This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One speaking slot

Normally with DC101, you have to know me to become a speaker. This way I can be 100% sure that A) The person will be reliable B) I like the person C) The person knows what they're talking about & D) They are doing it for the right reason*.

This year, I am opening up one slot to "others".

I prefer picking people who will not only be good speakers, but who are willing to do DC101 for the right reason*.

*In my mind, the right reason is to actually "give back" to the community. Not to pimp out their company or how they themselves are an uber 1337 CISSP.

In that tone, when you're doing the CFP for 101, keep these things in mind:
    Don't give me a bio about your awesome career at Sony or EMC or Google or Apple or blah blah blah, tell me about what you've done with the DefCon/Hacking Community... OR make it funny enough for me to actually laugh out loud.
    The dates for this CFP are different than DEF CON, keep that in mind.
    This is for DefCon 101, remember that...

Those are the major guidelines, if you have other questions, ask (via email).

DC101 CFP

This method requires you to cut and paste the text into the body of an email send the materials to: dc101<at>gayhackersYOURPANTS<dot>org.

The DC101 Call for Papers closes April 20, 2013

Presenter Information

Date of Submission:
    Primary Speaker Name:
    Primary Speaker Handle:
    Primary Speaker Email Address:
    Primary Speaker Phone Number:
    Additional Speakers' name(s)/handles & titles:
    Additional Email Addresses:
    Has the speaker(s) spoken at a previous DEF CON?
    Social media Names/links that you'd like us to list (Twitter, Facebook, etc):

Presentation Information

Presentation Title:
    Is there a demonstration? Yes or No
    Are you releasing a new tool? Yes or No
    Are you releasing a new exploit? Yes or No
    Is there audience participation? Yes or No
    Have you attended DefCon 101 before? Yes or No

Are you currently submitting this topic to any other conferences held prior to DEF CON 21?
    Has this presentation been given or accepted to any other venue or conference? Yes or No

(If yes to either question, please list dates, venues, and how this version of your presentation is going to be different. We are looking for unique talks, so help us understand how you talk has been updated.)

Scheduling

DC101 is on Thursday, are you sure you will be in and available to speak on Thursday?

Equipment needs & special requests

(DEF CON will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, microphones, wired and/or wireless Internet)

Will you require more than 1 LCD projector feed? Yes or No
    If yes, please specify how many and why.
    Will you require a white board? Yes or No
    Are there any other special equipment needs that you will require?
    Speaker Bio(s):

This text will be used for the website and printed materials and should be written in the third person. Remember the guidelines from above.

Abstract:

Your abstract will be used for the website and printed materials. Summarize what your presentation will cover. Attendees will read this to get an idea of what they should know before your presentation, and what they will learn after. Use this to inform about how technical your talk is, what tools will be used, what materials to read in advance to get the most out of your presentation. This abstract is the primary way people will be drawn to your session.

Detailed Outline:

You must provide a detailed outline containing the main points and navigation through your talk - show how you intend to begin, where you intend to lead the audience and how you plan to get there. The outline may be provided in a separate attachment and may be as simple as a text file or as detailed as a "bare bones" presentation. The better your outline then the better we are able to best review your presentation against other submissions (and the higher chance you have of being accepted).

SUBMISSION NOTE: Presentations that are submitted without abstracts, outlines, or speaker bios (e.g. that have only pdf's, ppt's, or white papers attached or only point to a URL) will not be considered.

Supporting File(s):

Additional supporting materials such as code, white papers, proof of concept, etc. should be sent along with this email to dc101<at>gayhackersYOURPANTS<dot>org. Note that additional files that may help in the selection process should be included. We are not asking for a complete presentation for this initial submission – That will only be required if you are selected for presenting.

SUBMISSION AGREEMENTS

Please read and accept these terms by inserting your name where noted. Failure to do so will render your submission incomplete. Please read these carefully as some of the terms have changed.

Grant of Copyright Use

I warrant that the above work has not been previously published elsewhere, or if it has, that I have obtained permission for its publication by DEF CON Communications, Inc. and that I will promptly supply DEF CON Communications, Inc. with wording for crediting the original publication and copyright owner. If I am selected for presentation, I hereby give DEF CON Communications, Inc. permission to duplicate, record and redistribute this presentation, which includes, but is not limited to, the conference proceedings, conference CD, video, audio, and hand-outs to the conference attendees for educational, on-line, and all other purposes.

Terms of Speaking Requirements

1) I will submit a completed presentation, a copy of the tool(s) and/or code(s), and a reference to all of the tool(s), law(s), Web sites and/or publications referenced to at the end of my talk and as described in this CFP submission for publication on the conference CD by 12:00 noon PST, June 7, 2013.

2) I will submit a final Abstract and Biography for the DEF CON website and Printed Conference Materials by 12:00 noon PST, May 31, 2013.

3) I understand if I fail to submit a completed presentation by June 7, 2013, I will be replaced by an alternate presentation. This decision will be made by HighWiz and I will informed in writing of my status. I will not be given a second chance, mulligan or "do over" after this date.

4) I will include a detailed bibliography as either a separate document or included within the presentation of all resources cited and/or used in my presentation.

5) I will complete my presentation within the time allocated to me - not running over the time allocation.

6) I understand that DEF CON will provide 1 LCD projector feed, 2 screens, microphones, wired and/or wireless Internet. I understand that I am responsible for providing all other necessary equipment, including laptops and machines (with VGA output), to complete my presentation.

7) If applicable, I will submit within 5 days of the completion of the conference any updated, revised or additional presentation(s) or materials that were used in my presentation but not included on the conference CD or conference proceedings.

Terms of Speaking Remuneration

1) I understand that I will be responsible for my own hotel and travel expenses.

2) I understand that I am responsible for everything and my hand will not be held.

As detailed above,
    I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Grant of Copyright Use.
    I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Terms of Speaking Requirements.
    I, (insert primary speaker name), have read and agree to the Agreement to Terms of Speaking Remuneration.

By submitting this CFP, you hereby agree to buy HighWiz a beer (even though he probably won't drink it and it will just sit there). You also agree that gay is the new black and midget tossing should be an Olympic sport. You acknowledge that you have been to more than one DefCon and as such do not require HighWiz or his representatives or DefCon to hold your mother fuckin' hand throughout this speaking process. You also agree to the following facts: Han shot first, Picard > Kirk, 42 is the answer, even if a dude sucks YOUR dick - you're still gay, ninja > pirates, emacs < vi, there's nothing gay about two dudes just "helping each-other out" and that Westley could have done much better than buttercup.

If you have not received confirmation of your submission after two business days, well, it's YOUR job to figure out what went wrong. Happy Hunting!

Some additional notes:

No honorarium. Don't even ask for it. You'll get a badge and you'll be happy about it.

Updates will be here and/or on my twitter.

The selection committee is a highly secret group of people that I know & trust.
    Bribing them may work, but they are definitely not cheap...

contact email: dc101<at>gayhackersYOURPANTS<dot>org (just remember to remove YOURPANTS before sending)
    Last edited by HighWiz; 04-20-2013, 12:57 AM.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.
Working...
X