THE BOX - DC22 Tamper Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE BOX - DC22 Tamper Challenge

The Box is a mini-contest hosted inside the Defcon 22 Tamper-Evident Village. The premise is simple: defuse a bomb! Make a mistake and get blown up. Don't worry, you can respawn at the back of the line. The Box is an extremely realistic EOD challenge that will test your skills against a variety of traps, alarms, and tamper-evident sensors.

Official Rules:
    1. Do not cut any wires or remove any tape. The Box will instantly kill you in 99.9% of these situations and you'll force the TEV staff to waste time making repairs.
    2. If Rule #1 isn't explicit enough, do not cause any permanent damage or modification to The Box.
    3. Two players form a team; signups start on Friday in the TEV. Only team members can be near The Box during your run.
    4. You are not provided any tools. What sort of EOD tech doesn't bring tools? The Box can be beat with less than $5 of easily acquired equipment.
    5. If you blow up, stop what you're doing and step back from the box. You're dead. Please don't make us install the dye packs and flashbangs (seriously).

Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to all those who compete!

datagram
    [MFP]

Re: THE BOX - DC22 Tamper Challenge

So, what did you guys think of The Box? We made this as a sideshow for the Tamper-Evident Village without too much thought; it was not even registered as an official contest. The Box turned out to be one of our most popular attractions! Only six teams were able to defuse the bomb after 3 straight days of non-stop runs. Team "digbus" was the first to successfully defuse the bomb! See below for interesting stats. Feel lucky that the room wasn't bright enough to kill more of you with the photoresistor sensor! PIR is omitted from the stats below because it didn't actually detonate anyone : (

Let us know what you thought of the difficulty, team size, restrictions, crowd interaction, and if you'd like to see this again next year!

dg
    [mfp]

Videos of runs: (Feel free to post any videos or photos you have of the box here.)
    Failed run by team "CodeMan"
    Successful run by team "lolbox"

Here are some interesting stats:

================================================== ====================
    Total Teams: 77
    Total Runs: 208
    Defusals: 6 (digbus, mystique, 'OR'1'='1, teamname, null, lolbox)
    - Detonation Stats -

Magnet Sensor: 163 (75/77 teams)
    Lever Sensor: 15 (10/77 teams)
    Light Sensor: 9 (6/77 teams)
    Time Over: 8 (5/77 teams)
    - Achievements -

First to open: digbus
    Last to open: lolbox
    Least attempts: digbus (4*) / 'OR'1'='1 (3)
    Most attempts: null (13)
    Average detonation: 06:36 (of 10:00)
    Fastest detonation: Badger / Hellfire (09:51)
    *: digbus has 4 attempts but 2 are wins; technically opened in 3 runs.

Comment

ah, so was digbus the "winner" then? it's a little hard to tell how the teams were ranked overall.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        ah, so was digbus the "winner" then? it's a little hard to tell how the teams were ranked overall.
        Yes, digbus is the official winner. Time elapsed is not that important, so first to defuse will always be the winner for this contest. Least attempts is not a good measurement because many teams share information, talk to each other in front of the crowd during their run, and generally do little to shield their progress / techniques from the onlookers.

dg
        [mfp]

Comment

I had a blast, it was amazing to see the crowds cheering people on and taking notes while awaiting their turn. We really could use stadium seating for this next year!

Comment

Working...
          X