No announcement yet.

Fundraiser for Brad "The Nurse" Smith.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundraiser for Brad "The Nurse" Smith.

During Defcon 20 the Wall of Sheep will be having a fundraiser for Brad "The Nurse" Smith. A life sized trench coated sheep Mascot (The one on the Shirts last year) will be available for you to take a picture with.

Come on by The Wall of sheep with your camera and take a picture with our Sheep and drop a few Bucks in the Box for Brad!

Brad "The Nurse" Smith has been involved with Defcon and our community for many years. He has given many talks and helped many people along the way. Last November as he started to give his presentation at Hacker Halted in Miami Florida he suffered a stroke. Brad has had a difficult road to recovery so far and has many challenges still ahead.

With the help from his wonderful wife Nina, Brad will surely continue to improve.

It is a slow and difficult process but hopefully we in the Defcon community can help. Please help support one of our own!

you can find out more about Brad and follow along with his recovery at:

http://www.bradthenurse.com/brads-blog.html

P.S. There will also be a contest for naming the mascot, so make sure you stop by and support Brad!

Re: Fundraiser for Brad "The Nurse" Smith.

I was not terribly familiar with who Brad was until catching a forum post on here about him awhile back. I was checking out his blog today and noticed he was trying to win a Van by accumulating votes . See blog post here. http://www.bradthenurse.com/3/post/2...for-a-van.html While I am new to the community and don't know who runs what i feel if this were posted on the facebook page and other places as well he may stand a good chance of winning.

Comment

Brad's stroke was on Oct 27, 2011, although it's being reported in several places as happening in November. I visited him in the Nursing Home in Miami in February, shortly before he was transferred to Montana, and from what I understand he's made terrific progress since then. He still has a very long way to go and it'll take years, but he's aware of his situation and is determined to recover.

The website for the van is a great opportunity, but Brad only has a bit over 1000 points while some others have over 10,000. Each person can vote from multiple IPs once a day, but only one vote per IP per day. The contest ends at the end of this month iirc. Let's get busy and help Brad after his years of helping us. We know how energetic Brad is, and it's awful for him to be restricted to the rooms and hallways of his current nursing home; having a handicap accessible van would stimulate his brain and body as well as making him happy.

Comment

Thanks for the corrected info Ziplock!

I know we have limited viewers on the Forums at this time, Maybe someone can Tweet about this from the Defcon Account and get the word out to more users.

I bet our community has more computer users with lots of unique access to others with computers to Vote for brad then anyone else in the contest.

Please take a moment to vote for Brad and then ask another friend to vote.

Thanks

Comment

Fundraiser for Brad "The Nurse" Smith.

I have received a bunch of questions regarding the Photo with the Wall of sheep Mascot fundraiser for Brad "The Nurse Smith".

QUESTION:
          What percent of collections goes to Brad and his wife.

ANSWER:
          Simple, 100%

Brad is one of our own, he has always helped anyone he could, it's our chance to return the kindness he has shown so many over the years.

Please come on by The Wall of sheep with your camera and take a picture with our Sheep Mascot and drop a few Bucks in the Box for Brad!

Please spread the word about this fundraiser and help Brad and his wife Nina.
          More about the fundraiser: http://www.wallofsheep.com/thenurse/

you can find out more about Brad and follow along with his recovery at: http://www.bradthenurse.com/brads-blog.html
          Last edited by Bbox; 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X