This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DEF CON in the news

Judge orders halt to Defcon speech on subway card hacking, and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 (please: no comments about the politics of this, freedom of speech, etc. Thanks!)

Defcon opens with a bang, contests, and intrigue (General review of opening, including reference to BlackHat Media network sniffing incident, with video interview with DT and other people at the convention.)

Falling Tech Prices Enable Low-Budget Hackers

iPhones-Macintosh computers become apples of hackers' eyes

Really short "ad" (text) that describes a link to other links.: link to links

Still more stories about BH French Reporter incident with only casual reference to Defcon.

Covert Operation Floats Network-sniffing Balloon

Defcon’s badge from hell

Lock picking with a credit card, a photocopier, and some luck
    Last edited by TheCotMan; 08-09-2008, 10:52 PM.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Tulsa's DEFCON Comic Book Convention? and 2

Well. it *is* a story about *a* Defcon. Does that count? ]:>
      tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

Re: DEF CON in the news: MIT students

The court documents for the lawsuit against the MIT students are online and ca n be downloaded as PDF from:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V128/N30/subway/
        “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.”

Comment

Wired Magazine and the Mystery Box:
          http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...fcon-16-m.html

Enjoy.
          ======================================
          DJ Jackalope
          dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*
          www.dj-jackalope.com
          send in the drop bears!
          ======================================

Comment

Meter Meltdown Remains A Mystery, Speculation Of Planned Attack Grows:

Article that mentions a talk at Defcon and questions, "are, 'Hackers,' breaking these machines, or is it a defect?"

Article claims interview with Joe Grand, and links to a presentation about smart parking meter systems for parking and cities, which is supposed to take place at Defcon.

Comment

Lawyer turns hacker and tunes in on hacker legal services

Story about someone that states they will be presenting at Defcon.

Comment

Kevin in the news:
                http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-102...?tag=rtcol;pop

Jeff Moss in the news:
                http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10258634-83.html

Comment

ATM vendor gets security talk pulled from conferences July 1, 2009.
                  Originally posted by url1
                  ...a presentation has been pulled from Black Hat and Defcon...
                  Juniper halts ATM security discussion July 2, 2009
                  Originally posted by URL2
                  Juniper Networks has barred one of the company's security researchers from discussing security flaws in ATMs after an ATM maker threatened legal action, says PC World.

Staff security researcher Barnaby Jack had been set to deliver a 30 July talk entitled 'Jackpotting automated teller machines, at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas.

But Jack abruptly asked conference organisers to pull the talk, according to Black Hat Director Jeff Moss. The talk has also been pulled from Black Hat's sister conference, Defcon, he added.
                  And now for something completely different:

WTF? June 23, 2009

Originally posted by WTF?
                  John and Maggie Dilley along with Dave Darcy representing Milburn-based DefCon Sauses set up a tent and tables beside their sleek black pickup truck and trailer emblazoned with illustrated leaping flames to provide tastings of the wing sauces, habanero horseradishes and the other hot sauces they make.
                  I didn't know DT and the goons were making sauces!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                    ATM vendor gets security talk pulled from conferences
                    fucking lame. that was one i was really looking forward to, even if it was going to possibly be more hype and little delivery. (with a title like that, content is suspect)

still... i wish there was some sort requirement when you submit a talk that you either (a) have full permission from your employer to present or (b) agree that you'll quit your job and pull a Michael Lynn and give the talk anyway.

Full Disclosure - i am not personally acquainted with the fellow in question and for all i know he could be a decent guy. still... just seems like a douchey situation all around.

Anyone have the inside scoop on what talk is replacing this?
                    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      fucking lame. that was one i was really looking forward to, even if it was going to possibly be more hype and little delivery. (with a title like that, content is suspect)

still... i wish there was some sort requirement when you submit a talk that you either (a) have full permission from your employer to present or (b) agree that you'll quit your job and pull a Michael Lynn and give the talk anyway.

Full Disclosure - i am not personally acquainted with the fellow in question and for all i know he could be a decent guy. still... just seems like a douchey situation all around.

Anyone have the inside scoop on what talk is replacing this?
                      Barnaby is definitely a decent guy. Just saying.
                      The Dark Tangent: Use PGP Key ID: 0x5D2405E5 for sending me email
                      PGP Fingerprint: D121 EAAE D1B6 3D2E A0B1 953F FFAF A718 5D24 05E5

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post

I have had this happen to me. My employer signed off on a presentation I was going to do at the first ShmooCon and then about a month before the Con they changed their mind, whipped out my NDA and told me I couldn't do it.

And I have to disagree with pulling a Michael Lynn. I think quitting your job is about a retarded reaction, especially if you do have an NDA in place that would allow your (former) employer to sue your ass off.
                        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          I have had this happen to me. My employer signed off on a presentation I was going to do at the first ShmooCon and then about a month before the Con they changed their mind, whipped out my NDA and told me I couldn't do it.

And I have to disagree with pulling a Michael Lynn. I think quitting your job is about a retarded reaction, especially if you do have an NDA in place that would allow your (former) employer to sue your ass off.
                          I've quit a job to go to con, but I was trying to get out of there anyways and revoking my vacation was the last straw.

Depending on how deep the NDA hooks go, particularly in this economy, you better have a damn good reason to burn bridges like that.

Fortunately my employer (me) is unlikely to sue (myself). Now if I could just figure out US copyright law, my talk would be set.
                          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Scaramental Wine Taster for the Church Of WiFi
                          Buy our books!
                          "I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" – Adam Savage
                          CoWF WPA Hash Tables
                          My Pants Are Haunted! My Pants Are Haunted!

Comment

Fed cyber review revealed, action awaited: URL, July 6, 2009
                            Originally posted by url
                            “This is not something you can change overnight, but it had to start somewhere,” said Jeff Moss, founder of the Black Hat and DEFCON conferences. He said that securing the nation's infrastructure will be a daunting task because the government is using a lot of old technology that works, but isn't secure.

Comment

The Security 'Unconference' In Vegas:
                              Originally posted by url1
                              Most of the security action happening later this month will be in Vegas' Caesars Palace and the Riviera Hotel, where Black Hat USA and Defcon will convene.
                              SecurityBSides was created as an alternative venue for research talks that were either rejected by Black Hat or just not submitted. It's a free, participant-driven, informal get-together where security researchers will share their thoughts -- and bring their own beer.
                              It's not a protest or direct competitor to Black Hat, he [Jack Daniel] says
                              [more]

Comment

Working...
                              X