Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 Contest at DEFCON: Hacker Jeopardy

THE PROPER (AND ONLY) WAY TO SIGN UP A TEAM FOR HACKER JEOPARDY

Okay, just to make sure that everyone has an equal opportunity, here are the directions to sign up your team. Don't do something else (like post a reply to this thread, since it might not get read in time -- we had this problem in past years.)

1. Open an e-mail to "hackerjeopardy [att] gmail.com"

2. Include your TEAM NAME and the real names and handles of your three (3) team players. (Privacy policy: we protect your identity unless a Fed or someone with a whole bunch of cash wants it.)

3. Explain why you are 31337 enough to play this year. Brag like you're trying to get lucky.

4. Include at least one cellphone number so we can contact you to notify if you're playing or there's a problem with your entry.

5. Send the e-mail as soon as possible, but absolutely no later than 3 hours before the scheduled start of the round to be played. In case of any dispute, you're wrong (unless you are an entity described in #2 above.)
    Check out the HACKER JEOPARDY forum at https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=803

Re: #1 Contest at DEFCON: Hacker Jeopardy

Originally posted by G Mark View Post
    THE PROPER (AND ONLY) WAY TO SIGN UP A TEAM FOR HACKER JEOPARDY

Okay, just to make sure that everyone has an equal opportunity, here are the directions to sign up your team. Don't do something else (like post a reply to this thread, since it might not get read in time -- we had this problem in past years.)

1. Open an e-mail to "hackerjeopardy [att] gmail.com"

2. Include your TEAM NAME and the real names and handles of your three (3) team players. (Privacy policy: we protect your identity unless a Fed or someone with a whole bunch of cash wants it.)

3. Explain why you are 31337 enough to play this year. Brag like you're trying to get lucky.

4. Include at least one cellphone number so we can contact you to notify if you're playing or there's a problem with your entry.

5. Send the e-mail as soon as possible, but absolutely no later than 3 hours before the scheduled start of the round to be played. In case of any dispute, you're wrong (unless you are an entity described in #2 above.)

Excellent!

I'll get a forum for this once this shows up as approved/allocated-resources here: http://defcne.net/e/21

If you see it show up before me, please let me know and I'll make the forums for this and more this thread (and any others I find or am told about) to the new forum.

Thanks!
    -Cot
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Hacker Jeopardy Results from HJ XX - 2012

Hacker Jeopardy 2012

Host: Winn Schwartau
      Judge/scorekeeper: G. Mark
      Vanna Vinyl: Charlie
      Beer Betty: Li'l Jinny
      Special Guest: Miss Kitty (Vanna Vinyl from 1997)
      Expensive Celebrity Guest: Angelina Jolie sort-a-look-alike

Winner of the Eighteenth Hacker Jeopardy was NiceHat (Gray), consisting of POPS, EMK, and JPTerr0r.

A record 37 teams entered the competition this year. I'm thinking about doing qualifying rounds or something next year so that we can separate the leet from the lamers. Some teams were great. Others sucked. Good thing we have abuse to keep us busy.

Overall results for 2012:

Friday, July 27, 2012
      Round 1:
      Saucetel (Appl, Abstract, Indigo)
      500 pts + 14 beers - 1900 wager = 0 pts
      Winn or Lose (Kyle, Karen, Jeremy)*
      4000 pts + 13 beers - 1337 wager = 3963 pts [WINNER]
      Herp Derp (loosepackets, Moose, bigdrubi)
      -100 pts + 15 beers - 1400 wager = 0 pts

The first round of Hacker Jeopardy got off to an uneven start, with Saucetel and Winn or Lose trading the lead back and forth until Winn or Lose made a breakaway about 1/3 of the way into the game, and never looked back. Each team scored their Double Jeopardy question corrrectly, moving Vanna to the inevitable "big reveal." Drinking was pretty even among teams. Herp Derp foundered with only a single correct answer above zero, and blew the final answer anyway. Thanks for giving us another good reason to have qualifying rounds next year so we can save you from embarrassment.

Friday, July 27, 2012
      Round 2:
      Taking a Wikileak (Triple-H, BryceK, Intrigue)
      5200 pts + 11 beers + 800 wager = 7100 pts [WINNER]
      'numb3rs' (FakeChris, DanielMark, realpatrick)
      -1500 pts + 21 beers + 42 wager = 642 pts
      Dirty Little Orcas (c0ff33, Blackhawk, DeadGirl)
      -1800 pts + 9 beers = FAIL

Round two saw the higest score in Hacker Jeopardy since 1997, when G. Mark, Ira Winkler, and Dead Addict scored 8,300 points (still all-time record.) Taking a Wikileak (great name, BTW), sounding surprisingly like a bunch of Feds, hammered away at the competition, but refused to bet big on Double Jeopardy. Did I say "competition?" Sorry -- there was none. 'numb3rs' (yes, they insisted on the quotes) consisted of a couple of Asian guys who didn't even speak English; they had to recruit some fat f**k from the audience to round out the team. That dude was dumb, but could drink like a fish, and provided "horsey" rides to Vanna and Kitty while being painted with day-glo green paint. He drank most of the 21 beers, though -- that's world-class drinking. And, the bugger WON the 25,000-cent pyramid game on Saturday night, so go figure. The Orcas couldn't even drink their way out of the hole they dug with wrong answers.

Saturday, July 28, 2012
      Round 3:**
      PacketStunts (Matt, Beau, Knight Owl)***
      1300 pts + 19 beers - 3200 wager = 0 pts
      Who the Fugawi? (docwho, phreck, nz0)****
      -500 pts + 21 beers - 1600 wager = 0 pts
      neg9 (dyn, twinvega, hex)*****
      1700 pts + 17 beers - 3400 wager = 0 pts [WINNER]

Round 3 was pretty decent, and was a first in the 18-year history of Hacker Jeopardy -- a three-way tie. For zero. Vegas 2.0 was up to their usual stunts -- when "PacketStunts" (NetRanger, TonyNutz, and Dr.Dude) didn't come to the stage right away when we called their team, three guys in lab coats ran up and took their seats. Remember, it's only cheating if you get caught. So, Vegas 2.0 played under a pseudonym. This game saw 57 beers consumed, nearly breaking our budget, and further evidence of a 12-step program gone horribly wrong. I had the best laugh of the year when Docwho blew the question about at which DC HJ did NOT occur. I f**ked it up, too -- I thought he mentioned in his team submission that Hacker Jeopardy did not occur at DEFCON 12. It was actually Tigereye and Ravyn, but somehow I thought Dan sent it in. When he gave the correct answer, but it was NOT in the form of a question, I laughed so hard my head hurt.

Oh yeah, about that three-way tie. So, everyone goes all-in, and it's another stupid Winn question about Tesla. Winn wanted to name the category "1943", because everyone knows that's the year Tesla died. Seriously? Anyway, the answer was "Tesla" (and it turns out the wife of one of the players WORKS for Tesla), and we go to 0-0-0 for a final score. But wait! There's more! Neg9 has no clue either, but submits as their answer a SQL injection:
      1' OR '1'='1'; 'neg 9
      on their answer sheet. After 17 beers, that was brilliant! I had to give that round to them, but everyone else beware -- I've patched that vulnerability, and it won't work again next year. So, now they've got 10 minutes to empty bladders and get back in position for the final round of Hacker Jeopardy.

Saturday, July 28, 2012
      Final round:
      NiceHat (Grey) (POPS, EMK, JPTerr0r)
      300 pts + 26 beers - 1 wager = 3199 pts [WINNER]
      Winn or Lose (Kyle, Karen, Jeremy)*
      300 pts + 15 beers - 1800 wager = 0 pts
      Taking a Wikileak (Triple-H, BryceK, Intrigue)
      1000 pts + 12 beers - 2200 wager = 0 pts
      neg9 (dyn, twinvega, hex)
      300 pts + 7 beers - 100 wager = 900 pts

Winner of Black HAXOR badge: NiceHat (Grey) [also 2011, 2010 and 2009 defending champions. -- FOURpeat]
      Winner of Black HAXOR badge: Winn Schwartau as a "lifetime achievement" award for emceeing 18 Hacker Jeopardy games

Special awards:

Why do you Love Freedom Award - Everyone who contributed to the EFF fundraising by buying schwag or having a picture taken with the cast -- we raised $3,200 for the EFF! ($1 more than the final winning score.)

* Humperdink Award (most beers consumed by person or team):
      Winn or Lose - 28 beers combined first and final rounds

** Tycho Brahe Award (most beers consumed in one evening without a ruptured bladder): Awarded to Round 3 teams for consuming a combined 57 beers in less than one hour!

*** Kevin Mitnick Social Engineering Award: Vegas 2.0, for jumping up and running to the stage when PacketStunts was called but didn't respond in time

**** KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN Award (biggest screwup of the evening) : docwho, who selected the answer I thought HE sent in his team entry, and then didn't answer it in the form of a question

***** - Kobayashi Maru Award (best desperation move): neg9 in Round 3. Broke a three-way tie for zero points by writing a SQL injection as their final answer:
      1' OR '1'='1'; neg 9
      (note: We have patched this bug for next year ;)

Final Hacker Jeopardy Question:
      Category: Global Internet

A: After dot com, this is the second-largest TLD in the world for domain registrations.

Q: What is .de? (Also acceptable, What is Germany?)

Ref: http://www.domainpulse.com/2012/07/1...-registration/

Scores and results certified by G. Mark (judge and scorekeeper)
      Check out the HACKER JEOPARDY forum at https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=803

Comment

GMARK WE ARE COMING FOR YOU THIS YEAR

Comment

YOU MUST NOT KNOW WHO THE FUCK WE ARE GMARK
          Last edited by phreck; 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Are you the girls that sell Avon?

Comment

Looks like they don't know how to put things in the form of a question do they?
              You would think they would learn.
              DaKahuna

Comment

GMARK: IMMA GET DAT ASS!

Comment

Re: Hacker Jeopardy Results from HJ XX - 2012

This write-up makes me cry and brings back bad memories (except for the part where Vanna Vinyl was shooting whiskey shots in my mouth with a squirt gun).

We were so close ... leading by a huge margin in the final round before that last Double Jeopardy! question. We essentially lost because: 1) we didn't drink enough beers, and 2) we were social engineered into a large wager on that question and f*** it up; I think we missed Pussy Galore for heavens sake. Awful.

This year, I think we might give it another shot, but we are going to be missing a talented player who can both drink/think at the same time (he has won Crash & Compile), which is nigh impossible to do. He will be busy running another contest.

So, if you are someone who knows a lot of geek trivia and can drink about 17 beers/hour without barfing, and want to be on a team that has a good shot at a black badge, please IM me on the forum.

Triple-H
                  Taking a WikiLeak

Comment

I've heard so many people say it's so hard, and they'd just fuck it up. I've been on stage twice and know how it feels. Now as part of the HJ team, I have this to say:

Just Do It!

Yeah, maybe you'll fuck it up. Yeah, maybe people will laugh a little bit at you (try having the entire board system melt down on game 3 and tell me about embarassment). But I guarantee you, you'll have so much fun you won't regret it. You'll also have great stories to tell people. But hell, if you DON'T fuck it up, sometimes you get to remove Vanna's clothing, AND you drink free beer! Who can say THOSE are bad things?

We'd love newcomers to sign up - don't be afraid! The alcohol will numb the inhibitory side of your brain, and after a bit, you won't give two shits. You'll have a blast and, if you don't, catch me after the game and I'll buy you ANOTHER free beer.

--fizzgig

Comment

This is pretty much me after this year's Hacker Jeopardy:
                      http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbi...g-answer-child

Comment

Working...
                      X