replied
    Re: NotaCon

Is there going to be a moat?

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    How many hostage takers this time around Deviant?
    hostage takers or hostages themselves? the course still just has the one guard/sentry/etc... but we've tended to see a dozen or more participants whenever it gets run at a con.

i can't wait to see how it is at LayerOne... more hype there and allegedly a very kickass set in the works.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

Sorry I missed it this year...

Good to hear GW is still going strong! How many hostage takers this time around Deviant? >:)

Leave a comment:

• IrishMASMS
    replied

After missing out last year, it was good to go this year. Though, something seemed to be missing - there were a few folks that were unable to make it, which impacted our enjoyment of the event.

But any weekend of g33kery is a good time in my book!

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied
    Re: Shipping

Originally posted by valanx View Post
    Greyhound, actually. They are great for oversize stuff as long as it doesn't weigh a lot. I've shipped body kits for cars that way with very little of an ordeal.
    That is awesome! I knew size was probably an issue in this as well, so I wasn't quite sure where you were looking.

I'll meet you at some point, I found out about Notacon too late to go.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
    Not sure where you were looking at shipping:

Greyhound, actually. They are great for oversize stuff as long as it doesn't weigh a lot. I've shipped body kits for cars that way with very little of an ordeal.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

[QUOTE=Deviant Ollam;93871]don't kill yourself over it... i mean, there will be lots of local equipment i think. but if there's a way to get things out there that doesn't break the bank, well... it would just make the room look so fucking badass!

I'm sure there will be plenty of local stuff, it isn't going to require me to put a kidney in hock or anything, I just need to get a box (or build one) that will fit this stuff. The only ammo box that would do would maybe be a stinger missile case, and I'm pretty sure someone would stop me at the door were I carrying that around.

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

Not sure where you were looking at shipping:
    FedEx ground is cheaper then UPS after about 17lbs. Then it goes to about a $1 a lb. Not sure if you were checking regular freight rates or ? Not sure how much they tack on for size of items as well though.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

I've checked shipping rates, they may be doable
    don't kill yourself over it... i mean, there will be lots of local equipment i think. but if there's a way to get things out there that doesn't break the bank, well... it would just make the room look so fucking badass!

if that pick rapist that was at notacon shows up I may need to bring three extra walls.
    heh... yeah, Shitadel... if he turns up i think the replacement walls will only be necessary if we knock some stuff over in the process of throwing him out of the room.

Leave a comment:

• Samurai Drifter
    replied

Sounds awesome, had I a) been able to make it to Cleveland and b) not been at my local anime convention that weekend, I definitely would have tried to go.

But, then, there's always next year. One con a year is never enough.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

I've checked shipping rates, they may be doable unless these weigh a lot more than I'm thinking. Broken down I can get two full walls into a 48x13x14 setup.

Do you need extra panels? I don't know how much got beat on to the point of needing repair last year, but if that pick rapist that was at notacon shows up I may need to bring three extra walls.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Sorry, its Shane.
    ah, alright man. kickass. sorry to spill the beans on your clark kent identity here on the forums, heh. ah well, you tend to be more public about it than me.

I was up in the village. I thought that if something broke or needed to be altered it would be easier to have the panel removable than to have to get in there while everyone was working on the other locks.
    yeah, your design is fucking fantastic. if there was any way to get it out to DefCon i'd love to see the pagoda setup in the village. maybe we need to speak with anyone who is driving from the east coast or look into crazy cheap ground shipping options. You know that large wooden artillery cannon crate that i had sitting on the Gringo Warrior course? I have more of them. I'd be willing to bet that you could pack almost an entire pagoda or two into a crate like that. I don't even want to imagine what shipping would cost there, however. Then again, if you were willing to sacrifice one checked bag... i bet you could get the whole thing close to 50 lbs. and fly with it, hehehe.

Once I moved and met up with dosman, the design portions matured and were realized.
    ah, you're both in the same area... i didn't know that. where abouts are you located? (you can PM me that response if you prefer) you'd be welcome to join the east coast TOOOL people at group meetings or group shooting events that our friends all organize.

That roof was a pain, mainly because of the lack of tools and partially because I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. But it ended up coming together pretty well
    well, it wound up looking great, man. terrific work.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Shane, perhaps?
    Sorry, its Shane.

The design idea for those walls started back at Defcon last year when I was up in the village. I thought that if something broke or needed to be altered it would be easier to have the panel removable than to have to get in there while everyone was working on the other locks. Once I moved and met up with dosman, the design portions matured and were realized. That roof was a pain, mainly because of the lack of tools and partially because I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. But it ended up coming together pretty well and I will post some of the photos I have later. Next time, I'll document the work a little more.

While the walls don't fit into boxes like Gringo Warrior, they do break down enough to fit into my trunk and back seat.
    Last edited by valanx; April 9, 2008, 09:20. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

We are already talking about designs for our next project.
    this is where i have to reveal my horrid ignorance and disconnect between name, nicks, and faces. were you one of the folk i met at the village at NotaCon? Dosman with another nick? Shane, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X