Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON 20 Paper question

Hello everyone,
    I have been pondering the possibility of writing a paper with the goal of presenting it at DEFCON 20 and I have not been able to find any information. I know it's WAY early to be talking about paper writing but I would like to started now.

1. Do people typically use PowerPoint when papers are presented?
    2. How long are the papers usually,
    3. Anything else this newbie needs to know?

TIA everyone :)

Re: DEFCON 20 Paper question

1.> Some do..some dont. Most do or a variant.

2.> If by paper you mean presentation, typically 40 minutes or so. More and a goon will strangle you, less and its..awkward..

3.> Dont be nervous, bring booze and bring gifts for Speaker Goons.

4.> Oh - yea - watch on this forum for call for papers. I think it starts around April/May.

None of this is official, but might be close enough. Except the goon part, thats spot on.

Originally posted by ratman View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have been pondering the possibility of writing a paper with the goal of presenting it at DEFCON 20 and I have not been able to find any information. I know it's WAY early to be talking about paper writing but I would like to started now.

+++ Dallas +++

Comment

Hello everyone,

You are looking for the "CFP" (Call For Papers) which usually happens early in the year of Defcon. Last year, i think it was some time around late January to mid-to-late February.
      One tweet from https://twitter.com/#!/_defcon_ announced it on Feb 23, 2011, but it may have been linked from the main site earlier than that, but not much more than that.

Here is an example announcement from DC19:

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-19/dc-19-cfp.html

Here is the sample form from DC19:

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-1...-cfp-form.html

HTH, check back later, follow _defcon_ on twitter. Other people that have announced these things in the past on twitter and facebook include Jeff and Nikita.
      tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Thanks guys. The paper is going to deal with RFID security in medical devices and applications.

Comment

All right...got another question...Is there anyone in the Atlanta Area with an RFID scanner that could meet my partner BEFORE 12/28? Also, is there any specific format required for the paper itself?

Comment

All right...got another question...Is there anyone in the Atlanta Area with an RFID scanner that could meet my partner BEFORE 12/28? Also, is there any specific format required for the paper itself?
            If these are not answered with content in the provided links, you can wait to see if Nikita replies with answers. For examples of what other speakers have submitted in the past, the provided DVD image usually includes speaker supplied material for use in their presentation. Additionally, a short description for each presentation can be found in the program.

This page:
            https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc...9-archive.html

Links to:
            Original DVD ISO9660: https://media.defcon.org/dc-19/defco...d-original.iso
            Updated DVD ISO9660: https://media.defcon.org/dc-19/defco...vd-updated.iso
            And The program as a PDF: https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon...19-program.pdf

If you plan to attend Defcon no matter what happens with your talk being accepted or not, you should also consider talking with the person/people running the Wireless Village. They may have a slot for you to speak on this topic with them to a smaller crowd. Even if the crowd is smaller, it does permit you to share your ideas and findings with the community.

I have not received word from DaKahuna on the return of the wireless village for Defcon 20 in this thread and I do not remember what he said about it when talking about it in another space.
            tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
              If these are not answered with content in the provided links, you can wait to see if Nikita replies with answers. For examples of what other speakers have submitted in the past, the provided DVD image usually includes speaker supplied material for use in their presentation. Additionally, a short description for each presentation can be found in the program.

This page:
              https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc...9-archive.html

Links to:
              Original DVD ISO9660: https://media.defcon.org/dc-19/defco...d-original.iso
              Updated DVD ISO9660: https://media.defcon.org/dc-19/defco...vd-updated.iso
              And The program as a PDF: https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon...19-program.pdf

If you plan to attend Defcon no matter what happens with your talk being accepted or not, you should also consider talking with the person/people running the Wireless Village. They may have a slot for you to speak on this topic with them to a smaller crowd. Even if the crowd is smaller, it does permit you to share your ideas and findings with the community.

I have not received word from DaKahuna on the return of the wireless village for Defcon 20 in this thread and I do not remember what he said about it when talking about it in another space.
              Thanks a bunch TheCotMan....the biggest issue right now is I NEED to have someone in the ATL area meet my partner BEFORE 12/28, scan her with an RFID scanner and TAKE PHOTOS I thought she had photos and she did not....OH S***!

Comment

Cot's answers are great. I would expect to announce the CFP in January, maybe the start of February. If you submit pictures in additional materials please consider that your materials may be printed, therefore consider how your materials will look printed 4 or 6 slides a sheet, and above all please do not use black backgrounds.

Powerpoint is a no. I'd rather get a word doc, text file or pdf.

You don't need to be incredibly detailed but detailed enough that we understand your concept and how it works, we don't like getting vague ambiguous submissions about this super awesome exploit but you don't want to share any details.

If you have any further questions you can email us at talks at defcon dot org. I'd like to keep an active thread though, I'd like it if accepted speakers posted their advice on winning strategies on how to submit an application.
                "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                  I'd like to keep an active thread though, I'd like it if accepted speakers posted their advice on winning strategies on how to submit an application.
                  If I don't remember or forget about it, please remind me to copy this thread forward to the "Defcon 20 planning" forum with a notice on the closed original to continue discussions in the new copy) of the thread in the new forum when rolled out.

(Having "Defcon 20" in the subject makes it easier to identify threads that should be copied forward, but I've overlooked things in the past.)

Also, a copy could also be place in "Speakers Corner" instead of DC 20 planning.

Thanks Nikita,
                  -Cot

Comment

I thought, and may be wrong, he was asking about power-point during presentation vs what to submit to be accepted to do the presentation. Are you saying you would like the Powerpoint in a printed fashion for review and then speaker can utilize Powerpoint (or similar) for actual presentation. (Asking as I'm putting mine together now for submission as well)

and 2nd question since you know..its kinda slow this week..if we are interested in doing a workshop should that be submitted about the same time as papers as well?

Cot's answers are great. I would expect to announce the CFP in January, maybe the start of February. If you submit pictures in additional materials please consider that your materials may be printed, therefore consider how your materials will look printed 4 or 6 slides a sheet, and above all please do not use black backgrounds.

Powerpoint is a no. I'd rather get a word doc, text file or pdf.

You don't need to be incredibly detailed but detailed enough that we understand your concept and how it works, we don't like getting vague ambiguous submissions about this super awesome exploit but you don't want to share any details.

If you have any further questions you can email us at talks at defcon dot org. I'd like to keep an active thread though, I'd like it if accepted speakers posted their advice on winning strategies on how to submit an application.
                    +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                      I thought, and may be wrong, he was asking about power-point during presentation vs what to submit to be accepted to do the presentation. Are you saying you would like the Powerpoint in a printed fashion for review and then speaker can utilize Powerpoint (or similar) for actual presentation. (Asking as I'm putting mine together now for submission as well)

and 2nd question since you know..its kinda slow this week..if we are interested in doing a workshop should that be submitted about the same time as papers as well?
                      Ahh, I thought he was talking about submissions, not presentation. I prefer not using power point format on materials that are submitted to me. I've recently listed PDF as the only format acceptable for receiving materials for the conference CD/DVD ( but that's after you are accepted) as for supporting materials you send in with your CFP application I prefer PDF or Text.

I want everyone to know that it's easier for us to review your materials amongst multiple people, OS, and to be able to print them for reading offline review, when the format it is in is not an issue. PDF or .txt is king. I don't care what you are using to get your presentation on the screen during your talk tho. Also, black backgrounds will almost certainly get you on my bad side, I've said it a million times. But especially for printing reasons.

As for workshops, I am still unsure what we are doing with those this year. I don't yet know if they are coming back and how and at what level. I don't want you to waste your time saying yay or nay on that.
                      "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Well, my partner got her implants out today but we didn't get the RFID screenshot so we are screwed :(

Comment

I vote workshops. Enjoyed them. Have an idea for one. :)

Ahh, I thought he was talking about submissions, not presentation. I prefer not using power point format on materials that are submitted to me. I've recently listed PDF as the only format acceptable for receiving materials for the conference CD/DVD ( but that's after you are accepted) as for supporting materials you send in with your CFP application I prefer PDF or Text.

I want everyone to know that it's easier for us to review your materials amongst multiple people, OS, and to be able to print them for reading offline review, when the format it is in is not an issue. PDF or .txt is king. I don't care what you are using to get your presentation on the screen during your talk tho. Also, black backgrounds will almost certainly get you on my bad side, I've said it a million times. But especially for printing reasons.

As for workshops, I am still unsure what we are doing with those this year. I don't yet know if they are coming back and how and at what level. I don't want you to waste your time saying yay or nay on that.
                          +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Working...
                          X