• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorn
    replied
    Re: youtomb

Originally posted by xor View Post
    Violence has always been ok in America, it's the sex that everyone seems to get upset about.
    "If you suck on a tit the movie gets an R rating. If you hack the tit off with an axe it will be PG." - Jack Nicholson

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

e.g. google censoring content from the Chinese people.
    i don't know how practical it would be... but i would actually support a law here in the U.S. that would penalize companies for "aiding and abetting" human rights violations, even if those violations took place elsewhere in the world. Someone made the point once that the great firewall of china works using almost exclusively us-supplied technology. And we're not just talking routers and other smart switching devices, but also actual code and systems. These were contract jobs that Cisco, Google, and others bid on and won. That deserves penalties here in the states, in my opinion.

Technically there are penalties, in the court of public opinion. People could choose to react negatively and buy other vendors' goods. But without public knowledge of these offenses to humanity, how will the outrage ever develop? Hmm... maybe Congress or some other oversight body should just censure companies as opposed to issuing fines, etc. I don't know... something to indicate that we're watching what's happening and we do not approve.

Violence has always been ok in America, it's the sex that everyone seems to get upset about.
    Yes, this is quite true. That's why the original South Park movie was so terrific, for touching on those themes.

For anyone who is curious about censorship, free speech, and how sexual themes are often more demonized in the USA than violence, i would recommend two outstanding films...

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006)
    Fuck (2005)

... each one is a masterpiece, and they're pretty easy to find on DVD or on Torrent sites. (of course, searching for the latter one can result in quite a few pages of results that one must dig through, hah)

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Senator Lieberman asked Google to remove violent terrorist-posted videos from YouTube (violence within a video is a violation of YouTube's Community Guidelines):

However, Google declined to do so. Without making this a political argument--does Google have a responsibility to police their own videos for Community Guideline violations? They seem to respond pretty well to copyright infringement requests.
    It depends whether or not a company is trying to do business with China apparently. e.g. google censoring content from the Chinese people.

xor

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

I thought it was interesting that Senator Lieberman asked Google to remove violent terrorist-posted videos from YouTube (violence within a video is a violation of YouTube's Community Guidelines):
    # Graphic or gratuitous violence is not allowed. If your video shows someone getting hurt, attacked, or humiliated, don't post it.
    # YouTube is not a shock site. Don't post gross-out videos of accidents, dead bodies and similar things.
    However, Google declined to do so. Without making this a political argument--does Google have a responsibility to police their own videos for Community Guideline violations? They seem to respond pretty well to copyright infringement requests.

Leave a comment:

• sharxbyte
    replied

interesting... i always wondered what happen to those controversial videos that get deleted...

Leave a comment:

• xor
    started a topic youtomb

youtomb

Source CNN

Wonder what happened to your favorite video on youtube. Well you can now find out at http://youtomb.mit.edu. These people track what happened to the videos and why. More important they publish their source code.

xor

Ps It's getting hammered right now because it was just announced on CNN so you mite want to wait before checking it out.
Working...
X