Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol Cam

http://pistolcam.com/

Do you think this will have a positive or negative effect on law enforcement?

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Pistol Cam

Originally posted by xor View Post
    http://pistolcam.com/

Do you think this will have a positive or negative effect on law enforcement?

xor
    Immediately? None. Zero. Zilch.

Chiefs won't buy them, because of three reasons. First, it's yet another thing to spend money on, which will be seen as frivolous. Second, there will be a TCO issue. A complete replacement of duty holsters will be required, not to mention any training, and cost of retrofitting them to the department's current weapons. At an average price of $75-$100 for a holster, on top of whatever the cost of the devices themselves, plus the armorers' time, will all add up to a cost that will be prohibitive for most departments. Third, armorers will hate them, (any mods to a sidearm are usually seen as bad by most armorers) and probably recommend against them.

These are basically the same reasons you still don't see laser sites on police sidearms.

Where you may see these -in a few years- would be on SWAT teams' long guns. Long guns are better suited to such mods, because a foregrip can usually be changed without effecting the rest of the weapon. There would be no issue over holsters either. Also, since SWAT operations are usually seen as high profile, and therefore high liability, there might be more of a push for them for those reasons.

EDIT: I just read the press release on the company's website. $695 for the device and holster. While that negates the issue of the replacing the holsters, the device costs almost twice times the price of a weapon. No chief in his right mind would spend that kind of cash on something unproven.

One other point, most cops go their entire career without firing their sidearm in the line of duty. Given that you'd be effectively doubling the cost of something that gets used rarely, I can't see this being embraced by police on sidearms for a long, long time, if ever.
    Last edited by Thorn; May 23, 2008, 18:11.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Yeah, I think it's a bad idea myself. One it would take the context out of the much of the shooting. These videos would no doubt make it to the internet, though I'm sure the Faces of Death, & Rotten.com people are very excited about it.

I would rather see 360 degree views on the car cams, or officer cams if it was possible and a not a burden. I watch a lot of Cops, in fact a lot of TruTV and a lot of times they can't necessarily keep people in front of the cameras.

In the big picture cameras are here to stay and it's only going to become more intrusive. We are actually in a unique situation here in America where we are getting like 100% coverage all through voluntary means. Between cameras, camera phones, private surveillance cameras, & government owned street corner cameras who would have thought that we were becoming big brother.

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
        EDIT: I just read the press release on the company's website. $695 for the device and holster. While that negates the issue of the replacing the holsters, the device costs almost twice times the price of a weapon. No chief in his right mind would spend that kind of cash on something unproven.

Device 695.00 / ( Gun ) 2 = 347.50.

Now where can you get a quality sidearm for $350.00 ??

I'm currently in the market for one.

They wont touch this one....they already have a camera in the car. That and the snoopy neighbor with his cell phone camera / video feed....
        Cliff Stoll...because real IT history is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post

Well, I believe that law enforcement organizations buying in bulk get significantly better prices that the average Joe Gun. In fact, many gun sellers have law enforcement pricing for even single purchases. So I don't think $350 unreasonable in this case.
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post

PD prices run about $350-400 for el cheapo crap (which is to say Glock) in quantity.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
              PD prices run about $350-400 for el cheapo crap (which is to say Glock) in quantity.
              Big fan of Glocks are we?
              DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                Big fan of Glocks are we?
                Glocks suck.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                  Glocks suck.
                  While the one's i've shot have "felt good" in my hand, i don't know if i'd be willing to shell out the cash for one. They seem to have a price tag that doesn't match what some folks say about them.

Then again, other people will swear by them. Seems like feelings on this board aren't overwhelmingly positive. On a side note, Gladys absolutely chews Glocks up and spits them out.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                    While the one's i've shot have "felt good" in my hand, i don't know if i'd be willing to shell out the cash for one. They seem to have a price tag that doesn't match what some folks say about them.

Then again, other people will swear by them. Seems like feelings on this board aren't overwhelmingly positive. On a side note, Gladys absolutely chews Glocks up and spits them out.
                    They shoot alright, but I was never confident about the construction. That was confirmed when my duty-issue Glock broke when it definitely should not have done so. From that day on, I refused to carry one, and would have been happier carrying a squirt gun by Mattel. Going into an armed situation, you must be confident in your weapon. The last thing you want to be worrying about is whether the damed thing is going to break when you need it the most.

My preference is for H&K and S&W.
                    Thorn

Comment

I'm a 45 man, Colt or Springfield Armory, old faithful. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Beretta. How are they holding up in the military, anyway? Especially in the big sandboxes.

xor

Ps About 6 - 9 months they caught a guy driving around with Desert Eagle .50 semi-auto pistol(the gun is anything but a carry piece) in his car. He got into a road rage incident on the downtown streets of Philadelphia and started firing. Luckily only one passer by got winged.
                      Last edited by xor; May 28, 2008, 06:59.

Comment

The Berettas hold up rather well over here. But like you, give me a 1911A1 anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                          The Berettas hold up rather well over here. But like you, give me a 1911A1 anyday.
                          I would agree the Barettas do pretty well considering the environment. Whether or not 9mm is sufficient is an entirely different question!
                          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
                          X