Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update: Lost session, no retest required, but I do need new paperwork from y'all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Lost session, no retest required, but I do need new paperwork from y'all

Hi folks,

I'm very sorry to say that, after a month of waiting, it definitely appears that our packet of test materials was lost in the mail. :(

But, all is not lost, and you do not need to retake the exam to get your license. You have two options:

1) Get in touch with me (jammer at weak dot org), and send me a scan or fax of a new FCC form 605 (http://www.arrl.org/fcc-forms). We'll have to have the VE's sign these, so it'll take a bit, but we'll get it done as quickly as possible.

2) Take your CSCE (that white slip of paper we gave you after you passed) to a local exam session, and go through them. If you do this, you'll have to pay another $15. Let me know if you do and I'll reimburse you.

Really sorry this happened, it's the first time in four years of running exams that it has, and I know there's 23 of you out there waiting for your call signs (and 7 folks waiting for upgrades).

Please circulate this amongst people you know were at the exam session.

Thanks,

-Jon

Re: Update: Lost session, no retest required, but I do need new paperwork from y'all

Thanks for following up. Could you provide some more complete details on how to fill out the 605? Some fields such as name are obvious, but others such as Application Purpose and Ship Exemptions are not to this newb.

Comment

Re: Update: Lost session, no retest required, but I do need new paperwork from y'all

Originally posted by nebulous View Post
      Thanks for following up. Could you provide some more complete details on how to fill out the 605? Some fields such as name are obvious, but others such as Application Purpose and Ship Exemptions are not to this newb.
      Just fill in Section 1; Name, Mailing Address, Call Sign, Social Security Number (or preferably FRN), Daytime Phone number (in case there is a problem).

Check Individual for type of applicant, and other checks as applicable.

Do not fill out anything in section 2 (It's a multi-purpose form).

-Jon

Comment

Based on context I'm guessing the proper form is the NCVEC 605 rather than the full 605 in that case.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ncvec605-3.pdf

Comment

Based on context I'm guessing the proper form is the NCVEC 605 rather than the full 605 in that case.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ncvec605-3.pdf
          Yes, thanks for clarifying that.

-Jon

Comment

Jon,

I attempted option 2, which it turns out isn't a valid option. I showed my local examiner the CSCE from Vegas and took the general test while I was there, but the ARRL just called me and told me they will still need the 605 from the original VEs.

So Option 2 should really read, go to a local exam and just take the test over and pretend Vegas didn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Vod1 View Post
              Jon,

I attempted option 2, which it turns out isn't a valid option. I showed my local examiner the CSCE from Vegas and took the general test while I was there, but the ARRL just called me and told me they will still need the 605 from the original VEs.

So Option 2 should really read, go to a local exam and just take the test over and pretend Vegas didn't exist.
              Argh. Sorry man, that sucks. Everything I'd read in the VE manual said that this should work.

Ok, if you've gone and taken a replacement test, let me know and I'll mail you a check for your $15 from Vegas. I can do PayPal also, if you prefer.

If you still need a 605 from us, get in touch with me. So far I've gotten 11 people out of 30 processed.

I also just gave the ARRL my credit card to pay for the license session ($675, woo), since we're still waiting on the Post Office to return the money order...

This blows. I will not be running exams again. Someone else can deal with this next year.

-Jon

Comment

Just wanted to report that despite it being a frustrating situation, the process went reasonably quickly once I emailed Jon my 605. My callsign showed up in the FAA database last week.

Comment

Just wanted to report that despite it being a frustrating situation, the process went reasonably quickly once I emailed Jon my 605. My callsign showed up in the FAA database last week.
                  Awesome, glad to hear.

So far I've heard from 13 people and have gotten their replacement paperwork. 10 have already been sent off to the ARRL, so should have call signs very soon, if not already, and 3 are in flight.

That leaves me with a stack of 17 CSCEs that I can't do anything with. If you know anyone who was at the exam session, please contact them and tell them to get ahold of me.

-Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X