Project 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 2

The Dirtbags, in conjuction with http://generalstatics.com, are pleased to bring you Project 2, a contest of adventure, danger, and low cunning. Bring your laptop, your radio, and your thinking cap, and work through an array of challenges spanning many areas of expertise, to achieve the rank of Ace #1 Hacker! Hope to see you there!

Re: Project 2

Originally posted by slackish View Post
    The Dirtbags, in conjuction with http://generalstatics.com, are pleased to bring you Project 2, a contest of adventure, danger, and low cunning. Bring your laptop, your radio, and your thinking cap, and work through an array of challenges spanning many areas of expertise, to achieve the rank of Ace #1 Hacker! Hope to see you there!
    Do you mean

http://generalstatistics.com/

or http://generalstatics.com (as you currently have it written?)
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
      Do you mean

http://generalstatistics.com/

or http://generalstatics.com (as you currently have it written?)
      It is http://generalstatics.com, as written.

Comment

Aw my spawn are so cute.

Good luck guys! :)

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
          Aw my spawn are so cute.

Good luck guys! :)
          They seem to lack your flair for the dramatics, though.
          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Sounds kinda like a Pirate adventure. Adventure! Danger! Cunning! Sharks! Yaaaarg!

Comment

When will the Assignment be given? Or did I get to the wrong place?
              Last edited by elegin; 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

You know you love it HighWiz :)

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                They seem to lack your flair for the dramatics, though.

Comment

If I were to guess, I would guess that your "job" at this point would be to visit the provided web page/site-link and examine the java script provided for clues. If you have ever done this with de-obfuscating javascript on malware and drive-by download sites, and you look at the javascript on the page, you have some idea what I am suggesting. There are online tools to help with de-obfuscation, and online presentations by people to describe techniques to help with this, including use of COTS or IDE tools, or online forms to submit content and format it in a way to make it easier to decode. One presentation/page suggests use of MSIE in a VM with a snapshot pre-set before beginning (for obvious reasons), and then enabling MSIE + debugging tools to step-through and eval decode with stepping the obfuscated javascript.

I am not part of this contest, but when people run contests like this, and the ONLY information yet provided is a website, and the website looks suspisciously like generic parking, link-scoring, and malware sites, that strongly suggests there are clues on that site, and anyone that can become intimately familiar with the content: what items are (normally meaningless in the de-obfuscation process (unused vars, unused functions, user-agent-based controls on content that is handed, etc.) may actually be clues in a defcon contest which provides no other clues. Consider the OpenCTF contest, and their tongue-in-cheek announcement on the forums and their website with clues on where to go next with their contest.

Heck, maybe these ideas are not at all what this contest is about, but if I was going to play, that is what I would do.

Again, I do not run this, am not part of this, and am not competing, and have no secret inside knowledge. Good luck!
                  tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

I was referencing past that, but I did find more and have more to work out.
                    Last edited by elegin; 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I wish any of us had ever done LoST@con; then we might have a better idea how to run things. Hopefully what we've come up with is fun and challenging to a broad swath of skill sets and levels.

If you figure something out, bring your solution to defcon, where it will become obvious what to do next.

PunkAB: You must not read many leaflets.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                        I wish any of us had ever done LoST@con; then we might have a better idea how to run things. Hopefully what we've come up with is fun and challenging to a broad swath of skill sets and levels.

If you figure something out, bring your solution to defcon, where it will become obvious what to do next.

PunkAB: You must not read many leaflets.
                        Leaflets? No. I don't believe I do. "From this habit should I now be broken?"

Comment

Originally posted by PunkAB View Post
                          Leaflets? No. I don't believe I do. "From this habit should I now be broken?"
                          Check the mailbox. It's on the west side of the house.

note: this is just an historical sidebar and at the time of writing has nothing to do with Project 2 outside of slackish's announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                            Check the mailbox. It's on the west side of the house.

note: this is just an historical sidebar and at the time of writing has nothing to do with Project 2 outside of slackish's announcement.
                            I would. But it's dark in here.

Comment

Originally posted by PunkAB View Post
                              I would. But it's dark in here.
                              Would you say it was pitch dark?

Comment

Working...
                              X