Thanks for DC101 at DC19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for DC101 at DC19

I just wanted to post a quick "Thank You" to all the people involved with DefCon 101.

I think overall it was a good time and a fun event.

We did learn a few lessons this year that will be carried forward to make 101 at DC20 an even more awesome event.

One of those being a small T-Shirt Cannon. To be honest, I was not expecting to fill the seats in Track 1 and have that huge a turnout.

I think I'll stop here, before I start rambling and have to "Blah Blah Blah" myself. But I did want to once again thank everyone who was involved (Those on stage and those attendees) for participating in DC101 this year.

Specific People to thank (in no particular order):

Lockheed, GM1, AlxRogan, Pyr0, Lost, Siviak, Roamer, Xodia, Ripshy, Medic, Eris, Vandal, Gayhackers.org, Neil, Nikita, TheSummit, Runnerup, The "Name that n00b" participants, and everyone who attended 101.

I hope you all liked your shirts.

And really, I hope you all enjoyed yourself (half) as much as I did.
    Last edited by HighWiz; 08-10-2011, 08:01 PM. Reason: added stuff
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Re: Thanks for DC101 at DC19

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    And really, I hope you all enjoyed yourself (half) as much as I did.
    Just so you know, from an attendees point of view, it was fun, educational and time very well spent. So... Thank you for doing it!

I am betting that next year's turnout at Defcon 20 will be even bigger and have more new Con goers in attendance so the importance and need of DC101 will be even greater.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbox View Post
      Just so you know, from an attendees point of view, it was fun, educational and time very well spent. So... Thank you for doing it!

I am betting that next year's turnout at Defcon 20 will be even bigger and have more new Con goers in attendance so the importance and need of DC101 will be even greater.
      Thanks for your kind words. I wish I had seen you and FS again before con was over. I had/have 101 T-shirts for both of you.
      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Here's my more detailed thank you.

Slowly my body is starting to return to "normal operating mode", hopefully my mental state will follow in short order.

I figured now would be a great time to do the quintessential "Thanks & Sorry's" for DefCon 101. I will update this list as time permits.

One of the things we did different at 101 this year was to roll intro slides while people were coming into the room, right up until the time the event kicked off. You can see the slides here: http://www.gayhackers.org/highwiz/slides.htm

First I really do have to thank everyone who participated in 101.

As far as the speakers go:
        Roamer, GM1, Lost, AlxRogan, Lockheed & Pyr0

I'm probably not the easiest person to deal with, both pre-con and on stage. I'm sure you all dread seeing my timelines and schedules. But you all did an excellent job in helping make it a fun and exciting event for all the n00bs.

Lost: You always do an awesome job on stage. I am (kinda) sorry that I "blah, blah, blah"'d you. I just knew we had a schedule and wanted us to keep moving forward. But the knowledge you imparted to the participants of the event was mindblowing.

Roamer: I understand your perspective on the notion of "Why do hackers need a 101". But I'm glad you came out [;)] to do it anyway. I hope you enjoyed doing it, as much as we enjoyed having you there. And I hope you're on board to do it again. I also got a laugh out of it, when you walked in and noticed that everyone else was wearing their shirt.

GM1: I give you a lot of credit. A certain person interupted the event right before GM1 was to speak and talked about most of the things that GM1 was going to talk about, but being the excellent person you are, you just rolled with it.

AlxRogan: I know you were uber-nervous. But no-one was able to tell. I'm really glad we had your perspective from a DefCon Goon who was also a Participant in many contest (MysteryChallenge, Wireless, CTF, etc..).

Pyr0: You never fail to disappointed in your answers to questions as well as the information you put forth. Always lively and energetic. You also did an awesome job of handling that one guy when he ask why I was such an asshole.

Lockheed: What can I say? You're one of my best friends in the world. Always a pleasure to have you up there.

Medic: I owe you big. You did an awesome job as the official DC101 photographer. I will be making you a shirt and sending it to you.

Ripshy & Xodia: Even though you both have your own things to do [NoC Goon and running DefCon Radio, respectively]. Neither of you ever fail to disappoint in showing up and helping to run the event.

Nikita: Even though you weren't at Con, I still have a shirt to send you.

Scavenger Hunt (Siviak, Eris, Vandal, DualDFlipFlop, Salem)

As always, you guys did an awesome job and I hope you got some contestants out. You really are the anchor to DefCon 101. I'm glad I didn't make the list this year. Like GM1 you guys also did a nice job or rolling with things when that person jumped on stage for the second time during the event to talk about things we already covered.

Name that n00b

I give a lot of the credit to the participants in the contest, you guys were brought up on stage and ask some... interesting questions. But in good spirits, you played the game and I think everyone had some fun.

Attendees: A big specific thank you to the 50-60 attendees at 101 who came up to me after the event or throughout the con just to talk to me/shoot the shit. I'm glad you all got something out of 101 and that you put our advice into practice. The two most memorable instances are the one guy who said "Being at Defcon, I think I've finally found my home" and the two other guys who said "We like the 3-2-1 Rule, but we're having some difficult with the 'three' part of it. Three hours of sleep is hard to come by with DefCon being so awesome".

Definitely learned some lessons this year for things to change at 101. Some type of T-Shirt launching device will definitely be necessary in the future. As I said, I wasn't expecting to fill up all of track 1 and have a sea full of people.

We have some idea's on how to change things a bit to get people more involved and interact with others for dc20.

Next year we'll also have four different T-Shirt types (designs) that we'll be giving away.

Most importantly thanks to Runnerup.
        --------------

The rest of my "Thanks & Sorry's" for con in general is forthcoming.
        Last edited by HighWiz; 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Roamer: I understand your perspective on the notion of "Why do hackers need a 101". But I'm glad you came out [;)] to do it anyway. I hope you enjoyed doing it, as much as we enjoyed having you there. And I hope you're on board to do it again. I also got a laugh out of it, when you walked in and noticed that everyone else was wearing their shirt.

I had a great time and if you want me back next year I'm 100% in. Shit, I'll even wear the proper shirt next year...heh. Sorry about that.

As for Why do hackers need a 101? Yeah I still feel that way, but the fact that ~2500 people showed up for 101 tells me that there is at least a desire for it, if not a need. I think you're doing a great job on it. It provided folks with a lot of info but at the same time was fun I think for both the speakers and the people in the audience.
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I had a great time and if you want me back next year I'm 100% in. Shit, I'll even wear the proper shirt next year...heh. Sorry about that.

As for Why do hackers need a 101? Yeah I still feel that way, but the fact that ~2500 people showed up for 101 tells me that there is at least a desire for it, if not a need. I think you're doing a great job on it. It provided folks with a lot of info but at the same time was fun I think for both the speakers and the people in the audience.
            I definitely want you back next year! You were a big part of what made this the best 101 yet.

I also got a kick out of your other comment (Paraphrasing here) "Dude, usually I'm nice to my audience 'cuz I don't want them to walk out of my talk".

Comment

Sorrys, Boos and Thank yous

Sorrys:

Sorry to John McNabb for the Short Story Contest Snafu.

Sorry to TW for me flaking on helping burn the CD's.

Sorry to all the people I didn't get to see and hangout with at Con this year that I wanted to (like Xor & Astcell)

Sorry to the people in the badge contest who I had to send on a wild goose chase, it was part of the game...

Boos:

Boo to the Rio Checkin. When you tell me that you're going to call me when my room is ready and then I show up later and no-one is in line, but my room is ready, it kinda ticks me off. Don't tell me, you'll call me if you won't.

Double boo for not allowing me to "give credit" to DefCon for my room simply because the "room type" was outside the DefCon Block.

Thanks to the people who helped me close the Masquerade bar on Saturday & Sunday Morning and stay up with me: Imposter Lost, Clutch, Flipper on Saturday and Viking, Xodia and Ripshy on Sunday. If I went to bed before 8am at DefCon I think I'd feel like I was doing it wrong. I enjoyed the conversations and your company immensely.

Thanks to everyone who came to hangout in my room at con. I like going to parties and having fun, but I much prefer hanging out in a semi-quiet environment and just talking to cool people. So throughout Con there were various people who came to hangout AlxRogan, Medic, Jenn, Viking, Bagman, DBCooper, GayFlag, Roamer, GM1, MelonDong, Chatters, Lockheed, Ripshy, Lost, Imposter Lost, Clutch, Panadero, Flipper, Xodia... I'm sure I forgot a bunch of people, but my mental capacity is not back to 100% at this point. I'm still in a post-defcon haze.

Also had a really good time hanging out in the big cabana by the pool with a bunch of the above people and then heading out and having doorcon together at the 303 party. GF, Viking, Bagman and the rest of the doorcon crew made sure that Runnerup and I were totally taken care of as far as booze went.

Russr, Roamer, GM1, Redbeard, etc.. the goon band was fucking awesome this year. Definitely enjoyed it. Thanks to Tuna and Viking for "Moshing" to somewhere over the rainbow with me (and not hurting me).
              Boo to the random jackasses who were "moshing" at the goon band and actually trying to hurt people.
              A big yay to Viking for organizing "Guiness Con" and for buying me a bag of ice for the beer in my room.

Bbox: I know I said it in another thread, but I feel it needs repeating. You did an amazing job with the Forum Meet and the button you made specifically for me was full of all kinds of win. I had T-Shirts set aside for you and FS, sorry I didn't see you guys around con after the forum meet. And thanks for the case of rolling rock you donated to the speakers at 101. That was fucking awesome of you.

Pyr0 and Tuna: The one talk I attended at this DefCon was yours and I think you guys did a great job with it.

Tuna: I had a great time hanging out with you and tagging your face.

Panadero: You'll always fun to hangout with. But I much prefer you with eyebrows.

GayFlag: You're really a good dude and a great sport. It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to chill with you for a while.

CyMike, Vandal & Eris: I had a lot of fun sitting at the bar and learning interesting things from the both of you, while we also sat there and checked people out.

CP: The fake scavenger hunt item list team was pretty fucking funny. Glad I could help out.

Xodia, CP, Jim, DBCooper, zmd (And whomever else was involved): You guys did an awesome job with DefCon Radio.

Xodia: Always a great time hanging out with you. Whether were closing the bar or just chilling in the room, you're a lot of fun.

Roamer: Hanging out with you is always a blast. Watching you ass bang Anch into the wall at the Vegas 2.0/949 party was fucking funny as hell.

Siviak: I had a good time drinking and hanging out with you, sorry we didn't get to do more of it.

Salem: Thanks for making HighWiz's balls.

Londo & Xtasy: Great hanging out with you guys at the Forum Meet. Sorry we didn't have a chance to hangout more and catch up.

Kandi: I had a great time with you in our conversation by the pool. Feather not Dot.

GM1: Had an awesome time hanging out with you this year, it's always a pleasure.

Cotman: It was great seeing you, sorry we didn't have more interaction at con this year. I was hoping you would come to hangout in the room.

Nulltone: Dude, I was totally surprised (pleasantly) that you showed up. It was fun hanging out with you for the little time that we did.

Neil: You always do an awesome job with everything at DefCon (Pre, During and Post). And our random encounters were fun.

Nikita: It sucks that you weren't able to come. You were definitely missed.

Xor: Shit dude, I'm disappointed I didn't get to see you at all during con. I guess this is just an excuse for us to have to hang out locally.

Renderman: It was great seeing you at the forum meet, your outfit was awesome. You never fail to disappoint. Sorry we didn't have a chance to get a drink together.

Deviant: Same goes for you, we definitely should all hangout sometime soon. The TSA outfits/act were great.

h3adrush: Glad you're back for real now. Had a good time hanging out with you, and . Sorry to hear about Lil_freak, I will definitely give her a call in the near future.

Security Goons: No matters what problems anyone else has with you. I think you guys always conduct yourself in a very professional manner when on the job and handle things very nicely and calmly. As a first line of defense against any problem, I think you guys do it awesomely. Even the first year Security Goons seemed to know exactly what they had to do, which is definitely a positive reflection of their leadership.

NoC Goons: You guys keep things running and do it really well. I had a good time hanging out in the NoC and chilling with you guys a bit.

Dispatch Goons: Being in the background, I don't think your praises are sung enough, you guys definitely do a good job of keeping the information flowing.

Voltage Spike: I'm glad you did have a chance to step away and hangout after your Dispatch Shift. It was really great seeing you for the short time I did.

Vendor/Contest Goons (Roamer, Pyro): As always, you guys do an outstanding job of setting things up and making sure they run well.

Reg Goons (TW): Registration this year seemed to be as smooth as a Bel Ami Model. Between you guys and the security goons I'd be surprised if there was any actual valid complaints from attendees.

Press/Speaker Goons: All my interactions with you were 100% awesome.

AgentX: I'm glad you did show up for dc101 for a bit.

Veruus: Thanks for kissing my ear.

Kallahar: Setting up the line to the "no party" on Friday night was really funny.

Viking: Overall hanging out with you this year was a lot of fun, you definitely helped make this con a very memorable one.

Bagman: You did an awesome job of stopping a bad situation with the drunk kid who was doing flips for a dollar. Whomever was feeding that underage kid alcohol and then not watching over him is a douche. By taking the kid to his father you really helped in making sure a bad situation didn't get worse.

Clay: Sorry you didn't make it out to Con this year. We definitely missed you. And you did an amazing job on the mobile agenda.

Flipper: It was really great getting to meet you, and then getting to know you. I hope your first DefCon experience was amazing. Just like this con, my room is always open for you to crash in.

Ripshy: As always though, I had a great time hanging out with you. Sorry to hear about your drink getting spiked with GHB before the Network Talk, I hope they somehow end up finding the asshat who did it. Sorry we didn't get to say goodbye before I left, I guess it's just another excuse for me to get out to San Diego soon.

Lockheed: I don't know if there are words besides "You're one of my best friends in the world", with the exception of Runnerup I talk to you more than I talk to anyone else throughout the year. It's always a great time hanging out with you at Con.
              Between You, Flipper and Ripshy I guess I really do need to spend some significant amounts of time in San Diego.

Runnerup: What can I say besides "I love you", I think that sums it up best.

Sorry to anyone I forgot... I'm sure there will be more people I add to this later.
              Last edited by HighWiz; 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM. Reason: added people

Comment

Re: Sorrys, Boos and Thank yous

Sorrys:

Sorry to John McNabb for the Short Story Contest Snafu.

I got him taken care of, I think.
                cows like candy

Comment

Re: Sorrys, Boos and Thank yous

Originally posted by veruus View Post
                  I got him taken care of, I think.
                  Ah, thank you then. I owe you a beer, next time I see you.

Comment

Working...
                  X