Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obstacle course

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Obstacle course

    Longhorn Lockpicking/ LI will be hosting the first ever Lockpicking Obstacle course!!
    !

  • #2
    Re: Obstacle course

    Wouldn't Deviant's Gringo Warrior from Shmoocon this year count as an Obstacle Course?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Obstacle course

      Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
      Wouldn't Deviant's Gringo Warrior from Shmoocon this year count as an Obstacle Course?
      I would say it was a pretty good course and fairly open to modification. We added levels of difficulty at notacon (marshall transport sleeves, blindfolds, etc) Perhaps some of the LI/Longhorn course could be integrated with Gringo Warrior?
      ----------------------------------------
      Fraternal Order of Locksport

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Obstacle course

        Originally posted by valanx View Post
        I would say it was a pretty good course and fairly open to modification. We added levels of difficulty at notacon (marshall transport sleeves, blindfolds, etc) Perhaps some of the LI/Longhorn course could be integrated with Gringo Warrior?
        I'm sure it Gringo Warrior could be improved, it was great at Shmoo. I was just making a statement in regards to the OP's statement of the 'first ever' obstacle course.

        Of course, it could be the first ever at Defcon, we'll assume that's what he meant. ;)
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Obstacle course

          Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          Wouldn't Deviant's Gringo Warrior from Shmoocon this year count as an Obstacle Course?
          we've actually tended to prefer calling Gringo Warrior more of a "scenario-based escape game" or some such silly title. however, there certainly has been an Obstacle Course at DefCon before... KaiGoth and the DC719 crew who built much of the "original" public lockpick displays (back before I even started the LP VIllage) had an Obstacle Course as one of their events. It was rolled back to some degree due to lack of participation, etc. We shall see how it fares as an event this year.

          As it stands now... the following events are officially in the works...

          1. Lock Field Stripping - run by schuyler, happening in village skybox at a specific time
          2. Speed Picking - overseen by multiple members of TOOOL and LI, happening in skybox at a specific time
          3. Obstacle Course - run by Doug and LI / LLC, happening in skybox at a specific time
          4. Points Competition - overseen by all staff, happening in skybox all weekend
          5. Gringo Warrior - run by me, happening down on contest floor on Saturday from about noon to five. (possible migration of the gear up to the "stage" for the last half hour while the top half-dozen contenders or so get to re-run for the best time possible.)

          there's always room for more fun up in the skybox so if folk wanna show up with more gear and let people have at it, i say by all means. (just didn't want the 719-ers being lost to history as far as the "first" obstacle course is concerned)
          Last edited by Deviant Ollam; May 12, 2008, 19:30. Reason: clarification regarding Obstacle Course's proper standing as a recognized event
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Obstacle course

            Originally posted by dougfarre View Post
            Longhorn Lockpicking/ LI will be hosting the first ever Lockpicking Obstacle course!!
            !
            Is this Longhorn? http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/llpc/

            "Longhorn Lockpicking and Locksport International will be helping organize the lockpicking village at the conference this year."

            Do explain...
            ======================================
            DJ Jackalope
            dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

            send in the drop bears!
            ======================================

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Obstacle course

              Is there going to be room for everyone in the skybox?
              ----------------------------------------
              Fraternal Order of Locksport

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Obstacle course

                Everyone chill. It seems like people are starting to take the tone like "who is this guy trying to edge in on the LP village?", that's not the case at all. As a matter of fact if you go look at the details for this section of the forum it specifically states that LSI, now just LI, has and does help with the LP Village.

                dougfarre is one of the most visible and respected people in the locksport community and helps run Locksport International, they have Locksport meetings worldwide. If you've ever been on lockpicking101.com and asked a question there's a good chance doug or another LI member has answered your question.

                To summarize...relax, we know this guy.
                .: Grifter :.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Obstacle course

                  Sorry if anything I said led to that. I was checking on space because of items I was planning to bring (discussed in a different thread). I'm excited to see so many events planned for this year and definitely don't want to get in the way of any of them.
                  ----------------------------------------
                  Fraternal Order of Locksport

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Obstacle course

                    Originally posted by Grifter View Post
                    Everyone chill. It seems like people are starting to take the tone like "who is this guy trying to edge in on the LP village?", that's not the case at all. As a matter of fact if you go look at the details for this section of the forum it specifically states that LSI, now just LI, has and does help with the LP Village.

                    dougfarre is one of the most visible and respected people in the locksport community and helps run Locksport International, they have Locksport meetings worldwide. If you've ever been on lockpicking101.com and asked a question there's a good chance doug or another LI member has answered your question.

                    To summarize...relax, we know this guy.
                    I didn't mean anything by it either, more or less just amused by the statement of 'the first'. I wish I could make it to Defcon, but my horse won't cross the Mississippi.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Obstacle course

                      Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                      I didn't mean anything by it either, more or less just amused by the statement of 'the first'. I wish I could make it to Defcon, but my horse won't cross the Mississippi.
                      Swimming lessons still going badly?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Obstacle course

                        Any word on the obstacle course?
                        ----------------------------------------
                        Fraternal Order of Locksport

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Obstacle course

                          Originally posted by valanx View Post
                          Any word on the obstacle course?
                          doug and his crew may be in hardcore pre-HOPE mode. we'll all see them there so i'm certain more news will arise before DefCon.
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X