secrets have been added to the badge until Kingpin's talk at Closing Ceremonies, but hope you'll discover many of them on your own during the weekend!

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

Kingpin, DT, and Black Beetle
    Last edited by Kingpin; 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add deadline.

Re: DEFCON 18 Badge Call-for-Integration

You mean the badges weren't done by christmas?

How about opening up the component list, so that we can design our own things to integrate? Our own firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by bluerules View Post
      You mean the badges weren't done by christmas?
      Nope! :P

How about opening up the component list, so that we can design our own things to integrate? Our own firmware?
      Our intent isn't to release all the badge information now, it's to allow other people to integrate bits and pieces of data that might be used for other DEFCON events. As in previous years, the schematics, source code, etc. will all be released on Thursday when DEFCON registration opens.

As for modifying the firmware and integrating your own stuff, that's what the Badge Hacking Contest is for and I look forward to your entry!

Joe

Comment

There are only two more days (due by Apri 1) to submit your ideas!

This is your chance to have the badge contain something that *you* want instead of having us just spoon-feed stuff to you. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Joe

Comment

a Prox Card cloner. heh, that wouldn't drive the price up too much, would it?
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            a Prox Card cloner. heh, that wouldn't drive the price up too much, would it?
            Yea.... wasn't there a little glitch with a cloner patent a few years back and a talk not happening?

... but what about mag-stripe reader? LOL

What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

How about having the badges randomly associate with another badge when it detects one nearby. Have it blink a sequence to indicate that it's associated. Could be a good way for strangers to meet up.

Or have them create some sort of mesh network.
              A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

...and the Call-for-Integration is now closed. Thanks for playing! We got some great submissions and hope you enjoy finding all the surprises during DC18.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                X