Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caller ID tweaking

Hey all,

My question to you is not about doing funky things with one's ANI (many of us have at least one modded PBX or VoIP gear up our sleeve somewhere if we want to spoof who we are when placing a call) but rather editing one's CNAM data.

The databases at each CO which correlate the caller ID number to a name that can be displayed on any capable Call ID unit... where do they get the data that populates those text fields? It appears to derive from the billing name, but i've seen variation there.

So, my big question is...

How easy is it to change that text string? Are there special departments or other such parties to whom one should address the matter? What about cel phones? Anyone ever had any luck there?

One of my clients is a school that recently changed their institution's name but the former title still appears on call ID boxes so they want to update that. I've tried speaking to our phone service providers but gotten the runaround and shrug-off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, both for POTS service as well as cell phones (the school has some Sprint PCS mobile phones, too... lord knows what division of Sprint i'd have to call to get them to update that)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Caller ID tweaking

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    How easy is it to change that text string? Are there special departments or other such parties to whom one should address the matter? What about cel phones? Anyone ever had any luck there?
    In my experience it is nearly impossible to find people that can deviate from their nearly scripted tasks to perform additional feats for customers. In the past, I've always found that canceling service and establishing a new service, under the new name.

In my past dealings with telco's, if there isn't an option on their screen to do what you want, it doesn't exist.

Comment

Hey all,

My question to you is not about doing funky things with one's ANI (many of us have at least one modded PBX or VoIP gear up our sleeve somewhere if we want to spoof who we are when placing a call) but rather editing one's CNAM data.

The databases at each CO which correlate the caller ID number to a name that can be displayed on any capable Call ID unit... where do they get the data that populates those text fields? It appears to derive from the billing name, but i've seen variation there.

So, my big question is...

One of my clients is a school that recently changed their institution's name but the former title still appears on call ID boxes so they want to update that. I've tried speaking to our phone service providers but gotten the runaround and shrug-off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, both for POTS service as well as cell phones (the school has some Sprint PCS mobile phones, too... lord knows what division of Sprint i'd have to call to get them to update that)

Dev,
      Start here: NJ Office of Emergency Telecommunications Services aka "911 Commission". They maintain close ties with the telcos for the ANI and Calling Number Delivery (CND ak "Caller ID") information. While they usually can't change the data directly, I'm betting they can tell you the what department, if not the exact person, to talk to at the telco.

I would simply explain that you've been getting the run around, and that it is a matter of public safety since it is a school, etc.

As for how difficult it is to change it, it isn't. It's a simple ASCII string. The real trick is to get to the right person who has access to the database.

One caveat: If the school has a PBX, the string may be in the PBX hardware at the school. If that's the case, you're going to have to get a tech manual and change it yourself, or get the PBX vendor to change it.
      Last edited by Thorn; June 5, 2008, 11:18. Reason: Typo
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
        Start here: NJ Office of Emergency Telecommunications Services aka "911 Commission". They maintain close ties with the telcos for the ANI and Calling Number Delivery (CND ak "Caller ID") information. While they usually can't change the data directly, I'm betting they can tell you the what department, if not the exact person, to talk to at the telco. ... it is a matter of public safety since it is a school, etc.
        that last note specifically is a bit of leverage i've not thought to employ. i will definitely take that tack and start with the ETS Office.

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
        If the school has a PBX, the string may be in the PBX hardware at the school.
        yeah, i checked into that already. theirs is a wicked small PBX and it just ties into basic POTS lines for service... no PRI, etc.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

that last note specifically is a bit of leverage i've not thought to employ. i will definitely take that tack and start with the ETS Office.
          "IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!" <sob>

If that doesn't work, some concerned parent bitching to the local papers might be another lever, but I'm betting the ETS office will probably know how to proceed.

yeah, i checked into that already. theirs is a wicked small PBX and it just ties into basic POTS lines for service... no PRI, etc.
          I figured you'd checked since you'd mentioned PBXs in the original post, but then again, I also know how many times I've missed the obvious, resulting in a Homer Simpson patented forehead slap and "D'Uh!"
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Working...
          X