Register for Crash and Compile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register for Crash and Compile

Starting a new thread to give it more visibility when scanning topics. I'll update this post with the current roster as people register.

If you're interested in playing in Crash and Compile, now is the time to register! We're only taking 8 competing teams this year, plus Team Control Group (see below), and Team Distraction (also see below.)

Current team list:
    1. Psychoholics Return! If "winning" is measured in how drunk you are at the end of the night, the Psychoholics won CnC2010 hands down. They had the d20 Of Languages last year, what are they bringing this year? You'll have to come and see!
    2. Frink Rules!
    3. Cuban Raft Riders
    4. Fuck PBR
    5. Team Carabas
    6. SnitchesGetStitches
    7. Supernatural Feat
    8. Unixed
    9. Team Control Group: Blue Falcon
    10. Distraction: Krissy33,Purple Girl, Persef and possibly one more, but I'm waiting on more details

Registration: If you want to play, DM me with the following information:

1: Team name
    2: Contestants' names or handles
    3: Contestants' email address. (Don't worry, I won't use it for anything not directly related to this year's game.)

When and Where: I don't know yet. I just turned in the RFI to Pyr0, but as soon as I find out, I'll update y'all.

How much: Again, I don't know. We're at a new hotel and I don't know the rules here yet. If it's anything like last year, it'll be $50 entrance fee, which includes 6 bottles of beer. Additional beer can be purchased at the event for $7/bottle.

To be clear: The $50 covers the beer, and a little bit more to (almost) cover my expenses. The $7/beer is a few cents shy of covering the beer. I'm not trying to make money on you, nor am I paying for you to get drunk. The beer costs will be as close to what I pay as is feasible.

Teams: Complete rules are on the website. There will be 8 competing (read: drinking) teams, plus one Team Control Group (a non-drinking team against which all the drinking teams are compared), and one Team Distraction (a non-programming team doing their best to, uhh, distract the programmers.)

If you've got any questions about the game, costs, or anything else, feel free to hit me up here, or in DM. I'm also available as @CrashAndCompile on Twitter, or hit me up personally as @SmittyHalibut.

I'm really looking forward to this year. Good luck! -Mark

UPDATED: 2011-05-25 10:46 PDT - Added Cuban Raft Riders
    UPDATED: 2011-05-25 17:40 PDF - Added Fuck PBR
    UPDATED: Added Team Carabas
    UPDATED: Added "Unixed"(solo)
    UPDATED: Added to Team Distraction: Purple Girl, and Persef. Possibly one more, but I'm waiting on more details.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM.

Re: Register for Crash and Compile

Fuck yeah psychoholics!!!!

(sorry, I felt that was necessary. I promise to be less obnoxious this year as the official cheering section for team psychoholics.)

Comment

So you're selling alcohol on hotel property without a permit again? It doesn't sound like the Rio would look too favorably on that...

-Medic

Comment

Originally posted by Medic View Post
        So you're selling alcohol on hotel property without a permit again? It doesn't sound like the Rio would look too favorably on that...

-Medic
        We did everything legally last year. We bought from the Riv (hence a $7 beer). And the plan is to do the same thing this year. I'm not sure where you got the idea that we sold booze without a permit last year, or if you're just being a troll on purpose. ;-)

If you are serious, Pyr0 can vouch for the legitimacy of last year, and my intent for legitimacy this year.

-Mark

Comment

20 posts in 10 years doesn't necessarily make me a troll. This whole thing just sounds fishy.

How about something like "Contestants are responsible for providing their own alcoholic beverages and are responsible for complying with all local laws and regulations?" This eliminates money from changing hands, you being the middle man and potentially keeps you on the right side of Nevada ABC. As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), there is nothing preventing an attendee from walking across the street, buying a beer and walking back into the conference space with it.

--Medic

Comment

20 posts in 10 years doesn't necessarily make me a troll. This whole thing just sounds fishy.
            --Medic
            Haha, Medic... That 'tard called you a troll..

But Smitty gave me an Idea... I'm really considering charging for DefCon 101 this year so that I get back any money I put into it.. (T-Shirts, Giveaways, etc..). Now I just have to get all the other contests and events on board with the event!
            And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Hence the smily. I wasn't ACTUALLY calling you a troll. Don't worry.

How about something like "Contestants are responsible for providing their own alcoholic beverages and are responsible for complying with all local laws and regulations?" This eliminates money from changing hands, you being the middle man and potentially keeps you on the right side of Nevada ABC. As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), there is nothing preventing an attendee from walking across the street, buying a beer and walking back into the conference space with it.

--Medic
              I would very much like to allow people to bring their own booze, but the hotel won't allow it. Well, The Riviera didn't allow it, and I'm currently working on the assumption that the Rio will have similar rules. This is being verified, of course, and if we are allowed to bring our own booze, that is precisely what we'll do. I'll provide for those who don't want the hassle, and I'll let y'all bring your own if you'd prefer. But last year, that was not an option.

Whether this is a legal requirement, or a The Hotel Needs To Make Their Money requirement, I don't know but it's a distinction without a difference; if we tried to bring our own booze in, they would have shut us down and kicked us out. I'm just trying to play by their rules.

I'll keep y'all posted on the results of the conversation between me, Pyr0, and the Rio.

Comment

Dad is that you? I understand rules need to be obeyed, but the 'whistle blowing' just doesn't seem like the DefCon spirit. When did DefCon become so serious?

Comment

where is there whistle blowing?

charging for contests or events at con is kinda lame in my opinion. beer? provide your own, where you get it is your problem, if you get in trouble, your problem.

I don't know if it really comes down this way but if you're providing beer at a cost to contestants, you may be selling beer (illegally), are you checking id? Just tell them the need to show up with 6 bottles of beer.

as for covering the cost of contest and events, I would strongly suggest doing what you can to NOT spend anything and if you do, it's on you. Want to sell the shirts you've made, *I* don't see a problem, you may run afoul of vendors and vendor rules, that's not my dept but I'm guessing if you sell 10 shirts for 12 bucks each, nobody is going to complain, if you sell 200 shirts for 20 bucks each, you may have some goons standing over you.

People have a lot of stuff to come out-of-pocket for at con, in addition, they REALLY want to buy defcon swag, I suggest trying to do things that don't impact their wallets.

Comment

I can understand that for sure, personally I don't have a problem paying if it helps out the organizers of the contest. I'm so geeky I don't even care about the beer. If I couldn't afford 50 bucks for a contest, I probably wouldn't be flying to Vegas for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero_One View Post
                      Dad is that you? I understand rules need to be obeyed, but the 'whistle blowing' just doesn't seem like the DefCon spirit. When did DefCon become so serious?
                      When DefCon started getting invited back to the same hotel for more than one year.

Let me say this again: Last year, we were not _ALLOWED_ to bring our own beer. This is an official event. Official events need to play by the rules. Even UNOFFICIAL events need to play by the rules. If you don't believe me, ask Barkode about the Ninja Party in 2009. I don't want to make money on this event, but I also don't want to spend $1k to $1.5k for y'all to get drunk for an evening. Sorry, I'm just that kind of asshole.

If $50 is too much, I'm very sorry but there are plenty of other things to do at DefCon.

Also please note that we are discussing numbers from last year with a different hotel. I have no reason to believe they'll be different at the Rio, but they might be. Also, the RFI form mentioned that DefCon might be providing funding for contests; we might be able to get this covered. These are all details I'm still trying to work out. So let's save the freaking out until the details are ironed out.

Someone asked somewhere in this fray whether I'm checking ID. The answer is emphatically yes. No one is allowed on stage without proving their over 21 (legal drinking age in Nevada).

Comment

Very excited to be participating with Fuck PBR.

Just to be clear, is the $50 per person or per team? I imagine that it is per person?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          Just to be clear, is the $50 per person or per team? I imagine that it is per person?

Remember, the $50 is just an estimate at this point. I'm waiting for Pyr0 to get back to me to figure out the exact costs. It was $50 last year, and I expect it'll be pretty similar this year.

But whatever price it ends up being, it will be per-person. The $50 for last year was per-person.

Comment

I can't edit the top post to add this anymore (I've already DM'd TheCotMan), but I want to post that Team Carabas has joined in!

Anyone else? We still have 3 open spots! We're also looking for a Team Distraction and Team Control Group.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                              I can't edit the top post to add this anymore (I've already DM'd TheCotMan), but I want to post that Team Carabas has joined in!

Anyone else? We still have 3 open spots! We're also looking for a Team Distraction and Team Control Group.
                              I updated it for you.
                              The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
                              PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

Working...
                              X