This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you enjoy most about Defcon?

Defcon is many things to many people; there is no single "right" path to joy, fun, or learning. What do you enjoy most about Defcon?

Parties? A chance to socialize with people, maybe drink, get drunk, dance, or something else?

Events? Like the Defcon Shoot, The Toxic BBQ, the fund raising events, or something else?

Various "Villages" or "Skytalks" or "Workshops" on many topics, often with more intimate discussions in smaller rooms and a low ratio of presenter to observer/leraner?

Presentations in the main rooms that cover each of the major tracks, and if so, what topics?

I am interested in what caused you to spend cash to go to Defcon the first time, and what keeps bringing you back if you return year after year. (It may not be the same thing, and maybe it has changed several times through the years.)

Thanks!

I like many of these things including the Toxic BBQ and the Defcon shoot, but I don't go to Defcon just to see them. While I am there, I prefer not to miss them, but they are not what gets me to shell out cash to visit Las Vegas -- a place I'd mostly avoid if it was not for Defcon. Socializing with people I know, presentations, and the villages make me crack my wallet to go back to Defcon.

What about you? What makes you crack open your wallet to suffer the heat that is Las Vegas?
    Social: parties, meet people, dancing, drinking, gambling
    22.22%
    Events: fund-raising events, Toxic BBQ, Defcon Shoot, etc.
    13.58%
    Villages/Workshops/Skytalks: more intimate, low ratio of presenter to viewer
    14.81%
    Presentations: Major presentations in the major tracks
    11.11%
    I am totally clueless and don't know why I do anything, so I don't know why I go to Defcon
    1.23%
    Debauchery and hedonism: for the pleasure of what I do and see
    12.35%
    To watch security goons resolve problems
    2.47%
    To sell stuff: I am a vendor
    0.00%
    To work (I am a goon, staff, volunteer, speaker, running a contest or event)
    12.35%
    None of the above: I will comment below
    1.23%
    I like cheese.
    8.64%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by TheCotMan; 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Re: What do you enjoy most about Defcon?

"To hangout with TheCotMan" should have totally been an option.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
      my brain is screaming "Cowboy Neal" for some reason
      Originally posted by Ellen
      Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Technically covered under the socializing option, as the poll us more about the why than the who. It could also fit under the "none of the above" option, too. Additionally, I am boring to hang around with at Defcon... you are far more interesting and fun to be around.

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
        my brain is screaming "Cowboy Neal" for some reason
        Closest I came to doing something like that was the recurring options "I like cheese" and "I vote we should stop voting" and "you suck! Stop asking us questions!" but I did not add any of these as options to this poll until now... I'll add, "I like cheese."
        tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
          Technically covered under the socializing option, as the poll us more about the why than the who.
          Not when YOU are the WHO.

It could also fit under the "none of the above" option, too. Additionally, I am boring to hang around with at Defcon... you are far more interesting and fun to be around.
          I must strongly disagree. You were the life of the party in my room at.. dc17. I'm looking forward to another cameo appearance from you this year. I know both AlxRogan and Roamer would agree, that you are indeed one of the coolest people at DefCon (thus, you should have been your own option).
          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

I must strongly disagree. You were the life of the party in my room at.. dc17. I'm looking forward to another cameo appearance from you this year. I know both AlxRogan and Roamer would agree, that you are indeed one of the coolest people at DefCon (thus, you should have been your own option).
            (I was going to send this as a PM, but maybe a reader is really bored and wants to read something like this.)

Sorry man. I'm not going to add my name up there. Horrible, horrible drama happens when people are pushed out in the space citing, "that person is the coolest." Nobody can ever live up to such a claim, and when reality does not meet expectations, people are dismayed, and an opportunity for a natural progression of events is altered by failing to meet expectations. Friendships that may have been, never happen, and a different reality unfolds. It is much better for everyone when some people sacrifice ego for the sake of joy, fun and entertainment. :-D

Even worse things can happen when people choose to self-promote their name, status or are boastful on their claims in most groups -- Defcon, especially so. Security people have a lifetime of hearing vendors claims about some product being effective at addressing a problem when they are not, and claims that remind them of these lies that waste their time in their professional life can quickly escalate their mood from relaxed to ballistic when these claims happen at a fun social-gathering, leading them to export their feelings to the new target without mercy. (Think back on how many people have done this and how things ended for them.) There are exceptions to this, such as the use of satire, or sarcasm with self-promotion to make a joke, but only in small doses.

For me to act on such a thing and promote my own name like this would be setting an example to others, "if you want to be awesome at Defcon, you need to embrace your ego and arrogance," but that is not the message I like to provide by example. It is better to demonstrate working well with others that want to contribute, and promotion of others around me for the hard work they provide. (This goes to the point of a discussion we had several years ago: "new-comers" to a social gathering observe the "old-hands" and learn from their behavior. When the old-hands rightfully flame someone, the new-comers don't always see the problem that lead to the punishment. Instead, the new-comers see the way the "respected" old-hands behave is to flame other users. As a result, to try to fit in, some new-comers decide to mimic this behavior, causing the old-hands to complain about how all these new people are angry idiots jumping onto a flaming band-wagon. An answer to this? Lead by example, and let people be themselves unless they bump-up against some rule established to keep things working. When it happens, describe the issue, explain the problem and move on. Constructive criticism is good even when combined with negative comments. Flaming (without value) is bad. Side-effects? Double-standards are bad. Discrepancies between penalties for same problem are bad. etc.)

This does not mean life is all unicorns and rainbows. I do not tolerate spam, and people that are able to learn but choose not to. Both of these things cause me to feel frustration, and that can lead to anger and unpredictable results. These are two of the many failings in my life that need more work.

Promotion of desired behavior (positive reinforcement) is the other end of the spectrum, but is often perceived as a behavior that is demonstrated by people that are weak, and makes some people feel their standing drops when they praise others for their work, accomplishments, and contributions. It seems is it harder for people to contribute constructively to conversations and provide "atta-boys" to other people for desired behavior. I just don't want to accept it when it is directed at me. Ego is my biggest enemy. Please understand this. :-)

You, Roamer, Lost[boy], and several other people are on my list of people that I plan to find at Defcon. When we have had time to hang-out at Defcon, we've had fun. :-)

Sorry I skipped out last year. Visiting people like you guys is one of the reasons why I am, "cracking open my wallet to attend Defcon." I'm looking forward to this year. Also, some of the presentations people have been claiming to submit to the talks queue sound really good. I might see more presentations this year than last time.

Thanks man,
            -Cot

P.S.: someone has already chosen, "I like cheese." :-D
            Last edited by TheCotMan; 04-17-2011, 09:34 PM.

Comment

(I was going to send this as a PM, but maybe a reader is really bored and wants to read something like this.)
              I'm seldom bored, but I still read it, and appreciated it. If I'd had more coffee, I'd be making more comments, but you can all stand down, this will be a short one.

Sorry I skipped out last year. Visiting people like you guys is one of the reasons why I am, "cracking open my wallet to attend Defcon." I'm looking forward to this year. Also, some of the presentations people have been claiming to submit to the talks queue sound really good. I might see more presentations this year than last time.
              My sentiments exactly. Mostly. Defcon's the one place where most of the people I'd want to see show up, and since this will almost certainly be the last one I go to, I'm damn glad this is one you'll be at as well. I don't like parties (mostly), and avoid them (almost entirely). The "social" option on your poll doesn't really apply, since I'm there to see people, but one or two at a time, and not all at once.

I'm very happy to hear that the talks will be piped into the rooms. I'd like to see some of them, and this gives me half a chance.

I need more coffee...

Comment

It is my Mecca.

Comment

Originally posted by blakdayz View Post
                  It is my Mecca.
                  Ok, this year, you had damn well better tote a prayer rug around and kneel down and pray in the direction of DT at least six times a day.
                  "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
                    Ok, this year, you had damn well better tote a prayer rug around and kneel down and pray in the direction of DT at least six times a day.
                    Hahaha. Yeah. Hold your breath.

Comment

Originally posted by blakdayz View Post
                      Hahaha. Yeah. Hold your breath.
                      You disappoint me. Smitings may have to occur.
                      "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

You are all my family.

Comment

Thread copied forward to a new location in the "Defcon 19 and Beyond" Forum.
                          Closed here.

Comment

Working...
                          X